HRM, pulse monitors, and pedometers, oh my!

Options
I am thoroughly confused. Is a HRM the same as a pulse rate monitor and a pedometer? I am wondering if I want to wait for the Fitbit Flex to be released or if I want to just go ahead and buy the MyTrek training pulse rate monitor. If anyone knows the difference between the 3 options and can explain this to me I would be soooooooo grateful! I don't want to spend over $100 to be disappointed. The information online isn't very helpful :(

Replies

• jgcurry3
    jgcurry3 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    pulse rate and heart rate are the same thing many come with different features like monitoring as actual beats per minute or as a percentage of max heart rate and also some monitor calories burned. A pedometer is a device that counts your steps/strides to calculate distance/calories burned.
  • KeepCalmNGetyaSweatOn
    KeepCalmNGetyaSweatOn Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    pulse rate and heart rate are the same thing many come with different features like monitoring as actual beats per minute or as a percentage of max heart rate and also some monitor calories burned. A pedometer is a device that counts your steps/strides to calculate distance/calories burned.

jgcurry3: Thank you for answering! Since you know the difference between the options which one would you suggest to purchase? Anyone feel free to reply as I am open to all suggestions, advice, and mistakes you all have made when buying one of these gadgets!
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    HRM.. you can use it for cardio based exercises, including walking. It's a bit more accurate than relying on calculators, even pedometers.. it's rumoured that HRM that test your VO2max are the most accurate. pulse monitor I've never heard of..

I would invest in a HRM, over a pedometer.. I own both and the HRM is the most useful thing exercise wise I have invested in.
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    There's also the Bodymedia Fit which is to be worn all day and is supposed to be more accurate than a pedometer.
  • goldstargeek
    goldstargeek Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar H7 bluetooth Heartrate Monitor and use it with the DIGIFIT.com app. I use my heartrate monitor when doing activities like crossfit, swimming, weight lifting, etc. The digifit app shows how long you work in each of your heartrate zones and gives a fairly accurate calorie burn for the activity. It can also use GPS on your iphone/android to map your route if you are a runner.

I also have a fitbit pedometer. I wear this to make sure Im hitting my 10,000 step a day goal outside of my 'exercise hour'. I think the new one coming out that monitors sleep looks interesting.

A pedometer is pretty useless for certain exercise burn measurement. Crossfit may be a day where we lift weights, do pull ups and squats...the pedometer might pick up nothing calorie wise - a heart rate monitor would show that I typically burn 600 calories in an hour of cross fit. I use my pedometer to just measure how much walking I do during my non-exercise hours...where my heartrate stays pretty much the same. Im a gadget geek so I like to have both because they really do meet different purposes.
  • KeepCalmNGetyaSweatOn
    KeepCalmNGetyaSweatOn Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your responses!!!!!!

I'm pretty sure I'm going to go for a heart rate/pulse rate monitor (now that I know the difference!) If I am not mistaken there are apps that can work as a pedometer right? I would rather spend the money and get something for when I do Zumba, go hiking, work out with my trainer, use the elliptical, etc etc to find out REALLY how many calories I am really burning as opposed to guessing. I think not knowing is hindering me from reaching my goals :( Goldstargeek: Does your Polar H7 use a chest strap? That's kind of why I am interested in a pulse rate monitor is that you don't need one with that device. Do you like the Polar H7?
  • goldstargeek
    goldstargeek Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    It does in fact use the chest strap...I am a woman and it sits just below the bottom of my bra. To be honest I do not feel it. It must be snug but not cut-you-in-half tight to work. I use it with digifit.com ....that app will also allow you to use your phone's GPS to track distance and map your jogging/hiking routes.
    Digifit is compatible with the following http://new.digifit.com/shop/heartratemonitors.asp There is a HRM that is worn on the wrist. I have never used this kind so I cant comment on it. I will say the Polar products also bluetooth connect to gym equipment like treadmills and elliptics so your information displays right on the machine screen.
    Digifit also connects directly to Myfitnesspal and Fitbit apps if you use them too.

I love my Polar H7. It is my 3rd Polar product. None of them have broken but as they have continued to make new and more awesome products I have upgraded and passed along my old stuff to family/friends.
  • jgcurry3
    jgcurry3 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I use a Polar HRM. Like goldstargeek said you dont even notice the strap. I use mine during crossfit, trail running, and resistance training and have eally enjoyed it. You dont need to go all out when you get one, one of my favorite features on mine is that it will show my heart rate as a percentage of my max HR.