Marathon or half marathon training?

Options
Would love to have friends that are doing the same...please add me..I'd like to see others running/eating plans!!:heart:

Also...what is the date of your marathon/half-marathon?

Replies

• cyndimcd
    cyndimcd Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I am signed up for marine corps marathon in October.
    Last year I did two half marathons using Gallaway run/walk. I am part of a run/walk group that does 4-5 miles on Saturday mornings, but the rest of my training is on my own, so I'm a bit worried about this.
    What about you? What are you training for and using what plan?
  • Smurftastic
    Smurftastic Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I'm doing a half marathon in mid June. Feel free to add me :)
  • angbieb
    angbieb Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I'm training for the Biggest Loser half-marathon September 22, this will be my first! The most I've ran in a race is 10 miles so I'm very excited about this. I don't follow a training program as of yet.
    What did you eat the night before and morning of your half? :heart:
  • cyndimcd
    cyndimcd Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I'm training for the Biggest Loser half-marathon September 22, this will be my first! The most I've ran in a race is 10 miles so I'm very excited about this. I don't follow a training program as of yet.
    What did you eat the night before and morning of your half? :heart:

Same as I ate the night before and morning of the long runs. :smile: The advice on the forums and the podcasts at marathontrainingacademy.com was helpful, to not do anything new on race day...wear the same clothes and shoes, eat the same breakfast, drink on long runs what they will be serving in the race.

I am a bit compulsive and always eat the same protein bar for breakfast before I run, then for long runs I start breaking off bits of clif bar every other mile beginning at mile 7. I think I'm afraid to mess up what seems to be working!

That's great that you have already run a 10 mile race.
  • N4monsters
    N4monsters Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I'm doing a half marathon in September and trying to convince the hubby to let me do a "sprint distance" triathalon in June!!
  • Fast_Track
    Fast_Track Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'm running the 1st Half of the SF Marathon in June! Looking forward to it... it will be my first in two years!
  • Cake323
    Cake323 Posts: 18
    Options
    N4Monsters - I completed my first sprint distance tri in March, and have another this sunday. If you ever get the chance I strongly recommend participating, it's such a rush to be able to say you've completed a triathlon! I've never been "sporty", but my sister has gotten incredibly fit and strong over the last couple of years doing surf lifesaving and I really wanted to be able to say I raced with her. It was the most pain I've ever been in while exercising, but it was also my proudest moment crossing the finish line, and I signed up for my next race the very next day.
    Long story short - Go for it! You won't regret it
  • angbieb
    Options
    I am a bit compulsive and always eat the same protein bar for breakfast before I run, then for long runs I start breaking off bits of clif bar every other mile beginning at mile 7. I think I'm afraid to mess up what seems to be working!

I like that idea! When I ran 10 miles I really had a tough time the last 3-4 and I think this might have given me that little extra boost I needed!
    I'm doing a half marathon in September and trying to convince the hubby to let me do a "sprint distance" triathalon in June!!

What is the difference between a "sprint distance" triathlon and a regular one? Sounds painful!
    It was the most pain I've ever been in while exercising, but it was also my proudest moment crossing the finish line, and I signed up for my next race the very next day.
    That's awesome! You are one tough cookie!!
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    I think this might be my year to do a marathon, always wanted to, never got around too it.

Lets go for it
  • EdTheGinge
    EdTheGinge Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    We talk about anything to do with running, come and join. It's actually a group with active members

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/13157-from-plodders-to-sprinters

I'm doing my 2nd Half in the space of 2weeks on Sunday
  • angbieb
    Options
    I think this might be my year to do a marathon, always wanted to, never got around too it.

Lets go for it

Okay! You got it...but I have to start with a half and see if I can do that first...lol! That is one of my goals is to run at least one marathon in my life! I love your attitude!:smile:
    We talk about anything to do with running, come and join. It's actually a group with active members

Thanks for the invite...I will! 2nd half in 2 weeks!? Wow! That is impressive!! How many have you run in total?
    I also wanted to tell you I love your profile pic!
  • vivaldirules
    vivaldirules Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I did my first official half last year and was training for a full when I injured myself six months ago. So let me give two pieces of advice and suggest you please read more.

As to eating, it's important. I went for months doing long runs and coming home, showering, eating, and then laying around the rest of the day napping. I had let my blood sugar drop because I had not done some mild "carbing up" beforehand. That's easily fixed so please read about it. For me, it was just changing slightly what I ate the night before (no pizza, but something with rice in it, for example) and then eating something as simple as 2 or 3 pieces of whole wheat toast for breakfast an hour before I ran. For very long runs (3 hours or more), I think I may need to take one or two of those little energy packet thingies (like GU) with me but I haven't tried them yet as I'm building up my long runs slowly right now.

As to injuries, please try to avoid them. I was doing fine training regularly but then work got in the way and I started doing the weekend warrior thing by not training during the week and then doing two long runs on the weekends. After a few weeks of that, I messed up my knee and was out from running completely for four months. I had previously had a tendon injury, too, which put me out of commission for three months by doing something similar. That's devastating because running is main form of exercise and it made it really hard for me to exercise and lose weight. I don't know what the answer is to avoid injuries, but I assume it is (1) run often but not too often or too hard (so build up your distances slowly), and (2) keep up with cross-training (lunges, squats, core exercises, etc.) on your non-running days. I am much more relaxed now about running and if I don't feel ready for a particular race, I happily blow it off and wait for another.

Good luck!
  • EdTheGinge
    EdTheGinge Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options

Thanks for the invite...I will! 2nd half in 2 weeks!? Wow! That is impressive!! How many have you run in total?
    [/quote]

This will be my 2nd lol
  • czmmom
    czmmom Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I will send you a friend request... I am training for my 2nd half in May. Anyone can feel free to friend me!
  • thebigcb
    Options

Lets go for it

Okay! You got it...but I have to start with a half and see if I can do that first...lol! That is one of my goals is to run at least one marathon in my life! I love your attitude!:smile:

I can run about 12k now, and at one stage last year run 24k in 1hour 52. If I can stay injury free an dtrain well I can do it

And if I can, you all sure as hell can
  • thebigcb
    Options
    Im on runkeeper if anyone wants to add? PM me for details(pretty novice at distance running, all helps levels accepted)
  • prjoy98
    prjoy98 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Currently training for the Athleta Iron Girl Half Marathon....its exactly 26 days away...EEEKKK!!!! :noway:
  • thebigcb
    Options
    Currently training for the Athleta Iron Girl Half Marathon....its exactly 26 days away...EEEKKK!!!! :noway:

How are you fixed?
  • prjoy98
    prjoy98 Posts: 250 Member
    Options

How are you fixed?

What do you mean??
  • 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    Options

The sprints are fun. I've got a handful under my belt and have another one scheduled for June 2. I am aiming for my first half marathon sometime this fall but haven't picked one yet.