What to do first?

Options
Is it best to do cardio before weight training or weight training before cardio?

Replies

• DandelionCupcakes
    DandelionCupcakes Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I've heard a lot to support both ways.
    Personally, I did 5 minutes of cardio to get 'used' to being in the gym, then weight training, then the rest of my cardio.
    Reason being, I wanted to make sure my form was good and that I wasn't going to hurt myself or anything :]
  • AvsFreak
    AvsFreak Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    You could do a 5-10 minute warm up before you lift, then do your main cardio after. Save your energy for the weights.
  • MrsCJ1
    MrsCJ1 Posts: 77
    Options
    I have had my personal training friends tell me that you should complete your cardio AFTER weight training because you will burn more fat this way...I won't go into the scientific reasoning like they did:wink: . They also recommend HIIT training. However...if I am going to do both in a day, I PERSONALLY do my cardio first...preference. I tend to completely slack on it (or blow it off) if I do it after lifting, but it seems to energize me more if I do it before and get me pumped to lift. Just my personal preference though.
  • dezcast
    dezcast Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I've heard a lot to support both ways.
    Personally, I did 5 minutes of cardio to get 'used' to being in the gym, then weight training, then the rest of my cardio.
    Reason being, I wanted to make sure my form was good and that I wasn't going to hurt myself or anything :]

This is what my trainer has me do. 5 mins cardio to get my heartrate up (after stretching of course) weight training and then cardio and stretching again
  • Melissaol
    Melissaol Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    I do my cardo first then weights.
  • albertine58
    albertine58 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    if you must separate them, I say definitely weights first. There's some science thrown behind it that seems to make sense, but also doesn't it obviously make the most sense to put most of your energy into strength training?

But I think the very BEST way to condition your body is to do them together- try to use as many dynamic moves as possible that incorporate multiple muscle groups at once, and do cardio drills in between strength exercises (burpees, jump squats, jumping lunges, mountain climbers- endless options!). I've had faster results with this style of workout more than anything else, by far, and it is what most of the personal trainers I know do on their own!
  • EazyEray
    EazyEray Posts: 10
    Options
    I alternate days. I'm doing Power 90 & have had awesome results and it's 1 day cardio & next day weights.