Help! Shin splints again!

Options
It seems like every time I think i'm ready to give running a go again, I get shin splints. This time I decided I would take it slow, mostly because I hurt my hip flexor so I had to. I started walking on the treadmill with the interval program. Once I do that for 30mins then I have been running 1/10th of a mile at the end, hoping that would help my body get used to moving again. Last week I tried doing 1/20 of a mile one day and now my shins hurt again! I don't know what is up with these shins of mine. My body seems to be all out of whack. Has anyone else had this problem? What did you do? I want to eventually be able to run a 5k but my shins are making it pretty hard to train. When I don't do the treadmill, I do the elliptical or walk outside. Thanks for any help!

-Kathy

Replies

• Steph_B_
    Steph_B_ Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem. I went to a running store and got fitted for some running shoes. I had to take those back once and got some that I now wear. If you haven't already it might be time for new shoes. Make sure you go somewhere where they watch you run to fit you for the right shoes. Also ice packs or frozen Dixie cups if water help to ice them every time after you work them. One of the main things I had to do was just take it easy for about a week till it started to subside. Then ease back into it and really listen to your body. When you feel it slow down.
    Oh something that helped me a lot was buying a pair of compression sleves. I wear those quite a bit. I got those with the second pair of shoes so it could have been those more then the shoes even.
    Hope this helps..
  • Kilter
    Kilter Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    A large part of shin pain can be fixed by addressing the following; stride, shoes, distance.

It sounds like your distance is not the issue, you are just starting out and you are taking steps to build slowly (very smart).

How new are your shoes? Have you worn them to the point where the sole is flexible in your hands?

And stride, when you run, what part of your foot hits the ground (or treadmill) first? Is it your heel? Between your heel and your midsole? Your midsole? Between your midsole and your toes? On your toes?

I'm going to guess the following (based entirely on my experience with other runners);
    a) you are using your gym shoes on a treadmill. these are comfortable, fit you well and need to be left outside overnight.
    b) you are hitting on your heel when you run (or even walk quickly). don't look yourself, ask someone at the gym (friend or gym employee) to watch you run on/off for your 30 minutes.

There are great exercises that you can do to strengthen the muscles around your shin area (lift a 10lb dumbbell with your toes while sitting at your desk at work), but most of the time a new pair of shoes and a forward adjustment in your stride (remember running barefoot in grass as a kid... try that on the treadmill) will fix things.

S
  • EllaIsNotEnchanted
    EllaIsNotEnchanted Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    A large part of shin pain can be fixed by addressing the following; stride, shoes, distance.

This guy pretty much gave all the answers that I would say and then some.

Also, I reaaaaallly love this work-out.
    Kind of like Calf-raises but the opposite-- they're toe taps!
    Watch this video and follow the exercises.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66r_kWvgwUo#t=1m18s

You can also do this exercise standing.

Also, Ice. This is critical if you have shin splints and want to go into running.
  • foot2wood
    foot2wood Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I'd go get a gait analysis and fitted for decent running shoes in a run specific store with the proper equipment. The compression sleeves seem to help many people and i have read great things about them, but i have yet to try them. Ice it and take it easy, but don't get discouraged, cause you're gonna come to a point where you'll be feeling like a million bucks when you go for a run.
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    In addition to what everyone else said, all of which I agree with, I would also suggest trying your running outside, especially if you can get to a dirt or gravel path. I am more injury prone when I run on the treadmill because it isn't natural and I carry myself differently. But deal with the shoes and your stride first.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Quit heel striking
  • Mcctin65
    Mcctin65 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    How do you stop heel striking?
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    How do you stop heel striking?

The easiest way is to run without shoes, only letting your heel touch via a light kiss (at most). Once you learn to run that way softly without shoes, run the exact same way with shoes.

Barefoot running is as good of a "how not to heel strike" coach as there is.

You don't have to go crazy with it and run long, but a little easy barefoot running now and then is about as good of running form work as there is.

Running with a light heel kiss = midfoot striking.
    Running with no heel touching = forefoot striking.
    Running where your heel bears load and your weight rolls from your heel to your forefoot for toe-off = heel striking

Many people that think they midfoot strike in fact are heel strikers, slapping their midfoot down without it bearing any load. If your weight rolls from your heel forward, you are a heel striker. True midfoot striking is a variation of forefoot striking, almost all of your weight is on your forefoot, the heel just kisses.