first half marathon in 6 weeks

Options
hey so doing my 1st marathon in may! can i do it in under 3hrs? i hope so. my 1st 5k last july took 47mins, my first 10k took 1hr 34mins in november. so im running at least 3 times a week which i believe i need to update to 5, on average a day i do 25000 steps which i am also upping to 30000 t0 40000. any advice or anything? like best things to eat etc. and anyone to help motivate me send me friend request thnks

Replies

• bannedword
    bannedword Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Probably not under 3 hours if your best 10k is 1:30+. You can use the Macmillan calculators to estimate your finish time.
  • jbolnick
    jbolnick Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I found that carb gel packs help me in my runs. I used to get hungry after 6 or 8 miles. The gel helps curve my appetite and give me energy. If you are going to try something new, do it now, not on race day. And keep positive thoughts! You will do great, good luck!
  • mrsburghart
    mrsburghart Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    My first half is in 3 weeks so I feel ya! I'm nervous and excited at the same time. If your half has pacers you might consider them. My 5K time was 31 minutes, but I'm going to go with a 3:00:00 pace group just so I can say I finished....I'll go for time next year :)
  • RichardWhitman
    RichardWhitman Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Just concentrate on finishing. Don't worry about your time, cause if you run slower than you expect, you'll get bummed out when the 3 hour mark comes alongside the 20 mile mark.
  • Still_Fluffy
    Still_Fluffy Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Are you doing your first half or your first marathon? As for speed, its hard to say based on only two races. To run a 3 hour half marathon you need to run 13.43 miles so I would aim to run a 13 mile per hour pace with a 60 sec walk break every two miles. This should get you the time you need, just don't walk too much or too long.
    I always follow a running program for half and full marathons. Check out the free programs on Hal Higdon's web page.
  • ValerieMomof2
    ValerieMomof2 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Mine is this weekend ACK! I have no idea what to expect time wise. I definitely recommend the gels. I tried a 13 mile training run and totally failed bc I hit the wall huge at 9 miles. Avoid junk food, drink plenty of water and make sure to eat enough calories. I started my training trying to lose weight at the same time and it was absolute failure. So I stick around 1600-1900 calories and that seems to be just fine.
  • kcgslp
    kcgslp Posts: 212
    Options
  • tweetiejovi
    tweetiejovi Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    thanks for your advice all im doing my first half marathon and currently about 15min miles so probably wont make my 3hr was gonna do a dummy one on my own on thursday see how i got on. Good luck to all that have there first one coming up this weekend or next few weeks. Must admit i had fallen out with water has been drinking that much of it but gonna try again.