Falling off the wagon...

Options
I need help! I fell off the wagon 5 days ago, and I'm struggling now. I can't seem to shift my thinking back to doing this. I've done this before, and it's very frustrating. I have lost weight in the past only to put it right back on. My boyfriend thinks that it may be that I start thinking that I have beat it, so I slack off, and I'm thinking he's on to something. How do I stop that way of thinking, and climb back on the wagon?

Replies

• mhannan13
    mhannan13 Posts: 53
    Options
    some things that have worked for me:
    -buy a fitness magazine and find a recipie or work out that you can be excited about
    -go shopping and get a new outfit (to make you feel good), new workout clothes (to inspire you to get out there), or new jeans (that are just a LITTLE too small-to push you)
    -find a workout class that you can go to for a class or two
    -plan out your next day's food so there's not question of how you will do
    -tell yourself "Today I am in control!" when you wake up-it is 100% in your control!!
  • tex43
    tex43 Posts: 229
    Options
    I've been there many times myself,and your BF is exactly right,I've lost 30 lbs so far and I went nuts this last weekend,gained 4 lbs. back and it reminded me of the same old story.We have to get right back on the horse,and get back into what it took to get us here.

That's it just say to your self, SELF I'm starting back on the right track as of this very minute,and then just do it!!!!!!!!
  • tesha30
    tesha30 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    changing your ways is a lifetime committment. You have to remember that your doing this to better yourself today and for the rest of your days. But just take it day by day.. if you fall off.. get up and climb back on! Dont beat yourself up about it at all... everyone falls off from time to time.
  • fearlessfatty
    fearlessfatty Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Like an alcoholic: set small goals to accomplish!! My new one is no eating after 8pm - instead i drink tea, lots and lots of green tea with honey. but my other one is no snack between breakfast and lunch = instead, lots and lots of coffee with vanilla soy milk. also, i am starting the 30 day shred again today (see, we all have to start again after a trip-up once in awhile!) and instead of saying "once the kids are in bed" or "once i finish the laundry" it's, "i am starting that dvd at 9pm, no matter what!" and treating it like going to work - start on time!!

good luck! there's never a perfect time to start so do it now and every second after that is you being committed again!
  • Ellem86
    Ellem86 Posts: 204
    Options
    I've been there quite a few times. I joined this site in January and lost 7 lbs which I put back on again and am once again trying to lose. This year my main resolution was to accept that I would occasionally fall of the wagon but to get right back on it ASAP! I've stopped thinking I am a failure and I have started logging everything I eat again. Being accountable for what you eat, even on "bad" days really helps to keep you on the straight and narrow, even if only to avoid having to enter in that you ate a burger and 3 hot dogs (like I did at the weekend!). Planning what to eat the night before also really helps as you can factor in treats that fit in with your calorie goal. You can do this, we all can, nothing is beyond us, with patience and support we will all achieve our goals! Log in everyday and keep the positive energy from this site with you all day!
  • Clew
    Clew Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    It kind of IS like alcoholism - except you can live without alcohol - but you can't live without food. :indifferent: But the control struggle is very real.

Number one motto: Don't look back, just look forward. There's nothing that says you have to return to or remain what you were before.

Next: Surround yourself with positive energy. Like logging into MFP every day and seeing what everyone's up to. Share in the joys and support in the hard times - you will give and you will receive.

I struggle too - it's hard. But not undoable. :flowerforyou: Good luck!
  • Lailabug
    Lailabug Posts: 7
    Options
    He IS right, and as a food addict, I know! Sometimes the way I get through a setback is to remember, "WHY" I am trying to lose weight, and realize I have a choice. What I mean is sometimes I wonder "did eating that way make me happy" (the answer is always NO)....and "it is my choice to make". I can either CHOOSE to continue the road I am on and be back where I started (which was unhappy), or I can CHOOSE to take the road to happiness and success....and a healthier, better ME! It is a mind game, YOU can do this, you just have to get through the slump, and remember how happy you are, and how you feel when you are doing what is best for you!!
  • pipedoctor
    Options
    Weekends are very hard for me as we dine out and have family over. I love leftovers. I have noticed that my binge days don't keep going on and on if I log-into MFP because I have to be accountable. I am now emotionally planning ahead of time for the weekend. I think about my food triggers and try and avoid them. I try to order and prepare healthier food choices, take one bite of a high calorie food, and then fill-up on the lower calorie selections. I also participate in activities that make me feel good about myself and I keep my distance from people that want to sabotage my healthier eating.
  • tex43
    tex43 Posts: 229
    Options
    Weekends are very hard for me as we dine out and have family over. I love leftovers. I have noticed that my binge days don't keep going on and on if I log-into MFP because I have to be accountable. I am now emotionally planning ahead of time for the weekend. I think about my food triggers and try and avoid them. I try to order and prepare healthier food choices, take one bite of a high calorie food, and then fill-up on the lower calorie selections. I also participate in activities that make me feel good about myself and I keep my distance from people that want to sabotage my healthier eating.

Very well put!

I specially agree with signing in on the weekends,it is litterally the difference in success or failure for me.
  • LisaNa10
    LisaNa10 Posts: 14
    Options
    Thank y'all so much! I guess I just needed to know I'm not alone, and that other people in my shoes have come through it.