MFP cals v BMR-TDEE

Options
I joined MFP a few weeks ago now and was eating 1200 cals as MFP suggested. Lost 5lb in 2 wks. Then I read about BRM and TDEE which explained I wasn't eating enough. My bmr is 1600 and tdee 2405 so my tdee minus 20% is 1900 roughly. I felt that this was quite a leap for me so as it was advised that we should never eat below bmr in order for the body to burn fat more efficiently I decided to change my calories to 1600.

Basically since I upped my cals a few wks ago I have stayed the same weight. Unsure now if I should stick at 1600 cals hoping that it will just take a few weeks for my body to start burning fat again OR reduced back to 1200cals where I lost weight previously OR up my cals to the TDEE minus 20% amount??

I am 5ft 4 185lb and GW is 140lb. I have also been doing the 30 day shred every day for the last 28 days.

Any advice appreciated.

Replies

• sylv1979
    sylv1979 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Anyone in the know? Was told previously not to eat back my exercise cals as this is factored into BMR, TDEE so at a loss how I should continue?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    how long ago is a 'few' weeks ago?

if your BMR is 1600, then you arent eating enough if you exercise regularly.
  • sylv1979
    sylv1979 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Joined about 5 wks ago, used an app on my phone for the first few wks eating 1200 cals though. Was just confused over eating back exercise cals as was told this was factored into tdee but if I am eating my BMR only should I stick to 1600 on the days I don't work out and add my exercise cals onto the days I do work out then?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    if you use MFPs figures then eat back exercise calories (so 1200 & exercise) but make sure your activity level is correct as well.

if you work out TDEE, if you have included your exercise then TDEE -20% should work, alternatively you can do sedentary TDEE -20% and then eat exercise calories back.

personally i just use MFP and eat back exercise cals (though i have worked out TDEE and the figures are pretty much the same) but a lot of people use TDEE -20% with exercise included - but you have to exercsie regularly or you will be eating too much.

1600 will give you a rather large deficit - if you have less than 50lbs to lose, it may be too much of a deficit which will work against you. i would start again, and go with 1900 for 4-6 weeks and then reassess.