First time half marathon! Advice!!?!?!?

Options
Hey Everyone!

I'm going to attempt to run my first half marathon! I am not a runner- I love spinning but thought that a new challenge sounded good. I use to run when I was younger (intervals, bc of soccer) but I can't think of the last time I ran over 3 miles. This month my goal is to get to running 3 miles easily. I am running 3x a week, again interval training, running 10 walking 5 running 10 and then finishing with a cool down. I also will still be spinning a few days a week, bc I love it! Each week I will increase my run time.

In August I start a training program. (To join the program I have to be able to run 30 minutes without stopping).

Does anyone have any tips? Or success stories!!!???

Replies

• kylielouttit
    kylielouttit Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    My ultimate goal is to run a marathon, I just want to with you the best of luck!
  • Peterr211
    Peterr211 Posts: 1
    Options
    Google a 1/2 marathon training schedule for a good idea of how to train, then adjust it to fit what you like best.

Also, don't over-train one day just because you feel like you can. I was training for a marathon a few years back. I was to run 12 miles one day, but decided to keep going and ran 17 or 18. My body was not ready for that and I had to take most of a month off recovering, as well as drop to the 1/2 marathon.
  • ali_cali
    ali_cali Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are doing what you should to get to the Run-30-min-straight goal to enter the training program. Every other day, just increase the amount of time you jog by a minute, and decrease the amount of time you walk by a minute. You'll make it soon - I'd say about a month of that, and you should be able to jog the entire 30 minutes.

The training programs are great and will help you build up to the half marathon distance. I bet it will take at least 4 months, or longer, to build up to it, but you can do it! Don't expect quick results, and also, don't do too much or you'll risk injury. It took me several years to build up from a 5K to a full marathon, but it's all worth it!
  • princesspurple
    Options
    i first started running by adding small amounts every day i ran....then i downloaded hal higdons 12 week half-marathon schedule and to run my first half w/
  • sweetscorpio17
    sweetscorpio17 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    The program I will be doing is through Fleet Feet. The program is only 8 weeks though! The only requirement is that I be able to run 30 minutes w/o stopping. We have group runs on Wed and Sunday. I'm really hoping that once I get to a point my body adjusts to running.
  • katapple
    katapple Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    How are you feeling after your 10/5/10 runs? Maybe try a shorter walking break next time...or go 10/2.5/10/2.5/5 to help build the endurance up. I would make sure each session is at least 30 minutes and then you can weed out the walking breaks as you go. Have you seen the couch to 5k program? Maybe try following that starting on week 4 or 5 so that by the end of July you'll be running your 30 minutes straight.

I ran 10 miles for the first time last week, but I stopped and walked for a tenth of a mile every 3 miles just so I could be sure I made it through. I've run a few 5ks a 12k and a 10k...half is next on the list and will be running one in September. Good luck to you!
  • RentThisSpace
    RentThisSpace Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    This is more than a feasible goal. Every runner started out a person couldn’t run 3 miles, so if you keep up with that training schedule, you will be fine.

Myself, I went from career ending knee surgery (from college soccer), to not being able to run, to being able run, to a 5K, 10K, 15K, Half, and eventually a Full Marathon. So its possible, just stay motivated and stick to your training and diet. Checking with local running groups for training runs. I know lots of running shoe stores have a team that train for local long distance races, will set up a schedule for everyone to run, do the trail mapping, and some even provide water stops. Checking around you local community running store is a great way to find these events, so be sure to ask the clerk next time you visit.

Also, when is your race? Are you going to be doing a Couch to 5K program first to get up to the 3.1 miles continuous run? If you haven’t ran in awhile, I’d highly recommend this approach to get up in distance quicker.

On last thing, keep a log of your distances a times. I prefer to use a computer one so that I can easily go back and see how much more I’m running now than one week ago, one month ago, etc.

Good luck!
  • arlareed
    arlareed Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've run 2 half marathons. Don't get discouraged! Spend the money to get good running shoes - it is well worth it and will prevent potential injuries. When is the marathon?
  • sweetscorpio17
    sweetscorpio17 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    The race is October 3rd :)
  • neenaleigh
    neenaleigh Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    it took me 3 months to train for my first half marathon. I started January 3rd, I could only run for 3 mins at a time...I now have completed TWO 1/2 marathons and am signed up for two more by the end of the year!

I now run just about every day and i love it!
  • neenaleigh
    neenaleigh Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    The program I will be doing is through Fleet Feet. The program is only 8 weeks though! The only requirement is that I be able to run 30 minutes w/o stopping. We have group runs on Wed and Sunday. I'm really hoping that once I get to a point my body adjusts to running.

Fleet Feet will not let you down! My first 1/2er was something they put on! YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!!