Popcorn?

Options
Francl27
Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
What do you all eat? I bought the bags of already popped ones at Trader Joes but there must be something cheaper... just plain pop corn?

Replies

• Danielle_Style
    Danielle_Style Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    PopSecret 100 calorie pop. Just salty and buttery enough, and you really get a ton in one of those bags!
  • ebr250
    ebr250 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    You can pop regular kernels in a large pot on the stove with a little olive oil. If you really love popcorn invest in an air popper. Air poppers are foolproof and super fast.
  • Pamko57
    Pamko57 Posts: 182
    Options
    Air poppers are great, and the popcorn is probably better for you, but I use the 100 calories packs with butter.
  • spaghetti93
    spaghetti93 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I've heard there are horrible chemicals in bagged microwave popcorn. If you eat a lot of popcorn definitely invest in an air popper. They're only 20-30 dollars and don't have to be cleaned like ones that use oil. They're really easy and cheaper in the long run because you can buy popcorn kernels in the bulk section for super cheap.
  • GabyBaby916
    GabyBaby916 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I agree with the air popper.
    My family uses ours almost daily and then you can put whatever you want on top. Its WAY cheaper than buying the microwaveable bags.
  • atrebor18
    atrebor18 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    make it in a brown paper bag!!! so easy and much healthier! buy the kernels and add a half cup to a paper bag, fold it down, then microwave it. You can then season it as you want, I'm traditional and like it with a little salt and butter that I add to the bag and shake up.
  • nm8962
    nm8962 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    At the Walmart Subway shops, you can buy an 8oz bag of popcorn. I really like it, 3 cup serving is 140 calories. You get about 8 servings per bag for $1.99
  • Jessicalauren3
    Options
    Make it yourself!!!
    1 tbsp of kernels equals 1 cup of popcorn, which is around 50 cals (I believe). You can try interesting new spices like curry, which will not only taste super-yummy-in-yo-tummy but also speed up that metabolism :)
    Also a great idea is to store it in pretty jars (maybe even with some colouring?)- giving you a healthy snack/ treat.
    Here some inspo! :wink:
    http://cityglamblog.blogspot.co.uk/2013/02/achtung-suchtfaktor-crazy-popcorn.html
  • cb83580
    cb83580 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Get an air popper and an oil sprayer! I've been eating a ton of popcorn without adding too many extra calories this way. You can also buy pure olive oil in a spray, but it's easier and cheaper to get a sprayer (Misto is the brand I have). You only end up using a small amount just to get the salt (or flavorings if you use them--Kernel Season's makes a ton!) to stick.
  • HotGraham4985
    HotGraham4985 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I buy Skinny Pop Popcorn. It comes in a giant bag where 4 cups is 155 cal. and it also comes in individual serving bags that are 100 cal. Zero trans fat, cholesterol free. No butter.. Just popcorn, sunflower oil, and salt. It is FANTASTIC.
    Good alternative for me.. because I'm spoiled and my family buys it for me, and we can't afford an air popper yet. But it is getting closer to garage sale season!
    I love the paper bag idea. Totally trying it. Thanks. :)
  • Arkhos
    Arkhos Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I buy Skinny Pop Popcorn. It comes in a giant bag where 4 cups is 155 cal. and it also comes in individual serving bags that are 100 cal. Zero trans fat, cholesterol free. No butter.. Just popcorn, sunflower oil, and salt. It is FANTASTIC.
    Good alternative for me.. because I'm spoiled and my family buys it for me, and we can't afford an air popper yet. But it is getting closer to garage sale season!
    I love the paper bag idea. Totally trying it. Thanks. :)

Agree and Agree on the paper bag idea! Just to make your popcorn addiction worse... Sprinkle cinnamon and 1 splenda packet into the bad of popcorn. Shake while adding and watch as the color changes. Get a nice mix of white and cinnamon and you will have a sweet and salty snack for no additional calories. Which can lead to eating the entire bag. :love: