Just joined - Doctor told me about this site

Options
Hi. I just joined. I went in to see my doctor today about my weight and he suggested this site. I'm looking for support and motivation. I take a lot of medication that adds weight so I'm fighting an uphill battle, but I'm determined. I just have to figure it out. Good carbs/Bad carbs..... what I can eat/what I can't eat. It's all so confusing. Hoping this site will help me out. And hoping to make a lot of new friends.

Replies

• MyProgressISYour1Proof
    Options
    do add me if you like. I'm always open to helping out some people! I always try and to support all my friends :)
  • SpecialKitty7
    SpecialKitty7 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    Hey Decorah (Upper Iowa Alum here)! I found the site the same way. I also totally understand the medication problem. the drs have been screwing with mine for years now trying to find a good combo that keeps me healthy enough to lose weight. feel free to add me :smile:
  • Craig_hyde
    Craig_hyde Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I read this post as "The Doctor told me...." (Fellow geeks will understand there)

Welcome :-) It's been a helpful site to me & a few others that I know personally, the only downside is thaf it can be a bit daunting at first.... But all new things are, just try to enjoy yourself and soon you will be shedding pounds, making friends and enjoying it too :-)
  • MidwestAngel
    MidwestAngel Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    Your doctor is awesome.
  • linnellal
    linnellal Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure I know how to add people yet. Enlighten me please. Or I'll try to figure it out. Thanks for the invitation for friendship.
  • lizsmith1976
    lizsmith1976 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I say all the time, "It's an uphill battle, but the view from the top will be worth it." Good luck!
  • SpecialKitty7
    SpecialKitty7 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure I know how to add people yet. Enlighten me please. Or I'll try to figure it out. Thanks for the invitation for friendship.

Click on someone's name under their picture, then click add friend.
  • minihaak
    minihaak Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP. It's a great tool to take back control of your eating. You are welcome to add me. I'm all about eating all things in moderation. You can work most foods you love (in smaller portions) into your calorie allowance.
    Take your time, make small changes that stick and the rest will follow.

Check out this thread:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912920-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013?hl=in+place+of+a+roadmap

cheers :)
  • The_Transforming_Journey
    Options
    Hi there & welcome to MFP! This really is a great site :smile: I can understand your uphill battle with meds & weight... I have hypothyroidism ~ which makes it somewhat more difficult to take off the pounds.

Nice to meet you!
  • Log_n_Jog
    Log_n_Jog Posts: 64 Member
    Options

There may be an easier way, but I just click on the person's name (in blue), go to their profile, and you can "add" them from there (in green). :)
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    The best thing about the app is that it will teach you that you can eat anything. There are no good or bad carbs. Just set your calories correctly and come in reasonably close to that number each day. I lost my weight eating at fast food drive thrus by using this app. Mfp will make it as easy as you want it to be
  • linnellal
    linnellal Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    You all are GREAT!!! I never thought I would have this much support right away. Thank you so much for helping me add people as friends and getting me going. There is so much to explore around the sight. Any opinions on where to start?
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest familiarizing yourself with the app and finding your favorite weekly foods in the database. The app is all good. The forums.... Well, the forums are different for different people. They can be fun and amusing, mean and confusing, helpful and knowledgeable, or misleading. Depends on your temperament and current level of nutrition and fitness.
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! I am sure you will find it very helpful. I stayed out of the forums for a little while after i joined. Once i decided to participate, I read as much as I could in the fitness and nutrition forums until i got to see who knows what they're talking about and who doesn't.
    Good luck!:flowerforyou:
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    The best thing about the app is that it will teach you that you can eat anything. There are no good or bad carbs. Just set your calories correctly and come in reasonably close to that number each day. I lost my weight eating at fast food drive thrus by using this app. Mfp will make it as easy as you want it to be

This times 1,0000 and welcome
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Don't over think it - especially to begin with. The most important thing is creating a reasonable calorie deficit - you can do that eating anything. You will start finding that healthier food is way more filling and satisfying than a bag of chips, for example, though. It is best to figure that out on your own though, and find what works and is sustainable for you. No food should be off limits. Don't worry about slip ups - they happen to all of us, and the long haul is what matters.
  • beekuzz
    beekuzz Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Happy that you found us. Feel free to add me if you wish. I am also 49, 50 in Sept. Most people are really great and supportive.

I was searching online last June trying to figure out if I should do surgery or weight watchers and MFP popped up - so here I am putting all that money into my food instead of someone else's marketing strategy.

Good luck and best wishes.
  • Manarelle
    Manarelle Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest familiarizing yourself with the app and finding your favorite weekly foods in the database.

Absolutely this. I took a week to just log everything I ate normally, and it was amazingly eye-opening. Gives you an idea of where is good to start looking for substitutes. When I saw the calorie count for a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, I almost died. Substituted chicken sausage instead for just as filling and about 1/3 the calories. Take it at your own pace, and congrats on taking the first step!
  • marathonmom72
    marathonmom72 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Agreed! Take a few days to log your favorite foods/normal eating habits, so you can get an idea of how many calories you have been consuming. Then, you can use some of the calculators on this site, or other sites, to determine how many calories you should be eating. I'm diabetic, so I understand the extra challenge of medical issues. Feel free to add me as well. Good luck!
  • Jolene8992
    Jolene8992 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Lol. Good going. Im the one who told my doctor about this site. He was amazed when he saw how much weight I had lost and my blood sugars were back to normal. Just dont give up after a few weeks or months. It gets really hard and not so fun sometimes after the honeymoon phase is over. People will give you crap. And expect you to fail. 1yr going strong. Never looked back once.