Replacing the Hamburger in Hamburger Helper

Options
Okay, so I know that HB Helper is not the healthiest thing to eat, but we're broke and I have like 6 boxes of the stuff that I haven't touched in a while because I would keep it around as a "last resort" food. Well we're down to our last resort until pay day. So last night for supper I made the Cheeseburger Macaroni variety and instead of using hamburger meat I used black beans, because my hamburger meat was frozen and I was in a hurry. Then I added corn and salsa. It's surprisingly good and it's probably destroying my calorie count, but I need to know how to input it into my food diary.

I would appreciate any tips. And please don't criticize me for eating that stuff. We're super broke. We used to eat it on a weekly basis because it's cheap. But I have six boxes of it and we haven't had any since April.

Replies

• Koshie
    Koshie Posts: 61
    Options
    This is pretty tricky. Is there a Pre made nutritional information on the HBH? If so I would use that, Then I would add the Blackbeans, corn and Salsa. And Hey dont worry about cheep food! I ate a $.50 chicken burritto..... and I didnt see any chicken inside it either!
  • Samantharose8akaDebbie
    Samantharose8akaDebbie Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Use the total number of calories (for the whole box) plus the can of black beans (calories), corn calories and Salsa calories and then divide by the number of servings and then just do a quick add calories.
  • kylielouttit
    kylielouttit Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Okay, so I know that HB Helper is not the healthiest thing to eat, but we're broke and I have like 6 boxes of the stuff that I haven't touched in a while because I would keep it around as a "last resort" food. Well we're down to our last resort until pay day. So last night for supper I made the Cheeseburger Macaroni variety and instead of using hamburger meat I used black beans, because my hamburger meat was frozen and I was in a hurry. Then I added corn and salsa. It's surprisingly good and it's probably destroying my calorie count, but I need to know how to input it into my food diary.

I would appreciate any tips. And please don't criticize me for eating that stuff. We're super broke. We used to eat it on a weekly basis because it's cheap. But I have six boxes of it and we haven't had any since April.

No judgement here. You do what you have to do.
  • april522
    april522 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I would take the premade nutritional ingredients for each serving and multiple it by the # of servings in the box: for example, 100 calories per serving and there are 4 servings = 400 calories; then add the nutritional info the the other ingredients you used.

One you have to total ingredients added together, I would usually divide by 4 again. I know that might sound a little complicated . . . sorry!
  • theatremack
    Options
    I so wouldn't beat yourself up about eating it. You choose a healthier protein so other than the sodium in it, it wasn't too bad. They have The Hamburger Helper in your food database, maybe just use the one with the lean meat. You'll see that even the regular isn't going to blow your entire calorie count.

You are doing a great job and being a great mother. Maybe you can use the noodles and create your own pasta with a little dressing and the corn and beans next time. Taking out the packet of sauce would make a difference because that is where the sodium is. Congratulate yourself for finding a healthier way to make the Hamburger helper.
  • size7again
    size7again Posts: 81
    Options
    we are in the SAME boat chickie!!! nothing to eat and no extra cash to go get anything else than what we have so i am with you on this!!! i hate it too i decided to measure out mine so i get close to the calorie count. beiing broke sucks!!! i feel your pain hon!!:heart: maybe we can share cheapo recipes... ill friend you i do have a few that are low cal and pretty cheap too
  • Kimd1972
    Kimd1972 Posts: 45
    Options
    First and foremost, do not be embarrassed about going with your "last resort" food!! I can definitely relate. Time to use all the information on this site to pull together a filling and healthy meal! Like you said, you already know it's not the healthiest, but you can make it healthier!! I like the posts aboout using beans and stuff. Also, you can use ground turkey or ground chicken. You can also add any veggies you have around - bell pepper, onions, zuchinni, squash, etc. All these are summer veggies and are relatively cheap right now. Use the BOX nutritional information w/o the meat and then add the info for anything you add. Divide by the number of servings and you got it. Be careful about the sodium content! Push water, water, water....

Good Luck and let me know what you decide to do!

Kimberly
  • angelascott919
    Options
    So many people think you can't be poor and lose weight. That the cheap food is always full of calories. This is so not true. Living on a budget is what a lot of us have to do. We can still manager to eat healthy and lose weight. We aren't spending the hundreds of dollars on chips, cakes and soda. We are buying veggies, fruit, and lean meats.

Good job on taking something usually so calorie loaded and making it healthier. I'll have to remember that recipe.
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    I so wouldn't beat yourself up about eating it. You choose a healthier protein so other than the sodium in it, it wasn't too bad. They have The Hamburger Helper in your food database, maybe just use the one with the lean meat. You'll see that even the regular isn't going to blow your entire calorie count.

Great advice: don't trip on it, just look to make better options available as a last resort next time.

I will suggest that you could probably have made it cheaper by just buying macaroni as a staple and then using a little milk, butter and spices to "mimic" as hamburger helper is pretty much just that.

Not only is it cheaper, it's actually better for you because you're not opting into the extra weird stuff that might be in the boxes. So next time you are stocking the pantry, look for the ingredients that are usually in the boxed versions.
  • bjberry
    bjberry Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I agree with Koshie: You took a highly caloric food and turned it into a much healthier food through replacement techniques. Kudos!
    Per a Calorie Counter site: http://thecaloriecounter.com/Foods/2200/22700/Food.aspx,
    Dry Hamburger Helper Cheeseburger Macaroni mix is (per 45g serving):
    178 calories
    Fat = 4.2g
    Sat Fat = 1.3g
    Cholesterol = 4.1mg
    Sodium = 913.5
    Carbs = 28.9
    Protien = 5
    Vit A = 0
    Vit C = 2
    Calcium = 0
    Iron = 6.

Then you figure out the serving sizes for the beans and salsa and add them in separately to your Dinner list.

Have fun! (I use the computer calculator for the addition, division, etc.)
    :drinker: (water)
  • rob1976
    rob1976 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    We've always "healthied" ours up by replacing the ground beef with half ground turkey/half chopped veggies. We use carrots, cabbage, bell peppers, and celery. We do the same thing with Manwich.
  • StarryEyedGirl
    Options
    you are still counting calories which is most important. when you get to food shop you will get all that other good stuff you need and what you "threw" together sounds good and creative!! you made due with what you had! and you did a good job too. as long as your not eating your 1200 calories(or what ever your calorie allowance is) in butter I think you will be just fine!
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    I would do the nutrition info for "as packaged" and then add in what you ate on top of that.

I completely understand on being broke and eating Hamburger Helper... I credit that for the reason I started gaining weight in the first place! We only had money for junky food. Even now with double the money we had back then, we are barely making it buying fresh fruits and veggies. I could get Hamburger Helper for 25 cents a box if I coupon and then stock up on meat when it is on sale... there are no coupons for fresh or frozen produce.
  • abrant35
    abrant35 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hey! Nothing to be ashamed about here!! We do this all the time and just add chicken and veggies. There is a dry mix only on the database. Just use that then add in your extras! The more good stuff you add the less of the actual "hamburger helper" you are eating. If we have it, we will even add whole wheat pasta/rice with it. And remember: Don't sweat the small stuff! :) Good luck!!
  • marsha73
    marsha73 Posts: 23
    Options
    Dont feel bad, we have all been in that position. I am in the same position myself- sometimes you just have to do what you have to do. Sounds like you made a pretty good compromise. I would just add the dry mix then add the other calories to it. You know what we all have days when we go over our calories, so if you did, tomorrow is a new day. Dont sweat it.
    I dont like hamburger helper myself,(but my daughter loves it) so we compromise. I mix together a package of dry macaroni(cooked), hamburger(cooked), onion(browned),a little cheese, salt, pepper and I have homemade hamburger helper. She loves it. Then there isnt all that "processed food stuff in there) All of those ingredients I usually have on hand.
  • Pieater
    Pieater Posts: 40
    Options
    Bump!
  • workingitout
    workingitout Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Good job on working with what you had and improving it! There's a website I have used before that has frugal recipes - they are back to basics and don't use too many ingredients. It is hillbillyhousewife.com. Funny name, but I did find it helpful and tagged it as a favorite so I can go back to some of the recipes. For anyone who uses the angel food boxes, they have recipes there that work with each box's ingredients. I think it's a neat idea.