Options

Replies

• metaphoria
    metaphoria Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    Pointers? Yeah...

In the words of a wise MFP scholar:

Just break up.

"Just break up" is no longer the appropriate blanket answer. Please edit your response to "I am willing to poop in a box." Thank you.
  • SmartWhatever
    SmartWhatever Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Just because its really your wife's cat doesnt mean you can't make your own decisions...
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Well, your body produces glucose, so I am going to put this one is the bad science bin.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Pointers? Yeah...

In the words of a wise MFP scholar:

Just break up.

"Just break up" is no longer the appropriate blanket answer. Please edit your response to "I am willing to poop in a box." Thank you.

(Huh? When did this happen??? I didn't get an email on it. Dagnabbit! No one tells me anything around here...)
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    oknczn.png
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    Any chance you mean gluten?

Thanks. :blushing:
  • hollyk57
    hollyk57 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Good luck with that. Meanwhile in America...

tumblr_lzmaxtfWSW1qliiryo1_500.gif
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    A slow, painful death from malnutrition?

Not so slow. The brain needs glucose. It won't take long.
  • trojanbb
    trojanbb Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    make sure to inject 50 IU insulin right before going glucose free. Should work wonders.
  • jus_in_bello
    jus_in_bello Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Since you seem to mean gluten free...

If it's because you have a gluten intolerance you should expect to see a marked improvement in day-to-day life, mood, everything. Food is different and about 200% more expensive (no seriously, that's an actual estimate), and you'll adjust to GF food and it won't be a big deal and it gets way easier as time goes on.

If it's just to lose weight, don't do it. Going GF to lose weight is stupid and ineffective. Also, it puts celiac's like myself at risk when we go out because the GF "dieters" let stuff slide (croutons on salads, seasonings that aren't GF, etc) and then waiters think it stuff is safe when it isn't and they aren't as careful as they should be and I throw up for days.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    I just want to come back and say that OP --- if you actually confused gluten and glucose, you might want to reconsider unless you or your wife actually has a sensitivity or allergy to it.
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies.
    Yes, Gluten. (stupid pre-coffee postings)
    Anyway, my Son has been diagnosed with ADHD. He is on meds for it curently. We had houseguests with a child with the same issues but, instead of meds, they have him on a pretty strict diet which, basically, is a gluten free diet.
    If a simple diet change can help my son without meds, I am all over it.

He is the sole reason for this change.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,047 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies.
    Anyway, my Son has been diagnosed with ADHD. He is on meds for it curently. We had houseguests with a child with the same issues but, instead of meds, they have him on a pretty strict diet which, basically, is a gluten free diet.

Absolutely. You don't need gluten in a healthy diet, and it may help your son tremendously. The added benefit is weight loss and decreased digestive issues in some people.

You'll adapt, and after a few weeks you won't even notice it being gone.

How old is your son? Are you going to be able to control his food when he is at school/friends' houses?
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies.

I'm all for gluten-free ... though it's difficult in some cases. Cutting out refined/processed carbs/sugars wherever is proving healthy for many people.

As for glucose - there is no way to be glucose free as the body will synthesize it via the process of gluconeogenesis. That being said, there IS absolutely no dietary requirement for carbohydrate in humans. None. We'll synthesize all we need. And the brain is well-fueled by ketones in addition to glucose - in fact considerable research shows better cognitive and motor ability when the brain is primarily keto-adapted.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies.

Sir, I mean this in all respect, but you are very likely falling for a load of crap. The same load of crap that contributed to my life being a living hell growing up. Gluten is the last in a long list of trendy allergens that are blamed for everything but nose warts on penguins. And ADHD one of a long list of trendy diseases that is highly over-diagnosed. At least get a second and third opinion from MDs before proceeding on this course and damning your child to a childhood without normal childhood treats. Chiropractors and other witch doctors have been making these types of claims for years, as have authors trying to sell books. Talk to authentic experts first.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    It has been reported to help for some kids with ADHD - depending on where you live there are a lot/few substitute products of varying taste quality.

You can expect a lot of testing and eating of sh!tty tasting substitutes until you find the right ones. Gluten free bagels taste like cat droppings.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies.

Hah, sorry, I thought yours was a troll post or an April Fool's joke.

There are ways around gluten. Expect a bit of a "carb withdrawal"--those foods are kind of addictive. Not a bad thing, but it can be hard to give up. Look into stuff like buckwheat, quinoa, and other more "exotic" grains--they have them at Whole Foods in abundance. In fact, if you live near a Whole Foods, just go over there and ask someone to point you to gf alternatives; the store is full of them.

Then you might find that your son's problems had nothing to do with gluten. I would prepare for that, honestly, because I think gluten gets blamed for a lot of problems these days that it probably isn't responsible for.
  • mousepaws22
    mousepaws22 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies.

I had ADHD as a kid and it was controlled by diet- luckily I've pretty much grown out of it, it was a milder form. However, it wasn't a gluten free diet, just a diet free of E-Numbers, artificial colourings and preservatives. So I pretty much just ate what is regarded as clean nowadays. Fruit, salad, veg, meat. I did have bread and rice as well but couldn't have any kind of sweets or treats, couldn't have pop or even squash. I can't really understand how gluten would exacerbate ADHD but I'm not that up on the research.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies.

IMO this kind of thing may be worth a try, however I think with most people diagnosed with ADHD, it doesn't make a difference. Gluten is not the cause of ADHD (though whether it may make it worse in some people, or cause ADHD-like symptoms in some people who are intolerant to gluten is a different matter). ADHD is a matter of genetics/brain wiring.

I have ADHD (inattentive subtype) and while some lifestyle factors can make a difference, it doesn't get rid of it. And to be honest, it's a matter of different brain wiring and my brain wiring is part of who I am, and as much as certain things help me to stay organised and focused, I don't want my brain to be rewired. I'm a very creative person, and there's a lot of evidence that ADHD and creativity go together. I prefer to view the whole thing as a brain wiring difference rather than as an illness that needs to be got rid of. I don't take ADHD medications, but I can't say if that's the best route for any individual or not, because everyone's different and some people have much worse ADHD than others, and creativity without any ability to focus will just be wasted anyway (being on the medication isn't supposed to change your brain wiring, just make it easier to focus and get stuff done). You have to do what's best for each individual.

Also, a lot of the problems in schools are caused by a mismatch between how the ADHD child learns and functions, and the classroom environment. This is a complex topic if you want more info send me a private message. I have experience teaching ADHD kids, as well as experience of being an ADHD kid, teenager and adult who had to learn how to learn in a way that suits my brain wiring, I got a 2:1 in the end at university (if you're not familiar with British universities, that's the 2nd top university grade, like a B).

btw sorry about my silly post earlier... your title (glucose free) plus the fact it was April 1st I thought you were posting it as an April fool joke
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Just to echo the above.
    ADHD/ADD is a matter of wiring, not nutrition.

There seems to be some anecdotal evidence that it can be affected by nutrition, but none of that has any scientific backing (according to my shrink/MD).
    As a parent, I understand the desire to try everything you can try to make things better. Give it a shot. Not going to hurt anyone past inconvenience. In the end though, find a good doctor, pref a psychiatrist, and do what they tell you to do.