Breast feeding

Options
Hi sorry if I'm missing something obvious but how do I factor in breast feeding? How many extra calories do I allow?

Replies

• ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    From memory it's about 300-400.
  • claudublin
    claudublin Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I know it's only meant to be a small amount of calories, like described above, but I found I had to eat as much as 1000 extra calories and was still losing weight, it totally depends on your metabolism, and on how much your baby drinks! I wasn't exercising, but I think I was possibly under estimating my activity levels. I remember using MFP to try and gain weight, but had to eat a lot more or I was actually dropping.
    A great way to factor it in is to add each feed as an exercise (you can create personal exercises), and that way MFP will add the calories for you. also, as your child drinks more or you feed less you can adjust the 'feeding exercise' settings and frequency.
  • claudublin
    claudublin Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    PS I wonder how many calories does the average baby take in per day, or per feed, or per bottle of formula (adjusted to how much milk there would be taken from a breast feed), that should give you an idea of how many calories to add?
  • halimaiqbal00
    halimaiqbal00 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    You can search 'breast feeding' in the food database and it gives you a few options. My lo is 14 months md feeds 6x in 24 hr period as well as eating food so I'm allocated 300 extra calories
  • shivles
    shivles Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Under 6 months, 500, over 6 months (after starting solids) 300-400
  • drgnfly4
    drgnfly4 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    First, I'm a guy. So any ladies want to ignore what I have to say, you have that right. I'm certainly no expert.

I was however, raised by a mother who was not only a Bradley Natural Childbirth Instructor, but a Le Leche League Leader of many years. On top of that foundation I research every topic I can very carefully, and we have four children and my wife is currently breast feeding the newest arrival. So with that in mind here are my two uninvited cents...

No one said you were trying to lose any weight, and maybe you are trying to maintain. [So many reasons to use MFP.] If you are trying to lose, I would think that limiting junk food and excessive (Binge/Over) eating while getting regular moderate exercise is an awesome way to stay fit and trim down a little while breastfeeding, or start returning to your before pregnancy weight. After all nature intended the added calories of feeding and caring for your baby to help your body return to fitness. Or said backwards and perhaps more accurately; nature put those extra pounds on you during pregnancy so you could feed and care for your baby. However, hard dieting or restricting nutrient intake by creating a large calorie deficit would be dangerous. Because the baby's milk get's top priority and your body will get second dibs on any needed nutrients.

If you feel weak, tired, fatigued etc... this could be a sign you are not getting enough nutrients. (I am speaking of Micro-Nutrients like vitamins and Minerals, not Macro-Nutrients like Fats, Proteins and Carbohydrates; though that is also true it is less of an issue usually.) Veggie juicing at home or an organic plant based prenatal supplement will help. Krill Oil is a more bio-available way of getting sufficient Omega 3 Fatty Acids which are very key to baby's brain and nervous system development. Look for a cold fusion processed krill, not the cheaper heat treated ones. (And obviously getting enough fresh produce on a daily basis, and sufficient protein.) Being tired when you have a new baby is expected, so you should adjust your expectations of energy level for the sleep deprivation and recovery from having a baby and having been pregnant. That'll take it out of you! But if you are getting fair sleep, and are otherwise healthy but feeling really run down you may be short of some key nutrients.

Congratulations on the new baby! That's awesome!

<Sorry for butting in>