calculating calories for non cardio/strength exercise

Options
Hi...I'm beginning a new exercise challenge that involves multiple reps of squats, plank, wall sit, etc....how do I calculate the calories burned? Thx

Replies

• skaimee
    skaimee Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I log as strength training
  • Energizer06
    Energizer06 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    If you can wear a HRM. If not, it depends if your giving yourself a break between sets. If you give yourself 30 sec or less before hitting the next exercise, I would log as circuit training, if its longer than 30 sec. log as strength training.

Wife wears a HRM when we do strong lifts 5x5 and she burns more than what MFP says.
  • mmk2988
    mmk2988 Posts: 43
    Options
    There are seperate entries for pushups, situps and squats in exercise diary of MFP, try to use it.
  • kcaffee1
    kcaffee1 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    For strength training involving weights, I've started using this information. (linked it to my blog so I could go back and reference when needed.)

Not sure about the body weight stuff, but I have found a couple of exercise entries in the database for the few I've looked for.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/kcaffee1/view/personal-fyi-481938

Hope this helps!
  • Tamurken
    Tamurken Posts: 14
    Options
    Although you could guess the amount of calories burned, it's rather hard as its dependent on multiple things from muscle mass, reps, strength, weights used etc. It's kind of like trying to measure the outlook for how much you will drive for the week. You could say work is only 20 miles there and back exactly, but detours or errands are pretty hard to take into account for how much you really are driving.

The best way to measure strength training is by the amount of weight, reps and sets you do. If you absolutely really want to add a calorie burn to this, you could try to look online for estimates from fitness sites but don't take it as an absolute truth.
  • coachcr7
    coachcr7 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello,I'm new to the site. I added run time and the site calculated calories burned and added it to my daily allowable.

Then, I added some strength training exercises such as bench press, etc including weight, sets and reps. However, it doesn't calculate calories burned, so it doesn't adjust my daily allowable. Is there something else I need to do?
  • kcaffee1
    kcaffee1 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    @coachcr7 - under cardio, look up strength training, and use the minutes you've been training. I've added a link back to my blog for the formula to get an estimate of how many calories you've burned if you don't like/trust MFP's numbers.
  • coachcr7
    coachcr7 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks, kcaffee1. I appreciate your help. I'll give that a try.