"u can't build muscle in a deficit" =/= don't strength train

Options
_noob_
_noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
Just in case any newbies happen upon this statement in another thread. Strength doesn't necessarily go hand in hand with size and you WILL gain strength from strength training almost reguardless of whether you are in a deficit or not (at least up to the point where you're in at least "advanced" on strength charts assuming you have a good program).

So don't let the thought of "I'm not building muscle anyway" sway you from getting the immeasurable benefits of strength training.

carry on, and apologies to regulars.

Replies

• Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Would like to add that strength training also plays a part in muscle retention.....which is very important when losing weight.
  • _noob_
    Options
    Would like to add that strength training also plays a part in muscle retention.....which is very important to looking good naked when losing weight.

fify
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    And it's much easier to retain muscle during your weight loss than it is to rebuild it later when you realize what you've lost.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Would like to add that strength training also plays a part in muscle retention.....which is very important when losing weight.

^ As an example:

If you were to take two scenarios where in one case you diet while lifting and in another case you just diet and cardio:

1) Diet + lifting you may lose 20lbs and all of it is fat.
    2) Diet + cardio you may lose 20lbs and 15 is fat and 5 is muscle.

If you compare the end results, you are still "more muscular" by lifting weights even in a deficit. You MAY not gain actual LBM, but you will have more muscle than you would have had you not lifted to begin with, and this is really all that matters, IMO.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    You're just a noob.

You don't know what you're talking about..
  • thekyleo
    thekyleo Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    good idea to add raspberry keytones to my lifting diet??? i hear dr. oz does it and he's F*cking huge
  • MAYONNAISESANDWICH
    Options
    good idea to add raspberry keytones to my lifting diet??? i hear dr. oz does it and he's F*cking huge

tumblr_m3u1au28G51rqfhi2o1_250.gif
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    strength training also helps to preserve bone density as you age, which is my primary reason for starting it. If I get strong and lean in the process = WIN!
  • thekyleo
    thekyleo Posts: 632 Member
    Options

best...GIF....EVER
  • krhn
    krhn Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    You're just a noob.

Troll much? :explode:
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options

^ As an example:

If you were to take two scenarios where in one case you diet while lifting and in another case you just diet and cardio:

If you compare the end results, you are still "more muscular" by lifting weights even in a deficit. You MAY not gain actual LBM, but you will have more muscle than you would have had you not lifted to begin with, and this is really all that matters, IMO.

Ok so here's a my example, of me.

Prior to weight loss, I used to lift heavy..315 lbs bench. After 7 months of dieting and just cardio, I could barely get 170 lbs up. After almost a year of lifting since weight loss I can pretty comfortable do 225 x 10. Haven't attempted a 1 RM yet, not sure.

LIFT!
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    You're just a noob.

Troll much? :explode:

Word.
    You probably didn't look at his username, and put 2 + 2 together and realize that I am just giving him a hard time...
  • mikencherie
    Options
    I have a Starting Strength Question. I'm on week two and the only change I made to the program is bent-over rows instead of cleans. I need to get stronger and cleans really seem like a hard lift to do correctly. I don't want to get injured either. I'm doing this on a cal deficit and I have a question about Military Press. Planet Fitness does not have barbell free weights that allow for standing military press. I could do them with dumb bells but I'm not very good at using DBs with the correct form. So, should I just do military press seated or should I squat down in the rack and do "squatted" military press?
  • _noob_
    Options
    Look up an "arnold press". For hypertrophy it's probably as good as an overhead press anyway and is probably the best you're going to be able to do with just dumbells.

But, if you have trouble doing regular shoulder presses with dumbells, the arnold press is MUCH more difficult so that may not be good either (it's still a good exercise for the shoulders).
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options

Lmao, I always get a good chuckle when I see this gif
  • mikencherie
    Options
    Look up an "arnold press". For hypertrophy it's probably as good as an overhead press anyway and is probably the best you're going to be able to do with just dumbells.

But, if you have trouble doing regular shoulder presses with dumbells, the arnold press is MUCH more difficult so that may not be good either (it's still a good exercise for the shoulders).

Thanks, I'll look that up. I finished week 2 this morning and I'm doing overhead press seated right now but I know I need to work on being able to use dumbbells too. I think I may use the next two off days to do some light dumbbell work to try to get form down. I want to do military press standing like it is supposed to be done and the only way to do it at PF is with DBs.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

^ As an example:

QFT and bumping!