Plus size exercice clothes...

Options
Hi!

This is my first post on MFP but have been using the app since January! I have lost 20lbs since starting my journey and need to start exercising. I would love to start running but can't seam to find adequate clothes... I'm from Canada so a little limited... Any recommendations? I think i need 2x tops and bottoms!

Thanks,

Melanie

Replies

• Mrs_Metz
    Mrs_Metz Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am in 2x-3x clothes and it is hard... a few places I have found are...

Walmart (for sweat pants)
    Family Dollar (they have a good selections of clothes for plus size)

As for shirts.... I am in the same boat... I usually just wear old generic t-shirts that I have gotten from different events, If I am working out outside and it is hot I'll go out in a tank top or spagetti strap (if the skinny girls can do it so can we!!) Most of my tank tops come from old navy, they go up to 2x. Hope this helps, I feel your pain!!
  • dixieracer27
    dixieracer27 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    If you have access to Walmart they have some that are cute and I know there are 2xl because I started out in those. I think the brand is call Just My Size. Also they're not too expensive which is good because hopefully they won't fit for too long. I wish the clothing makers would realize that people over a size large exercise too!
  • Josee76
    Josee76 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I'm Canadian and we have plenty of stores where you can buy plus size workout clothes! Old navy has really nice pieces, wal mart does as well... just look around. You could even look at lululemon :)
  • houlee
    houlee Posts: 60
    Options
    Old Navy has some surprisingly cheap and well made plus sized work out clothes.
  • elis_mama
    elis_mama Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    I'm Canadian too.. and I'm not sure how that makes you limited unless you live in the country.. there are a lot of shops for plus sized women.

Old Navy, Addition Elle Plus, Laura Plus, Penningtons, Walmart, Target.. so many more stores to list that you can shop from.
  • americangirlok
    americangirlok Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I bought some capri w/ draw string cotton yoga like pants at Sam's club. I'm not sure if you are built like me, but I don't have thigh clearance and I needed to buy work out pants pretty tight b/c once I started moving if they were baggy at all the fabric would rub and just burn, burn, burn. I know that might be an overshare- but if it can prevent you some pain then it's worth it.
  • itsjilly
    itsjilly Posts: 40
    Options
    Old Navy is the best price!!

Addtitional Elle, Penningtons, Walmart are all options as well
  • darls25
    darls25 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Im not in Canada but I get my exercise clothes in Old Navy, Macy's, and JcPenny. They have a nice selection and its not to pricey..
  • lvpthemvp
    lvpthemvp Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Macy's
    Lane Bryant
    JMS.com
  • esphixiet
    esphixiet Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Also in Canada.
    SportChek carries a line of plus size clothes that are well designed, called Diadora. They're often even on sale, and are not ridiculously priced like the Nike or Reebok brands. I also second Old Navy.
    If you're looking for a bra, I HIGHLY recommend Moving Comfort. There are several styles made specifically for broad shouldered, big breasted women, as well as smaller sizes. When I strap my girls in they DON'T BUDGE.
    Good Luck!!
  • christa96
    christa96 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Old Navy has some surprisingly cheap and well made plus sized work out clothes.

^^^ This! Old Navy carries up to 4X (I believe) online.
  • Keto_T
    Keto_T Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    i found sweat wicking shirts with tags still on them at the local Goodwill and Old Navy capris at another thrift shop-they were my size but too big. I know their stuff runs big (vanity sizing) so try it on. Old Navy has good stuff and they run frequent sales. I found Just My Size bermunda and capri bottoms for $5 on clearance at WalMart. I love a good bargain.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Believe it or not, I never have any trouble finding workout clothes at Goodwill and other thrift stores. '

But then, I don't give a crap about fashion, and I have no problem wearing men's shorts and t-shirts to the gym.
  • Elpaw4mbv
    Elpaw4mbv Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    WalMart Just My Size for pants and tops. If you are going to start running - make sure you have a good bra and we plus size girls have to really shop to find a good sports bra. (Especially if you are more than a B cup...)

Elomi makes an awesome (but expensive) workout bra for larger busts - its called the Energize. I am a 40G and when I wear this bra, the "girls" don't go anywhere. You can run, do high intensity aerobics, and bounce - but the girls stay put. You can buy it online or order from a foundations/lingerie store. The bra runs true to size.
  • xoTalim
    xoTalim Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Try Penningtons and Additionelle. :)
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    Hi!

This is my first post on MFP but have been using the app since January! I have lost 20lbs since starting my journey and need to start exercising. I would love to start running but can't seam to find adequate clothes... I'm from Canada so a little limited... Any recommendations? I think i need 2x tops and bottoms!

Thanks,

Melanie

Try Mark's Work Warehouse - I had good luck finding exercise gear there in larger sizes. Once you get down to 1X, The Running Room is a great spot.
  • HerBravado
    HerBravado Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I use Target & Old Navy. Stylish on a budget. :)
  • elis_mama
    elis_mama Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Old Navy has awesome workout capris, for sure. I've had mine for several years, and they are still going strong and OH so comfy! I just bought a couple of the men's dry-active shirts this past wkd. SUPER comfy and silky feeling! LOVE!
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    skinny emmie's blog has a whole section dedicated to plus size fashion. she's done several posts on specifically workout clothes and there's a whole spreadsheet on her blog often with links about different plus size clothes companies that she loves