flax seeds...whole or milled?

Options
emcdonie
emcdonie Posts: 190 Member
Which do you add (if at all) to your diet? Whole or milled flax? I have seen arguments going both ways.

Milled digests/absorbs better, but whole is less processed and less likely to be rancid, etc.

I know it is a minor point in the grand scheme of diet. :-)

Replies

• fruitloop2
    fruitloop2 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Whole just seems to go right through you without being digested. I always eat/bake with milled...usually an organic.
  • singer201
    singer201 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Flax seed MUST be ground to get any benefit from it. The seed coat is not broken down by digestion. The best solution is to buy whole flax seed and grind it as you need it--stays fresher that way, but if you can use up a bag of stabilized ground flax in a reasonable time, it's fine. We feed flax to our horses and always grind a fresh portion daily.
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Flax seed MUST be ground to get any benefit from it. The seed coat is not broken down by digestion. The best solution is to buy whole flax seed and grind it as you need it--stays fresher that way, but if you can use up a bag of stabilized ground flax in a reasonable time, it's fine. We feed flax to our horses and always grind a fresh portion daily.

Yes indeed. If you aren't grinding your flax seed you are just flushing them down the toilet.
  • emcdonie
    emcdonie Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the opinions....I have been eating whole for the most part, except when I did homemade granola, I used milled flax for it. I guess I will start grinding the ones I have then.
  • amyg007
    amyg007 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I like to use the ground flax. Keep it in the freezer, it will keep longer and you lose the risk of it going rancid. :)
  • Jessika39
    Jessika39 Posts: 35
    Options
    Thanks to all this post really help me. I also ate flax seed whole instead of grinding it. Thanks again.:drinker:
  • kiddoc88
    kiddoc88 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    depends on what you want to use it for-in homemade baked energy bars-whole. In smoothies- millled
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    I use both. Whole flaxseeds are for just eating, I try to chew them very well. I use flax meal as a condiment for salads or on my cereal.