Me!

Options
My name is Katie and my sister suggested that I join this site. So far so good. I haven't always been heavy. I was a pretty decent weight in high school. Then 8 years ago I had my daughter. I put on 66 pounds during pregnancy. I lost about 20 right away, but have put on a lot more since then. I am in the process of trying to get my insurance to approve Gastric Bypass surgery. But in the meantime I am working on losing weight before then. I have quite a few medical problems such as: depression, anxiety, fibormyalgia, arthritis in my neck, severe back pain, headaches due to the fibro, & chronic tachycardia. I have had 2 hip surgieries (not replacements). I am pretty sure that I will be needing more surgery on my hips if I don't loose the weight soon.
I work at a call center, so my job is very much non moving. Since I have a resting heartrate of 120 sitting isn't so bad. But walking fast or uphill is next to impossible. I am greatly looking forward to being able to keep up with my daughter and live a long and healthy lifestyle.

Replies

• Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    Welcome. I think you have come to the right place. Take baby steps with changing your life. This will help with a lifestyle change, this is not a diet.

Good Luck. :smile:
  • bjberry
    bjberry Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I do not have the hip problems, but I have the Rheumatoid Arthritis and Fibromyalghia. I have found that getting up and walking even 30 feet a couple of times an hour reduces my pain--after the initial pain from beginning walking each time.
    Speed does not have to be a factor. Slow walking is still exercise. Swimming in a heated pool (at the YMCA?) is another non- or low-pain method of exercise. Laying in bed and putting your arms and legs through a slow, but thorough series of movements is also exercise. I like to start my day that way.
    As you gradually exercise more, you might find your heart rate going down a tiny bit--your doctor might be able to advise you on that.
    I like your plans and good ideas about a healthy life. You go, Sister Life Changer! :drinker: (water)
  • cr4491
    cr4491 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    My mom has fibromyalgia, I've seen how difficult some days can be! Just take small steps and work up to more difficult exercises or dietary changes, DO NOT push yourself TOO HARD right now. It can be harmful!!! Just do little things to start--taking some extra walks, perhaps walking up stairs instead of an elevator at work, park farther away from the building...depending on what your diet is like now you can cut back on portion sizes. Honestly when I was heavy, I drank at least 1 soda a day. I learned to drink diet soda and lost about 5 pounds right off the bat. Then I cut back to only a couple sodas a week. Small changes like this can make big differences when you add them up!!! Good luck to you :) We're all here for similar reasons and we're all here to support one another!
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    welcome and I wish you the best of luck for your weight loss and a new life!
  • kgnawrocki
    Options
    Thank you all for the messages. It's great to see so much support from people who know what it's like. I really do appreciate it. Feel free to add me as a friend as well if you would like.