Whats the Point? Heavy Lifting & Calorie Deficit

Options

Replies

• Tricep_A_Tops
    Options
    Okay thanks. But what about this! Last time I was losing weight, I had the same amount to lose (15lbs approx) I ate approximately 1200cals a day but did NOT track them (Since I remember how I was eating, I recently put the food I was eating back then into MFP to see - and yes it came out around 1200cals per day) So that said, I was doing cardio about 3 times a week and doing light weights at the gym about 3 times a week for about 30min. I lost 15lbs in like 3 months.

THEN I got pregnant with 1st child. He is 15 months old now and I STILL have 15lbs to go to get to where I was before. BUT this time I'm eating 1700 cals a day and heavy lifting 3 times a week, plus cardio 2 times a week.

Why is this time sooooo different??? Please keep in mind - I was 29 when I first lost the weight and I had my first son at 30. Now Im 31 and trying to get rid of this fat off my body - mid section is the worst - thighs, *kitten* and belly.
    Are you taking measurements as well as using the scale? When you lift your muscles retain fluid/water.
  • BarbaraCarr1981
    BarbaraCarr1981 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    I was weighing for a while, seen no results so pushed the scale under the dresser. I was measuring for awhile and seen no changes so I hid the measuring tape.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    let's see.. the difference is in my little amount of weight loss i went from a size 22 jeans to a size 14 jean s and i'm not even an apple shape (someone who loses weight easily from their lower body). it was also relatively painless - terms of calorie deficit , not in terms of lifting heavy a$$ed weights :laugh: . in comparison the people i knew who lost 5 pant sizes and ate a larger deficit only doing primarily cardio and barbie weights had to lose a much larger amount of scale weight. they also looked like they had aged 10 years more but that's beyond the scope of this thread.

so i guess the point is you get the same results looks wise working smarter rather than longer.
  • fittiephd
    fittiephd Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    you can still get stronger while at a slight deficit but you can't GAIN muscle tissue. You can lose body fat though! I personally always eat around maintenance though.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    I eat a slight calorie deficit and lift heavy. I dunno all the sciency stuff but it's making me f'in SEXY. I feel great inside and out. I feel strong and I enjoy it. It's a long process but it's so worth it. Sorry I'm no help :)
    You lower bf% by losing weight while retaining lean muscle mass. Heavy lifting retains muscle mass while in a calorie deficit. Its much harder to get to your desired bf% level if you lose lbm at a similar rate as you lose fat.
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Strength training is a great way to retain muscle mass while losing weight, also you can get stronger during a cut (pure strength is more neurological in nature).
  • GamerLady
    GamerLady Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    See my profile pic.... That was done on a calorie deficit and heavy lifting programme!

Thanks, I knew it was possible. Thanks for showing it is. :smile:
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I just started lifting 5 weeks ago; during that time I ate about a 500 cal/day deficit (2000+ gross cals/day; my TDEE is around 2500-2600). I dropped my cardio from 300+ min/week to about 120 min/week.

I took progress pics this morning. Here's what happened (before and after):

2lxef6a.png

I also lost inches and about 6 lbs in this time frame. I am stronger.

Yes, I do believe I will keep doing this :bigsmile:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I just started lifting 5 weeks ago; during that time I ate about a 500 cal/day deficit (2000+ gross cals/day; my TDEE is around 2500-2600). I dropped my cardio from 300+ min/week to about 120 min/week.

2lxef6a.png

^^I love this.
  • Tricep_A_Tops
    Options
    you can still get stronger while at a slight deficit but you can't GAIN muscle tissue. You can lose body fat though! I personally always eat around maintenance though.
    Yea you can.
  • professorRAT
    professorRAT Posts: 690 Member
    Options

2lxef6a.png

^^I love this.

^ditto!

Yep, it does a body good :smile:
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options

2lxef6a.png

dat back :love: :drinker:
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    You lower bf% by losing weight while retaining lean muscle mass. Heavy lifting retains muscle mass while in a calorie deficit. Its much harder to get to your desired bf% level if you lose lbm at a similar rate as you lose fat.

:drinker:
  • alissadough84
    alissadough84 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I eat a slight calorie deficit and lift heavy. I dunno all the sciency stuff but it's making me f'in SEXY. I feel great inside and out. I feel strong and I enjoy it. It's a long process but it's so worth it. Sorry I'm no help :)

^^^ THIS!!
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    I love the change in shoulders. I can't believe it was only five weeks:)
    (Cmeirun)
  • Energizer06
    Energizer06 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    You do work abs and do pushups in the SL5x5.

Workout A
    Squats x5
    Bench Press x5
    Inverted Rows x5
    Pushups - to fatigue x 3
    Reverse Ab Crunch- til it bloody hurts and tears roll down your face

Workout B
    Squats x5
    Overhead Press x5
    Deadlift x1
    Pullups or Chin ups Alternate every other - to fatigue x3
    Plank 30sec intervals x 3
  • _namaste_
    _namaste_ Posts: 246
    Options
    Subbing. Love this thread.
  • bkknauer
    bkknauer Posts: 28
    Options
    Generally speaking pregnancy stretches your skin and muscles out in such a way that they dont quite ever look the same even with alot of work. It also changers your body chemistry, metabolism and how you store fat. A lot of women struggle around the midsection afterward. Keep at it though you can improve it. I find core work helps me the most...
  • bkknauer
    Options
    thanks for the answer while i do some different and some the same exercises in my thrive class 5 days a week i do them at least that heavy or more in most cases so i guess what i do is "heavy" lifting just never thought of it that way. I also do a lot of core work, planking, rope climping, pull ups and push around sleds that weigh 200-300 pounds. I would be pretty happy overall if i didnt have 30 pounds of excess skin to work around but thats my chain of shame for letting my self go for 15 years. Sooo much happier this way though!
  • bkknauer
    Options
    Generally speaking that is what i do so that answers my question. Well than in my opinion you can both lose fat and gain muscle on a calorie deficit because all of 2011 and 2012 i ate around 800-1000 calories a day and worked out 6-7 times a week. I have lost 170 lbs and have gained alot of muscle. I have between 15 and 20 more pounds to lose depending on how much of it is skin. so i now eat 1500 calories a day because i work out so hard if i go much lower cant seem to make it though the day. Am thinking about trying to go to 1200 which is what my husband does but he is a cardio junky and only lifts a couple times a week. He is another example of being able to do both as he has lost 120 lbs and gained a ton of muscle on 800-1200 calories also.