Dieting and pregnancy..

Options
So.. I've been doing this diet thing now for about 2 months.. for the last few weeks I've stayed the same and I had no idea why. Well.. I do now, I'm pregnant.

So.. can I still diet whilst pregnant? Or is it bad for me? I'm only 4 weeks pregnant, so I know I dont have to add extra calories to my diet just yet for the baby.

Some help and advice would be great. I lost my first pregnancy at 11.5 weeks in November last year, so I'm kinda freaking out and wanna make sure I do everything I can to ensure it doesnt happen again!

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    This is something you need to discuss with your doctor. You need to make sure you're getting the proper nutrients for yourself as well as your baby...you're eating for two now...1,200 calories (if that's what you're doing) isn't going to cut it. Your doctor will most likely have goals for you when you go in for your checkups as to how much weight you should be gaining each visit...at least that's what they did with my wife.

Also, you're crazy if you think you're going to actually be able to stick to a diet when you're pregnant. Make sure your baby is getting what it needs, as well as yourself. It's not a license to eat whatever you want, but you do need to eat.
  • thecakelocker
    thecakelocker Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Ha, no. Your Dr would only allow you to lose weight if you are obese, and possibly not even then. I'm allowed to lose weight, but I'm eating 2000+ cals a day. With the little you have left to lose, you certainly should not diet and assuredly will gain weight while pregnant.
  • StephanieCo3
    StephanieCo3 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Sorry for your loss.

I would just keep eating healthy and exercising, but not make a goal to lose weight or diet.
  • shivles
    shivles Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Eat to maintain now, eat healthy and to your appetite and keep up the exercise but listen to your body. If its telling you to eat more, eat more (not just cakes though lol) and if it's telling you to do less then get some rest.
  • neacail
    neacail Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    When I was pregnant with my second son, I decided that I would eat when I was hungry and sleep when I was tired.

Big mistake. I had lost 60lbs when I was thirty, and I had maintained it for five years when I became pregnant with my second son. I gained it all back. All of it! I'm still trying to lose the last of it. Infuriating.

So, I would suggest that you continue to log all of your foods and watch what you're eating. But, I would suggest targeting maintenance levels versus weight-loss levels.
  • hmhsu
    hmhsu Posts: 8
    Options
    I would just monitor what you eat, log it but eat to maintain. I've been at 2000 calories a day since about 12 weeks. Just exercise and log and you will be fine. Anything you gain can be lost again! Good luck!
  • ctpeace
    ctpeace Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Doctors tend to be more savvy these days on how much you should gain and when. Make sure you are getting your calories from nutrient-rich food. If you are of the mindset that you are eating healthier and controlling your intake, and that was your diet plan; just do that for you plus baby. You likely won't be able to do any calorie deficit (unless you are dealing with obesity), but you can certainly prevent excess weight gain! My understanding is that (and this is simplified, so talk to your doctor) quality of nutrition is very important for you right now, including your prenatal multi, but you don't really need to increase quantity beyond your maintenance level until the 2nd trimester. Your baby is still pretty teeny and doesn't actually need tons of calories.

I'm still trying to take of the excess weight from my pregnancy (my son's 1), so it's great that you're starting your pregnancy asking about dietary needs.
  • ctpeace
    ctpeace Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    This is something you need to discuss with your doctor. You need to make sure you're getting the proper nutrients for yourself as well as your baby...you're eating for two now...1,200 calories (if that's what you're doing) isn't going to cut it. Your doctor will most likely have goals for you when you go in for your checkups as to how much weight you should be gaining each visit...at least that's what they did with my wife.

Also, you're crazy if you think you're going to actually be able to stick to a diet when you're pregnant. Make sure your baby is getting what it needs, as well as yourself. It's not a license to eat whatever you want, but you do need to eat.

Wolfman, calling a pregnant woman crazy is just asking for trouble, really?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I'd definitely ask your doctor how many calories you should eat... and then you can log for that amount, this way you'll eat enough for your baby to be healthy but won't put on too much weight.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else. Talk to your doctor and find out how much you should be eating to keep up a healthy weight. In general, the first trimester or so requires about 200 extra calories per day, increasing to about 500 per day (over your normal TDEE), but that can vary widely based on your pre-pregnancy weight and other health issues. If your weight is lower you might need more than that, if you're bigger to start you might need less. Before you start restricting calories to any particular level, check with your OB.

However, once you have a good idea of the number of calories you need to eat per day, MFP can be an excellent place to make sure you're staying on track. With my first pregnancy, I gained 60lbs because I ate whatever, whenever. With my second, I gained 20 because I set out make better choices (while still making sure I got all the nutrition I needed). The weight from my second came off within a few weeks, and I'm still working on the weight from my first (he's almost 4).

Also, staying active is a great idea. Don't overdo it, and don't start anything you weren't doing before you got pregnant. But, with your doctor's approval, some light exercise will help you maintain your weight and keep you in shape for labor and after the baby is born (you'll need it!). Again - check with your doctor before you do anything.

Good luck!!
  • alicialawes
    Options
    Thanks for the advise guys. Well I started at 15 stone 6 pounds, I've managed to get down to 14 stone 7 pounds. But I haven't lost anything in the last few weeks.

Me and my partner are booking our wedding in the next week or so.. For 26th April 2014. Baby is due 6th Dec 2013. So I won't have long to lose the weight. So I really wanna make sure I don't gain more then I can lose within that 4/5 month timescale.

I've accepted that I will never be a slim jim, I have a huge *kitten* and massive boobs and the fella likes it that way. But if I can try and maintain, stay healthy, have a healthy baby and be back to 14 stone 7 pounds for my wedding, then life will be grand :-)
  • halleymw
    halleymw Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I think that the rule of thumb for patienst with a bmi over 30 is a 15 pound weight gain with the pregnancy.
    Mike