What can I do!?!?!

Options
Hello all just as a bit of back story let me start with this.

I am 22 and I have a rod from my hip to my knee in my right leg (broken femur from a car accident at 18) I also have multiple screws in my knee and hip, making things like lunges squats or kicks very painful and hard to do.

Well I only found out recently that I still CANT do those things. Yesterday I did an exercise video with my sister in law and ended up stuck in a low lunge when my knee wouldn't push me back up (just sat there my muscles shaking and my self in exrutiating pain unable to stand on my own. Now my knee is severely bruised and very sore, most likely from the screws that potrude and scrap against my muscle.) I am wondering what would be a great NON gym non outside exercise I can do at home/work.

I can go up and down stairs, but very slowly and sometimes painfully. Walking is fine and I do a bit of it but i was hoping for something else. :) Also, what are things I could do to strengthen it so I can eventually due lunges etc.

sorry if this is a bit much but I'm hoping for ideas thanks a bunch

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I think you need to talk to a physical therapist about this.
  • ElizIvory
    ElizIvory Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I will look into that.

Does anyone else have some suggestions?
  • ChrisLindsay9
    ChrisLindsay9 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I think Jen is right. A physical therapist would probably be your best bet.

I was thinking maybe stair climbs with weights? If you have stairs in your home, maybe you can pick up some dumbbells or use two milk/water jugs with a certain amount of water in them as dumbbells, and walk up and down the stairs at a pace that's comfortable to you? But you mention that stairs is sometimes painful, so that may not work.
  • ValerieMomof2
    ValerieMomof2 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Ditto the PT or go to your ortho and see what can he/she suggests since you are having extreme issues. They will have a better grasp on your history and can give you better suggestions
  • JessicaN1979
    JessicaN1979 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    swimming might be a good option
  • Blondie251975
    Blondie251975 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others, find a professional to help out, but how about focus on the body parts that aren't affected....arms/abs....All the upper body lifts, and ab exercises should not incorporate your injured leg. Maybe a hand pedal bike? Then, if your legs can handle, maybe some low impact aerobic, or walking on a treadmill....:) Stick with it, someone will be able to help you!
  • acm130
    acm130 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Absolutely, conferring w/ a PT but you said walking is something you can do, so by all means do it! Walking is cardio! Add some crunches, free weights for arms etc. Lunges and squats are great but they're not a defining be all/end all in terms of achieving fitness and cardiovascular health. Maybe there are things you can't do, but explore and identify the things you CAN do. There's a guy in my tri-training club who's a vet w/ a below the knee amp and femur rod w/ total knee arthroplasty and he's completed many marathons and tris. Don't give up, keep looking for ways to be active and incorporate fitness into your life and you will find so many rewards!
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    I saw this on fitnessblender the other day, haven't yet tried it

http://www.fitnessblender.com/v/exercise-detail/Butt-Thigh-No-Squat-Workout-Leg-Workout-Without-Squats-or-Lunges/b6/

( obviously see a physio as well as already mentioned)
  • tvanhooser
    tvanhooser Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Does the bicycle motion hurt it? If not, you could try that. I picked up a functional exercise bike at Salvation Army this week for only $2 because I already had a bum knee and could only do walking, biking, occasional swimming and low-impact aerobics without hurting it. But now I have recently discovered I also have a hernia and my surgeon's consult is next week. In the meantime, my doctor said walking and biking are OK but not much else. (Swimming probably would be OK too but I don't have regular access to a pool for that) So my Fitness Blender (fitnessblender.com) workouts that I've been relying on during the cold and rainy Oregon winter/spring are kind of on hold for the time being. So the indoor bike is a Godsend to give me an inside option when the weather is not cooperating -- or I'm trying to kick a cold, like now!! I don't know if that would work in your case. But I've found that if I don't waste time bemoaning and making excuses for what I can't physically do and just concentrate on doing what I CAN do (which in the beginning was only walking and my knee PT), pretty soon I find I can do the things I couldn't before. So keep your spirits up and see your doctor or physical therapist like everyone is saying and just do what you can and that will slowly make you stronger to try things you never thought you could do....when it is medically advisable to try. But I would advise you to avoid any exercise alone just so you don't have a repeat of your getting stuck!! At least have someone nearby who can help you in case anything happens!! Be safe!
  • tvanhooser
    tvanhooser Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    BOO-YAH for the Fitness Blender shout out!! Kelli and Daniel are awesome.....if anyone is going to have something you could try, it would be them. They have so many videos, all free, all different styles and muscle groups. Just have to find the ones that work for you. They are my go to exercise when I have to stay inside....at least until the doctor restricted me due to the hernia. But hopefully they'll get that fixed up soon and I can get back to something other than their "Indoor Cycling Workout."

I saw this on fitnessblender the other day, haven't yet tried it

http://www.fitnessblender.com/v/exercise-detail/Butt-Thigh-No-Squat-Workout-Leg-Workout-Without-Squats-or-Lunges/b6/

( obviously see a physio as well as already mentioned)