Fitbit

Options
I want to get a Fitbit pedometer but IDK which one to get. I already have a HRM that calculates my calories burned and such for me. I was thinking just the $60 clip on one but IDK..I have $40 in rewards from Best Buy so it's not going to be too huge of a purchase.

Replies

• col443
    col443 Posts: 17
    Options
    I am waiting for the new one to come out. The website keeps saying spring of 2013 so soon I hope. The only reason I am waiting is because the new one is a wrist band. I know if I buy the ones on the market today I will end up washing the darn thing.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options
    the biggest question would be, do you want to track your sleep? if not, go for the Zip. if you want more tools go for the One or wait for the Flex to come out. I have the older Ultra and I love it.
  • lunameow
    lunameow Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I also love my Ultra, though I'm going to upgrade to a One at some point in the next couple of months (I do track my sleep, and I'd love to have an alarm on my wrist to wake me up at some point that's NOT in the middle of deep sleep). I had also thought about the Flex, but it doesn't appear to have an actual readout, just lights to sort of track progress, and then you have to go on the website or check the app to actually see steps, calories, etc. That, and my job has me at a keyboard all day, so I don't really like having anything on my wrists.
  • maegmez
    maegmez Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Out of curiosity, why do you want one if you already have a hrm that tracks your calories? I realise you have reward money but I would rather spend it on something more useful and not repetitive. I only say that because you already have a hrm.

I'm not saying dont buy it.....I'm just saying is it necessary? Not sure which hrm you have but the one I have has a pretty good algorithm for calculating calories. I have a well conditioned heart after all the exercising and now have a lower resting heart rate. That means that I have to work harder to get my heart rate up to have a bigger calorie burn. The fitbit would be useless to me because it will base the cals burned on height, weight, and gender, not taking into account my heart rate. I weigh 173.6 pounds but I burn the calories of a 150 pound woman.

Food for thought

No matter what I write here though, the ultimate choice is yours and you need to be happy with that choice. :)

All the best on your new journey!
  • Mandino788
    Mandino788 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Out of curiosity, why do you want one if you already have a hrm that tracks your calories? I realise you have reward money but I would rather spend it on something more useful and not repetitive. I only say that because you already have a hrm.

I'm not saying dont buy it.....I'm just saying is it necessary? Not sure which hrm you have but the one I have has a pretty good algorithm for calculating calories. I have a well conditioned heart after all the exercising and now have a lower resting heart rate. That means that I have to work harder to get my heart rate up to have a bigger calorie burn. The fitbit would be useless to me because it will base the cals burned on height, weight, and gender, not taking into account my heart rate. I weigh 173.6 pounds but I burn the calories of a 150 pound woman.

Food for thought

No matter what I write here though, the ultimate choice is yours and you need to be happy with that choice. :)

All the best on your new journey!

I want a pedometer that will calculate miles walked......and I like that it's pink lol
  • goldstargeek
    goldstargeek Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I use my HRM while doing crossfit or other exercise that may or may not include "steps"...weight lifting, swimming, etc. I have had two Fitbits...get one that will sync wireless. I'll probably upgrade to the wristband when it comes out because Im a gadget nut and think it would be interesting to accurately measure how much I sleep.
  • tami101
    tami101 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I am waiting for the new one to come out. The website keeps saying spring of 2013 so soon I hope. The only reason I am waiting is because the new one is a wrist band. I know if I buy the ones on the market today I will end up washing the darn thing.

I'm waiting for the new one to come out as well. For exactly the same reason! According to Amazon it is being released on May 1st.
  • mtfr810
    mtfr810 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I have a One and will not be getting the one coming out this spring. It has no displaying on it. Just a few LEDs showing a "graph" towards your goal. The One is very small and has a display so you can check calories, steps, etc in real time. That's much more valuable. The Zip is a lot bigger. I do track my sleep... though I didn't see that as a selling point. But it's kind of nice to have really.
  • vivaldirules
    vivaldirules Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I have had two fitbits (I shorted my original one by sweating on it and lost my Zip) and while I used them daily they really weren't worth the cost and bother. When I don't exercise, I'm pretty sedentary. So I know my calorie burn is low. When I exercise, I know when I'm doing it and so can easily estimate my calorie burn and this site helps me do that with ease. So the only thing the fitbit did for me was to reaffirm that when I'm not up moving about, I'm really not burning any calories. And passive calories are nice to see but they're not going to help me nearly as much as intentionally going for a brisk walk or running or some other exercise. I would think seriously about what you might learn from having one first.
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    Look into the Bpdymedia Fit too.
  • Karen918
    Karen918 Posts: 47 Member
    Options

This is exactly what happened to by zip. I washed and dryed it about 3 weeks ago. I loved it and found that checking how many steps I took each day was motivating to get me to move more. I think I will go for the new one when it comes out.
  • WAHMto5
    WAHMto5 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I am also waiting on the Flex, as I want to be able to wear it swimming as well.
  • amyniceneasy
    amyniceneasy Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I've had a fitbit for almost a year and a half. I love it. The info it gave me right from the beginning was what allowed me to know just how much I could eat and keep a reasonable deficit.
  • auntygill
    auntygill Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I have had the Ultra and loved it . and now i have the ONE and love it even more . i would reccomend to anyone .x