Depression. What effects can diet have?

Options
1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
I don't know if it's too much of a long shot. I have been following the candida diet for about two weeks now. I feel a difference in my body as far as little nuisances are concerned. I intend to keep this up until I am cleared of the problem, and at that point keep my dietary habits wise. My trouble is, I have been exceedingly depressed. While I have had a tendency toward depression my whole life, this just feels different. It feels a little darker than usual. Can this diet play a part in this feeling?

(DISCLAIMER: this is NOT a debate. Candida overgrowth can be caused by a number of triggers such as poor diet, hormones after pregnancy, anti-biotics, prednisone, lowered immunity for what ever reason, etc.... clearing up the problem with diet or any other means does not always promise that there will not be a return, and not everyone who clears up their candida will need to remain on a candida preventative diet for all of eternity.)

Replies

Options
    Okay.... maybe I am the only one who thinks they could be related? :ohwell:
  • FaugHorn
    FaugHorn Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    You're basically cutting out all forms of sugar, sugar triggers positive centers of our brains, I'd say for sure that could cause depression.
  • teelynn35
    teelynn35 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I think they could be. My son is bi polar. He has some "trigger" foods that I think set him off. Play with your diet and do alot of research. Also, don't forget to exercise. Exercise can improve your moods. I know in the middle of a depression it is very hard to get up off your butt and move. I swear it works!!!!
  • teelynn35
    teelynn35 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    You're basically cutting out all forms of sugar, sugar triggers positive centers of our brains, I'd say for sure that could cause depression.

^and this
  • Denise1224
    Denise1224 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it's too much of a long shot. I have been following the candida diet for about two weeks now. I feel a difference in my body as far as little nuisances are concerned. I intend to keep this up until I am cleared of the problem, and at that point keep my dietary habits wise. My trouble is, I have been exceedingly depressed. While I have had a tendency toward depression my whole life, this just feels different. It feels a little darker than usual. Can this diet play a part in this feeling?

(DISCLAIMER: this is NOT a debate. Candida overgrowth can be caused by a number of triggers such as poor diet, hormones after pregnancy, anti-biotics, prednisone, lowered immunity for what ever reason, etc.... clearing up the problem with diet or any other means does not always promise that there will not be a return, and not everyone who clears up their candida will need to remain on a candida preventative diet for all of eternity.)

I'm afraid I don't know what the candida diet is so I may not be of much help.... but given that you've always had a tendency to be depressed but are noticing a significant difference this time I have to ask; have you spoken to your doctor about how you're feeling? Does your doctor know you're on this diet? I ask that last question because if the diet really is a cause of depression and you have a tendency toward depression it could be this diet isn't the right one for you? I'm not debating or trying to argue with you it just seems maybe there is more going on here and maybe it would be good to see your doctor. Good luck to you in your journey though :smile:
  • Blondie251975
    Blondie251975 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I am not familiar with the candida diet (I will look it up), but I have some serious anxiety issues (closely related to depression). I have noticed that the cleaner I eat, and the more exercise I get...I have lost about 35 pounds since mid - January, I have been able to wein off of anxiety medication. I don't know about your specific situation, but I firmly believe that diet and exercise can be very closely related to anxiety/depression problems....let me read up on candida.
  • sarah12277
    sarah12277 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I think it might depend on what you cut out of your diet for the candida diet. I know that's cutting sugars but did you happen to cut back of caffeine such as coffee as well?

From experiences that family and friends have had that do battle with depression, 1 cup of coffee, etc helped them with their depression. Doesn't cure it, just helped.. so if that was cut out of your diet I wonder if it had been helping you as well previously.

As others suggested, please discuss with your doctor as well.
  • PototaeLuvvr
    Options
    I am on the pototae cleanse.
    Options
    Hmmmm interesting, I didn't think about the sugar. I have been pretty much on the lowest carb, lowest sugar veggies I can find. Maybe I took it too far? I did not cut out coffee, even though they say that we should. I gave up trying to talk to doctors about this kind of thing a very long time ago. I always get an eye roll and they wave me off. Go to another doctor and repeat. I don't feel that I am a danger to my self or others, just feel like laying down and crying. Thanks for the good feedback on this. I am going to do some experimenting.
    Options
    I am on the pototae cleanse.

Potato cleanse? I have never heard of this.
  • christabel6
    christabel6 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I know someone who did the candida diet (isn't the complete cycle something like six months?) because she suffered very badly and it really worked for her. She used to have awful symptoms that affected her mood and she hasn't had a recurrence of either so that's a win in both senses. So it sounds like unless it's going to tip you into a serious depression, overall it's worth doing providing you can cope with the symptoms right now.

Could the depression be a symptom of candida die-off?
  • torilougher
    torilougher Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I've had severe depression and recently I Started the Belly Fat Cure diet which cuts down dramatically sugar intake. For the first few days I felt really low/faint/angry but about a week in I started doing exercise (just 15 mins of running a day) and I started feeling better. My advice is to start doing (if you're not already) exercise. Still on the diet and doing exercise and I feel better than I did before!!
    Options
    I know someone who did the candida diet (isn't the complete cycle something like six months?) because she suffered very badly and it really worked for her. She used to have awful symptoms that affected her mood and she hasn't had a recurrence of either so that's a win in both senses. So it sounds like unless it's going to tip you into a serious depression, overall it's worth doing providing you can cope with the symptoms right now.

Could the depression be a symptom of candida die-off?

I think it could be a combination of that and maybe the sugar intake being so low. I just got this in my messages from a very helpful person:
    http://outofsugar.typepad.com/out-of-sugar/2011/05/serotonin-what-it-is-and-what-it-does.html
  • pterradactyl
    Options
    Sugar withdrawal, if you wanna call it that, can really send your mood down the drain. That could be part of it. Also if you are missing out on any vitamins--I know that my depression can really get thrown up a notch if I change things. If your diet has influenced any specific category, maybe look into a supplement?
  • bearwith
    bearwith Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Poor you. Does the reduction in carbs affect your mood? Try low GI foods - release carbs slowly and these feed your brain.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Do you get enough fats? There are numerous studies that show not getting enough fats is linked to depression.