any 30 day shred tips before I start???

Options
Hello! I will be starting Jillian Michaels 30 day shred tomorrow and was wondering if anyone who has done it had any tips or words of wisdom for me. Anything at all....what you found to be the best food to eat before hand, any encouraging words you told yourself to keep giving 100% throughout the whole workout, other workouts you did along with the 30DS...just anything at all.

Any before and after pics you want to share would be awesome, too!

Thanks you guys!!

Replies

• honey_bee_keysha
    honey_bee_keysha Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Keep going! There may be moments where you want to stop but keep pushing through it.
  • evnevelle
    evnevelle Posts: 13
    Options
    It's definitely worth it at the end when you see the changes in your body! The best thing about it.
    For additional workout I just walked and did some yoga.
  • chellebublz
    chellebublz Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Don't be afraid to modify things that you can't do. If you can do it, do as many as you can, but if you feel like you are dying, you can modify and it will still be just as effective.
  • supahstar71
    supahstar71 Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    Take your measurements before you start. And take pics. Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • angel101netta
    angel101netta Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Bump

How do u modify jumping jacks, if someone has a you tube clip that be helpful.
  • kleonard42
    kleonard42 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys! I will for sure be keeping all of this in mind.

Here's to day 1 of my journey to some awesome body changes!!! Wish me luck :D

Edited to add:: even though I'm starting this today, I would still appreciate any tips/encouragement/pics to help me along the way. Thanks!!!
  • neretete
    neretete Posts: 30
    Options
    Hello! I will be starting Jillian Michaels 30 day shred tomorrow and was wondering if anyone who has done it had any tips or words of wisdom for me. Anything at all....what you found to be the best food to eat before hand, any encouraging words you told yourself to keep giving 100% throughout the whole workout, other workouts you did along with the 30DS...just anything at all.

Any before and after pics you want to share would be awesome, too!

Thanks you guys!!

Expect to be VERY sore the first two to three days! When I start it I will take like 4 ibuprofin before I even start and continue about every 6 hours for the first two days, But push through it! By the third day your body should settle right in and all you will get is normal workout muscle fatigue. Good luck! I am planning on starting in a couple weeks. I want to get a few pounds closer to goal weight before really focusing on toning.
  • cfredz
    cfredz Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I am starting it tonight too! I am scared haha
  • mrs_mab
    mrs_mab Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Started this morning! LOVED it! It made me feel a little bit like this :tongue:
  • SweetCourt
    SweetCourt Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I did my first day on Friday- I was soooo sore all weekend! I am going to continue tonight. I have seen some awesome before/after pics from the workout!

Good Luck :smile:
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    #1 tip: Just do it, no excuses
  • alikat2986
    alikat2986 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Pay closer attention to your FORM during your workouts instead of keeping up with the speed. Speed will come in time and when form is good, results are better!!!!!!!
  • mrs_mab
    Options
    what they ^^^^ said!!!
  • Ashwee87
    Ashwee87 Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    - Use 1 or 2 lbs weights. (I started/am using 5 lbs weights. It is hard...really hard. But I push through it. lol)
    - Don't eat before working out. lol
    - Keep it up, even if it is hard.
    - Ignore the scale, it is a lying b*tch.
    - Measure yourself and take BEFORE pictures.

I am on Day 19; so I still have 11 more days to go. The scale hasn't moved much, but I am stronger, can do actual push-ups now (haven't done those since before 2000) and am losing inches. I have dropped a pants size as well!
  • retiree2006
    retiree2006 Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Bump

Due to "ankle issues" I modify by just stepping out one leg and back in, right leg then left leg...trying to stretch outward as much as possible...same arm lifts though. Might be some other modification, but it works for me!
  • ajhugz
    ajhugz Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    Proper form is more important than keeping up with the dvd pace. I've done 30 day shred and doing ripped in 30 now. I do additional cardio. Started c25k a couple weeks ago. You may not see your results on the scale in the first couple weeks.

Finish the entire 30 days. So many people including myself have done one of her dvds without completing and eventually look at someone else's before/after photos and wish we completed it.

Jilian Michaels has a recommended diet on her site. If you don't want to follow it just try to stick to eating less processed foods and more veggies. Also try not to eat too many low fat, no fat, or reduced fat foods. They take away the fat and add more sodium or more sugar in most instances.
  • Sweet_Gurl_Next_Door
    Sweet_Gurl_Next_Door Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I am going to restart tommorrow myself on this also. I had trouble trying to figure out the girlie push ups. I can do the jumping jacks no problem and the jumping rope. would like to know how to modify the push ups.
  • pannellkat
    pannellkat Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I finished level 1 day 10 last night, abou to move onto level 2.

Tips:

Stretch more before and after. This video does not incorporate enough stretching. I would add 5 more minutes in the beginning and at the end for stretching than what Jillian does in the video...SO IMPORTANT!

If you can't handle the 5 lb weights, use 3 lb weights. There are some strength routines where the 5 lb weights may be a bit much, try to stick with it if you can because it does get easier but we don't want any injuries so use 3 lbs if its too hard. No matter what, USE WEIGHTS PERIOD! It will help you transform your body that much more.

Modify if necessary and watch your form at all times. Doing exercises in the wrong form can just a be a waste of time and energy.

DONT GIVE UP! I wanted to a few times, but I did not. Use a rest day when needed. Listen to your body so you don't injure yourself.

GOOD LUCK!
  • mrs_mab
    Options
    I am going to restart tommorrow myself on this also. I had trouble trying to figure out the girlie push ups. I can do the jumping jacks no problem and the jumping rope. would like to know how to modify the push ups.
    Do them from your knees keeping same form, if you can't go all the way down just go as far as you can until you build up more strength.
  • LoveCR22
    LoveCR22 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Bump

here's one way... He shows it around the min 15 mark

http://video.answers.com/jumping-jacks-with-modifications-exercise-475056273