Low Carb VS Low Calorie - Help?

Options
Hi everyone! :)
I've been doing low carb for one week now. I do feel better but I am not losing any weight.
The thing is, everyone keeps telling me to count my carbs AND my calories. So what is the difference?
If I also need to count calories, isn't easier to just count calories and forget about the carbs?
I do understand the idea behind low carb - I really do - but again, isn't easier to do just one thing?

My family runs a Low Carb business here in Norway so I do know a lot about it, but every time I hear about calories I keep thinking the same thing.. :(

Thanks for reading this,
Leonor :)

Replies

• HardDon
    HardDon Posts: 204
    Options
    What''s your height, weight, activity level and bodyfat percentage (if you know it)?
  • LeonorMG
    LeonorMG Posts: 93
    Options
    1.68cm
    +/- 70kg (!!!!)
    and I have no idea about my body percentage...
    I am not very active.. :S
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    You lose weight with a calorie deficit, not just because you cut carbs. I did a low carb diet once upon a time and was very not successful because I was still consuming too many calories in general.

Most people who do cut carbs will lose because carbs tend to be relatively calorie dense...eliminate those foods and voila...calorie deficit. If you're making up those calories with fats and proteins though it completely defeats the purpose.

Also, a week is nothing. Given that you can easily fluctuate 5 Lbs day to day, weight loss can be difficult to see in such a short period of time.
  • HardDon
    HardDon Posts: 204
    Options
    1.68cm
    +/- 70kg (!!!!)

1.60cm?? lol

You should be consuming 1,400 - 1,500 calories everyday and you will lose weight. Don't worry too much about carbs vs fats, it's mostly personal preference. Just eat healthy whole foods, drink lots of water and you will see great results.

If you want to increase your calorie goal, you should be more active. Doing cardio will allow you to get away with more calories and still lose weight.
  • LeonorMG
    Options
    1.68cm
    +/- 70kg (!!!!)

1.60cm?? lol

You should be consuming 1,400 - 1,500 calories everyday and you will lose weight. Don't worry too much about carbs vs fats, it's mostly personal preference. Just eat healthy whole foods, drink lots of water and you will see great results.

If you want to increase your calorie goal, you should be more active. Doing cardio will allow you to get away with more calories and still lose weight.

Not 1.60 but 1.68m... Why are you laughing? I'm feeling really small now....
    :(
    It was a mistake... ;)
  • LeonorMG
    Options
    @cwolfman13 thank you!!
    It's always good to talk with people who actually have done low carb before! :)
    Do you count carbs now? Or just calories? :)
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    1.6cm is less than an inch tall. Do you mean meters?
  • jenhaigh1
    jenhaigh1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I think you must mean 1.68m? 1.68cm is about as tall as a mouse on four paws :-D
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    Forget about counting carbs. Make sure you're eating adequate calories but also that you've built in a deficit. Then you'll lose weight.
  • msleanlegs
    msleanlegs Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Try counting calories for a few weeks and see where that takes you. Then if you feel like carbs need to be cut as well, go for it. But in my experience, calories are what count most. I'm losing just fine on a high carb diet.
  • GabyBaby916
    GabyBaby916 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I sent you a private message. :)
  • jimosaurus42
    Options
    You're deep in low calorie country here :) But I have to concur with the above, you have to have a calorie deficit. It's the first law of thermodynamics.
  • LaurenLouG
    LaurenLouG Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I eat mostly carbs. Around 60% of my diet, and I've lost weight.

Count your calories, then you'll lose weight.
  • LeonorMG
    Options
    Hahaha I do mean 1.68m!!
    I'll blame it on my autocorrect (iPhone), hehe
  • harrybananas
    harrybananas Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Only one rule to weight loss. Less calories in versus calories out. Simple concept. Difficult to maintain.

I eat whatever I am in the mood for as long as I'm in a calorie deficit then the weight will come off. Slowly but surely.
  • LeonorMG
    Options
    I think you must mean 1.68m? 1.68cm is about as tall as a mouse on four paws :-D

Haha
    What can I say? April fools day?? Eh eh
  • mztamaraann
    mztamaraann Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Are you all serious? Give the lady a break. 1 meter and 68 cm or 5 feet and 5 inches.

I find that when I eat healthy within my calorie goals the carbs stay at a healthy level as well. Track your calories, and you will lose the weight. Good luck.
  • LeonorMG
    Options
    So whether I decide to cut carbs or not, I should think mostly about calories.
    But does it help that I'll cut the carbs? Or should I do do it just because they have a dense amount of calories?
    :)
  • LeonorMG
    Options
    Are you all serious? Give the lady a break. 1 meter and 68 cm or 5 feet and 5 inches.

I find that when I eat healthy within my calorie goals the carbs stay at a healthy level as well. Track your calories, and you will lose the weight. Good luck.

Thank you so much! :)
    1 meter and 68 cm - exactly! That's why! Haha
    I'll try to do that! :)
  • msleanlegs
    msleanlegs Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    So whether I decide to cut carbs or not, I should think mostly about calories.
    But does it help that I'll cut the carbs? Or should I do do it just because they have a dense amount of calories?
    :)

Depends if you like carbs or not. I'm a firm believer in liking your diet no matter whether you're aiming to lose weight or maintain. I like carbs, so a high carb diet works best for me. I tried so many times to limit my carb intake and kept failing (and gaining even more weight!). Now that I've switched to a diet full of foods I enjoy eating, losing weight has been pretty darn effortless so far.