Suunto M1 vs Polar FT4?

Options
Hey guys,

I'm pretty new to this forum as I stumbled upon it when I was searching something about my whole body aching due to the first week of insanity :sad: But anyway, the instructor for the insanity program kept saying "check your heart rate" so I thought maybe I should buy a HRM..

Right now, I am torn between the Suunto M1 and the Polar FT4. Both are around the same price on a website that I am looking at but so far I've only come across people who own the Polar FT4 and so far people are saying that its good.. However, I really like the design on the Suunto M1 compared to the Polar FT4 but there arent a lot of reviews on this. I dont know which one to pick because both products have their positives and negatives. Ideas? My head is about to explode :explode:

Any input is appreciated guys! :blushing:

Replies

• JeNn45nFiT
    JeNn45nFiT Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I was in the same boat a few months ago and I got the Polar FT4 and love it! :)
  • thecabbagebeast
    Options
    Oh really? What made you choose the Polar FT4?
  • JeNn45nFiT
    JeNn45nFiT Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Honestly just the ease of use and the advice I got on here, and from reading other reviews online. Haven't regretted it at all.

With that being said I was doing really good with my workouts and everything and lost about 14pds, fell off the wagon and now just getting back on track so now have just started using it again. :)
  • rosered93
    rosered93 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I have the ft4 as well (so I clearly can't offer a comparative perspective) and I'm very happy with it.
    The strap is very comfortable (I never know I'm wearing it) and barely slips--I need to adjust it maybe once, typically 40 or so minutes into a workout.
    I have the bronze watch and it's very every-day-wearable. I love that it's waterproof so I basically never have to take it off--i.e. when showering. It's a very clear screen and very easy to flip through the different read-outs (HR, calories burned, time, heart rate zone) during a workout. It was very easy to set up when I first bought it, as well.
    It stores workout data for the past 10 workouts, and stores totals for... every workout. It's kind of nifty to see how many calories /total/ I've burned since buying the thing ha. It also connects to a great many machines at the gym to accurately display my heart rate--but only the one I'm on, not my neighbor's :)
    Aaand, if you're American (I'm not) you can get it quite cheap on--us Canadians have to pay a bit more, but I don't regret it.
  • thecabbagebeast
    Options
    Honestly just the ease of use and the advice I got on here, and from reading other reviews online. Haven't regretted it at all.

With that being said I was doing really good with my workouts and everything and lost about 14pds, fell off the wagon and now just getting back on track so now have just started using it again. :)

But I really love the design on the Suunto M1!! It looks so good compared to the polar FT4 which looks really outdated haha ahh decisions, decisions!
  • thecabbagebeast
    Options
    I have the ft4 as well (so I clearly can't offer a comparative perspective) and I'm very happy with it.
    The strap is very comfortable (I never know I'm wearing it) and barely slips--I need to adjust it maybe once, typically 40 or so minutes into a workout.
    I have the bronze watch and it's very every-day-wearable. I love that it's waterproof so I basically never have to take it off--i.e. when showering. It's a very clear screen and very easy to flip through the different read-outs (HR, calories burned, time, heart rate zone) during a workout. It was very easy to set up when I first bought it, as well.
    It stores workout data for the past 10 workouts, and stores totals for... every workout. It's kind of nifty to see how many calories /total/ I've burned since buying the thing ha. It also connects to a great many machines at the gym to accurately display my heart rate--but only the one I'm on, not my neighbor's :)
    Aaand, if you're American (I'm not) you can get it quite cheap on--us Canadians have to pay a bit more, but I don't regret it.

Thanks for that! I live in Australia and its about $80 incl shipping so its not too bad haha
  • here
    here Posts: 69
    Options
    Got the Polar FT4 on recommendation and I loooove it.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    I have a Suunto m1 - been using it for 2.5 years now - and it is still going strong ( have just needed to replace the armband)

I wear it as my normal watch, and that was the main reason I chose it over the polar - it just looks so much better .....
    It is really easy to set up, and the chest strap is very comfortable - I sometimes forget to take it off when I finish working out, and easily adjustable as you get smaller.
    I also use it for swimming - and it works really well, so it gives me everything I need....
  • thecabbagebeast
    Options
    I have a Suunto m1 - been using it for 2.5 years now - and it is still going strong ( have just needed to replace the armband)

I wear it as my normal watch, and that was the main reason I chose it over the polar - it just looks so much better .....
    It is really easy to set up, and the chest strap is very comfortable - I sometimes forget to take it off when I finish working out, and easily adjustable as you get smaller.
    I also use it for swimming - and it works really well, so it gives me everything I need....

Finally someone with the Suunto M1 watch! Is it hard to look at the time usually because of its lack of backlight? Also with the chest strap, do you just wear it or do you have to wet it first like the polar one in order for it to recognize your heart beat? And can you put it in the washing machine?

I appreciate your input!! Thanks
  • thecabbagebeast
    Options
    Ahh, I still cant decide! I need more input guys!
  • bluebear_74
    bluebear_74 Posts: 179
    Options
    I'm in Australia too :D but I'm not much help because I have the FT7 but I really really love it. I got it via http://www.thepolarshop.com.au but not sure if they are the cheapest.

The Suunto does look prettier but I know Polar is a really good brand.
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Go with the Polar they have a good reputation, They have a 2 year warranty as well.. I have the FT7 had it for 2.5 years now
  • thecabbagebeast
    Options
    I'm in Australia too :D but I'm not much help because I have the FT7 but I really really love it. I got it via http://www.thepolarshop.com.au but not sure if they are the cheapest.

The Suunto does look prettier but I know Polar is a really good brand.

Oh cool! yeah buying directly from the website is not the greatest place as they charge you full price haha
  • thecabbagebeast
    Options
    Go with the Polar they have a good reputation, They have a 2 year warranty as well.. I have the FT7 had it for 2.5 years now

Hmm yeah, Suunto also has a 1 or 2 year warranty too im pretty sure! The only reason why I would go for the Suunto is for its looks aha but the Polar really seems like a good option right now.. Thanks for your opinion!
  • heatmack
    heatmack Posts: 29
    Options
    I bought a Suunto 4 months ago because I wanted a HRM that was easy to use and under $100. I'm really happy with my purchase, it's so easy to use and set up.no issuesat this point. Good luck!
  • thecabbagebeast
    Options
    I bought a Suunto 4 months ago because I wanted a HRM that was easy to use and under $100. I'm really happy with my purchase, it's so easy to use and set up.no issuesat this point. Good luck!

Hey there, Is it hard to look at the time usually because of its lack of backlight? Also with the chest strap, do you just wear it or do you have to wet it first like the polar one in order for it to recognize your heart beat? And can you put it in the washing machine?
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Lots of Polar's available for under $100.. my preference is Polar. Good warranty, well known, no nonsense brand.
  • thecabbagebeast
    Options
    Lots of Polar's available for under $100.. my preference is Polar. Good warranty, well known, no nonsense brand.

Have you had experience with Suunto?
  • MeganDoutch
    Options
    I set out to the sports stores today with Polar FT60 in my mind but then after talking with the assistant I am now also torn between that and the Suunto M5. She said go with the Suunto because with the Polar you need to send it back to Adelaide to get the battery replaced if you want to keep the warranty. With the Suunto you can replace the battery easily yourself for the cost of the battery ($2). Also - the Polar has a MASSIVE GPS foot device whereas the Suunto's is much more petite and less heavy.

Which one did you go for in the end? I am hesitant as I just want to make sure the Suunto is a good brand.....and also I much prefer the look of the Polar.

PS - I also live in Oz, Melbourne.