Too much water? Help please

Options
Since i started working out ive been drinking about 4 40oz containers of water. 160oz of water.... it sounds like alot but it really feels like the bottle holds less than 40. And i dont force myself to drink water i just naturally become thirsty. i was searching on google and came upon water intoxication sooo i got a little scared hahaha. Am i drinking too much water? Or am I fine drinking this much? Thanks!

Replies

• Mom_To_5
    Mom_To_5 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it is too much water but i do know, it is best to drink at least 8 8 oz glasses day which is only 64 oz, so maybe it is too much but don't know. i know if i drank that much i would be spending the whole day n the bathroom and get nothing done, i spend enough time there drinking 64 oz.!! LOL
  • summersk
    summersk Posts: 59
    Options
    I drink any where between 12 and 16 8oz glasses of water a day, it's something I've done since I was pregnant with my 1st child almost 7 years ago. My body needs that much water, if I don't drink at least 10 a day I feel dehydrated and get a headache. I, like you, do not force myself to drink that much. I drink when I am thirsty, I am just thirsty a lot during the day. Having done this for close to 7 years I've never had any problems from drinking that much water. Our bodies are 78% water, some of us just need more to keep us going than other. I look at it this way, at least you're drinking 160oz of water rather than that much or more of soda! I don't see any problems with drink that much water as long as you are processing it correctly and voiding close to what you are taking in you shouldn't have a problem. But if you are truly worried about it, you may want to see a doctor and have them run some test to make sure that everything is functioning properly. Good Luck and I hope this helps. :smile:

856238.png
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    That seems like a lot of water. If you are that thirsty, you may want to share that with your doctor.
  • kashz
    kashz Posts: 3
    Options
    It is recommended by a doctor to drink at least 8 pints of water a day :D
  • oAngieMaeo
    oAngieMaeo Posts: 67
    Options
    I read you should drink half of your body weight in oz. So for 4 days I did just that... It was 17 of my water bottles I drink from. It was HARD and seriously I was soooo bloated I couldn't even take my ring off... I stopped and just drank my normal (about 10 of my water bottles) and the swelling all went down. I will never try to drink that much again!! It was horrible.
  • poisonapple
    poisonapple Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I have heard that drinking too much water can wash lots of important nutrients out of your body basically making your system too clean. I have no idea how much truth there is to this (I haven't done much research).
    I would think they are meaning VERY large amounts. I think as long as you feel good then you are just fine and I wouldn't worry but if you wanna do some research you could always look into that.
    I have a feeling that is more for those people with drinking disorders that will drink multiple gallons in a very short time but food for thought I guess =)
  • AmandaB4588
    AmandaB4588 Posts: 655
    Options
    No, that isn't too much water. You would have to drink way more in a short period of time to get water intoxication.
  • BelovedGarden
    Options
    Check with your doctor to see if you could be diabetic. It is a possibility if you find you are very thirsty.
  • yentess
    yentess Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    you might want to be checked by a doctor as extreme thirst can be a sign of diabetes. Otherwise if that is all you drink you should be just fine and like the post above me says you only get the intoxication by drinking extremely large amounts in a very short time, so if your water is spread out over the whole day you will be fine!
  • withtree
    withtree Posts: 14
    Options
    That amount of water should be okay, however, if you are drinking that much, due to thirst, and you are not working out to the point of sweating buckets, then you should seriously be checked for diabetes as that is one of the major signs of the disease!!!!!!!!!
  • Tamishumate
    Tamishumate Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I drink one gallon of water a day, I make it my goal to drink all that, and in doing that, I find that I dont drink other crap, like Diet Soda, Cause it will interfere with my water intake LOL. ITs true though! I work out alot in a night, so I go thru about 33 ounces in my workout alone, the other 66 ounces I try to drink prior to 2 pm, then the other 33 ounces I drink between 2 pm and my workout and finish it off before bed. When I dont do this, I can tell!
  • lilmissy2
    lilmissy2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    When you say 'water intoxication' I assume you are talking about hyponatremia? Hyponatremia has to do with the amount of water in your system versus the amount of electrolytes. If you are working out a lot and watching sodium intake, I would be worried about that much water.

Just as an addition... fat in our bodies doesn't require water, lean tissue does. This means that when we say 'drink half your weight in ounces' it doesn't mean if you are 200lbs overweight that you need an extra 100 ounces of water. It should be half of your ideal body weight (unless you actually know your lean weight, in which case you could aim for half of that).
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    I used to be big on advocating water, always saying drink drink drink, the result is now I have very low sodium because I took my own advice. So now I have to be very very careful not to drink much. Drinking too much water... Yes, It does happen and it can happen to anyone, I'm the perfect example, I never believed any of the links or even went to read them when others shared you can overdrink water.

Same as anything else, EVERYTHING in moderation. There really is no reason to drink more water than you need, it doesn't help you lose weight and it can cause problems down the road. Getting in enough water DOES help flush out toxins and help lose weigh it's the overdrinking part that's not necessary.

I never would in a million years would have thought it would happen to me and there really is no warning, you simply flush too many good things out of your body and screw up your electrolytes often irreversible. One day you take a typical blood test and find out the results.

Simply my experience with not listening to others in the past and being too stubborn to at least look up alternate links to read. I didn't realize I was being stubborn, I thought I was right!:blushing: :laugh: :ohwell:
    Becca:drinker: <~~empty cups:tongue:

*****Electrolytes*******
    Physiology . any of certain inorganic compounds, mainly sodium, potassium, magnesium, calcium, chloride, and bicarbonate, that dissociate in biological fluids into ions capable of conducting electrical currents and constituting a major force in controlling fluid balance within the body.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    When you say 'water intoxication' I assume you are talking about hyponatremia? Hyponatremia has to do with the amount of water in your system versus the amount of electrolytes. If you are working out a lot and watching sodium intake, I would be worried about that much water.

Just as an addition... fat in our bodies doesn't require water, lean tissue does. This means that when we say 'drink half your weight in ounces' it doesn't mean if you are 200lbs overweight that you need an extra 100 ounces of water. It should be half of your ideal body weight (unless you actually know your lean weight, in which case you could aim for half of that).

Dotti,
    I had no idea that was based on lean muscle tissue, sure wish I had known that when I started out in 07. deep sigh

Glad you shared that hopefully at least someone will perk up and listen and not have the same issues I ended up with for not listening!:ohwell: :flowerforyou: