Flat belly after babies???

Ok moms, this one's for you. Can you really get a flat belly again after having kids? I never had a tummy (I carry my weight in butt, hip, thigh area... sigh...) but after having 2 kids I cannot seem to get my flat belly back. It's still not where I carry my weight but now I have a little "roll" (for lack of a better word) that I just cannot seem to get rid of.

HELP! Are there exercises that will help with that? Is it all about getting to a goal weight and then the belly will be gone???? Just frustrated and seeing all these profile pics of nice flat tummies is really making me want it even more.

Any advice is greatly appreciated! :)
Thanks

Replies

• klhessling
    klhessling Posts: 48 Member
    Yes it's possible. I've had 2 c-sections. Took me 7 years, but I did it, lol!! Goal weight and clean eating is key.
  • Penelope2738
    Penelope2738 Posts: 66 Member
    Not self, but a lady I know is super thin after two kids. She runs and does pilates. Another friend of mine, same deal, pilates and cardio + yoga. Enjoy your kids!
  • dmb0114
    dmb0114 Posts: 49
    Glad to know it is possible! ;) I would not trade my girls for anything... nothing... but just was curious. My youngest is 6 so it is time to get my body back. I have about 20 lbs to go to get to goal weight so I guess we will see. Thanks ladies!
  • Emtabo01
    Emtabo01 Posts: 672
    I've been working at it - lifting, small deficit, some cardio - since last October. I don't see it happening for me :( Trying to be patient.....
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Just work at getting to your goal weight and it should be gone. :) You can do it :)
  • harmonyh10
    harmonyh10 Posts: 58 Member
    Pilaties
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Yes, I also always had strong, visible abs and carry weight in my booty and thighs (although not much). I got a flat tummy again, after having my two babies. I just need to work at it more now then I did before (although before I probably just didn't realize I was working at it because it was so fun and built into my life as a dancer).

After my second baby I had a very small diastasis (abdominal muscle separation). I did the exercises of pulling in my abdominal muscles slowly, holding them in, and pulsing them even deeper while holding them in. I did that many times, in many sets a day, as explained by Julie Tupler in her Tupler Technique in Maternal Fitness. I also did Pilates at that time because that was a strengthening type of exercise that I could do that was gentle, but effective and really allowed me to focus on pulling in my abdominal muscles. Doing that fully healed the separation that I had. Then I was able to move on to lifting weights again. I use the book "The New Rules Of Lifting For Life", which really helps educate me on form, options and progression, while dealing with injuries and unique circumstances.

Also, when my babies were little, I put them in a double stroller and would push them uphill on long walks.
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    I don't have a success story. I am post-baby as well, and I've always carried my weight in my stomach, I never had a flat belly even when I was a teen and weighed 115lbs. Getting a flat belly really isn't a goal of mine!

However, from what I've read/seen around here, it's less about weight and more about body fat percentage.

Loose your weight slowly, and keep up a good strength training program to preserve your lean body mass. You can't spot reduce your fat but you can develop your core muscles and that should help. Just keep working at it!
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Yes, I also always had strong, visible abs and carry weight in my booty and thighs (although not much). I got a flat tummy again, after having my two babies. I just need to work at it more now then I did before (although before I probably just didn't realize I was working at it because it was so fun and built into my life as a dancer).

After my second baby I had a very small diastasis (abdominal muscle separation). I did the exercises of pulling in my abdominal muscles slowly, holding them in, and pulsing them even deeper while holding them in. I did that many times, in many sets a day, as explained by Julie Tupler in her Tupler Technique in Maternal Fitness. I also did Pilates at that time because that was a strengthening type of exercise that I could do that was gentle, but effective and really allowed me to focus on pulling in my abdominal muscles. Doing that fully healed the separation that I had. Then I was able to move on to lifting weights again. I use the book "The New Rules Of Lifting For Life", which really helps educate me on form, options and progression, while dealing with injuries and unique circumstances.

Also, when my babies were little, I put them in a double stroller and would push them uphill on long walks.
    [/quote

I had a large diastasis after my youngest was born (4 fingers!). I also used the tupler technique and it brought it down to 1 finger. I havent been able to reduce it any more than that, but I am very happy with the results. If you have ab muscle separation from babies, I urge you to check it out!