Who's running their first marathon this year???

Options
lporter229
lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
Hi runners. Planning on running my first marathon on May 5th. Training has been tough, but rewarding. Just looking for stories from others who are training for their first as well. How is your training going? What kind of milage are you doing? What are your time expectations? That sort of thing.

I am tarining with a partner and it is both of our first full. We just did 18 miles this weekend and are hoping for a long of 20-22 prior to the race. My half marathon PR is 2:05, but I think I could probably top that by a good 5 minutes now. Hoping to do the full in under 5 hours.

Replies

• lporter229
    Options
    Anyone?
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I was planning on it but my spring marathon plans fell through. I may aim for a fall one, but it really depends on certain circumstances. I have one other goal that is more important and would interfere so I am playing by ear.

You may want to check out this group though
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/111-long-distance-runners
  • lporter229
    Options
    Thanks! Will definitely check out that group.

Good luck on your fall marathon. Hope it works out for you.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    ME!!!! OH WAIT that's MARATHON. i'm running my first HALF marathon this year. June 1st!
  • DefyGravity1977
    DefyGravity1977 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I am set to run a half in September and want to do another half in October. Anxious to see how well I do
  • ghdsmais
    ghdsmais Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Half on June 2nd, and the Chicago Marathon Oct. 13th. Looking forward to both. Ramping up now for the half.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    My half marathon PR is 2:05, but I think I could probably top that by a good 5 minutes now. Hoping to do the full in under 5 hours.
    If your marathon training is good with adequate mileage you ought to be able to run 4:20 to 4:30. Five hours should be no problem at all if you taper right and arrive at the start uninjured.
  • ameliaannakin
    ameliaannakin Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Me. Scary stuff. I am running the Yorkshire Marathon in October. Started training but not too hard yet as got loads of time yet. I'm running a half in May though which I am hoping to do in sub 2 hours and then the full in less than 4.

Good luck with yours!

Ax
  • cyndimcd
    cyndimcd Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Me. I'm signed up for the Marine Corps marathon in October. Last year I did halfs in August and October. I'm wondering what I have gotten myself in for.
  • bafresh
    bafresh Posts: 16
    Options
    Registered for the Honolulu Marathon - not planning (or training) to run ALL of it, but I will do my best. If anything, it will be great exercise.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    My first ever marathon is on the same day as yours..May 5th. My PB for half marathon is a lot slower than yours, I'm at 2 hrs 10 mins, but I have been injured and unable to put in the long runs and a few of the maintenance runs for 2 weeks now..my aim is for a 5.5 hour finish and arrive at the start line injury free.
  • shaunalynn11
    shaunalynn11 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Me! Kind of.

I am doing the Goofy Challenge (half on Sat and full on Sunday). It is January 11/12 so technically next year but will start training in a few months. Currently training for another half on May 26th.
  • Erica_theRedhead
    Erica_theRedhead Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Me. I'm signed up for the Marine Corps marathon in October. Last year I did halfs in August and October. I'm wondering what I have gotten myself in for.

I just signed up for the Marine Corps one as well. I did my first and only half marathon last May, and unfortunately haven't run all winter. I started my training today and have a 22 week calendar set up. I'd love to hear how others have overcome this challenge
  • monkeyriley
    monkeyriley Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Congrats!

I'm doing my second marathon in Toledo the weekend before. Honestly, training during the winter, here in Wisconsin, has been a little rough. I'm starting to think fall marathons are the way to go.

It sounds like you've done your homework, so now, the only thing you need to do is run! For me, the first 23 miles are a blast; it is the last 5k where the challenge is.
  • MelisRunning
    MelisRunning Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Looks like my husband and I will be running the Mount Desert Island Marathon in Bar Harbor, Maine on Oct. 20. His third, my first.
  • errorika
    errorika Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I'm training for my first marathon in September! I was definitely not a runner to start, but quickly figured out that treadmills are the reason I hated running. I love running outside.

I've never run more than a 5K before, so I'm doing a 30 week training program (week 6 right now) to get me to the mileage. My first 10k is on May 11! I'm just hoping to finish my marathon without walking... and before the cutoff time!
  • RenewedRunner
    RenewedRunner Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Running my first full, MCM, as well this year!!! Feel free to add me as a friend. I loooove to talk running!!
  • PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot
    PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Me - ING Hartford on 10/12
  • 29forever
    29forever Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    This is something on my bucket list. I started running under a year ago and have done 2 half marathons. How long would you recommend a runner be running before deciding to do a full marathon? My biggest fear is injury and I want to do it right.

Congrats OP! Awesome work on your training. I think you will do great! I would love to hear how you do.
  • cms721
    cms721 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Training for a 20k right now. I plan on running a full in october. Will have 2 20k's and 2 halfs under my belt by the time I attempt a full. I found some nice beginner programs online. I plan on maxing out @ 20 miles during my training and then start to taper off to give my body a break. . I want that last 6.2miles to be "uncharted territory". I only plan on running one full marathon because all the free foor and beer will be gone by the time I finish. All the half marathoners eat and drink it all first (I know, Im one of them).