Want to start lifting weight, but have a problem.

Options
I want to start lifting weights, but have a problem. The closest gym is >30 miles away, so it really isn't an option to drive there daily. So what is the minimum equipment I need to get started. I can add to it as necessary, but don't really have the money to buy it all at one time, if you understand where I'm coming from. I have plenty of space for it.

I would like to start at light weight, and work my way (form and fitness) up to heavy lifting. So any personal trainers or people with experience in this, I need your advice here. Also, just FYI for me 20 lbs is about as light as I would go for dumbbells.

Replies

• jalloggio
    jalloggio Posts: 141
    Options
    First you will need lighter dumbbells if your going to train every muscle group properly. I use 10 and 15 depending on what set and muscle group I'm on.

Walmart has some pretty good deals it is expensive to buy the hex dumbbells individually. They sell ones you can break down add and take weight off its more time consuming but that's what I did when I started.

Once you have the dumbbells you need you can start with simple weight training programs that utilize just dumbbells I have beginner workouts on my website for clients. In fact I recently just added a full program that is geared. Towards starters and utilizes just dumbbells. It's a food program if you want more info just pm me and I can send you my website :)
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Start with plate loadable dumbbells & some plates, then work your way to a bench, rack and Oly bar.
  • KirstenTheFamilyCoach
    KirstenTheFamilyCoach Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    check your local Goodwill or second hand store. I found a set of 15 pounders for $3 and a pair of 5 poounders fo $5.
  • RedneckMomma77
    RedneckMomma77 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I considered the 10-15 lb weights at first, but thought that with all the weight that I'm used to dealing with, those might be too low. But if that is what's recommended, those are the ones I'll start with.
  • RedneckMomma77
    RedneckMomma77 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • halleymw
    halleymw Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I think the best thing to do would be to try them out before you buy them. Go to the local gym as a potential customer, and do a workout with the different weights, see how much you can comfortably lift doing the exercises you plan to do.
    Mike
  • Fill two backpacks with books or even sand and you can do a lot of different exercises and adjust the weight as needed.
    When I am deployed and are no where near a gym I fill different things with Dirt and do our redneck workouts or as my last Master Chief use to call it, his barnyard workout.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    I considered the 10-15 lb weights at first, but thought that with all the weight that I'm used to dealing with, those might be too low. But if that is what's recommended, those are the ones I'll start with.

Depends on what you are going to be doing to be honest.

I do stronglift 5x5 at home, and for that you need a barbell and varying weight plates. The starting weight is 45lb.

Do you think it will be worth buying low weight dumbells if you are going to outgrow them very quickly?
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    Check craigslist. Most times you can pick up everything you need for pennies on the dollar, then research beginner lifting programs.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    http://www.rosstraining.com/nevergymless.html

(In the event your goals are simply to retain lean mass, look good, have enough strength for day to day life as opposed to competing in power lifting for example! You don't need to traditional barbell training to achieve those goals if you don't want to...)
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    Dumbells are completely unnecessary if you can throw out a couple of hundred bucks to start. I'd peruse Craigslist and look for an Olympic barbell set. Then eventually you will want to make (plenty of DIY plans on the web) or buy a power rack. At some point you'll need a bench.

That's it!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    you can always start with bodyweight stuff while you save some pennies?

press ups, planks, squats & lunges are all really effective!
  • mikejholmes
    mikejholmes Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Dumbells are completely unnecessary if you can throw out a couple of hundred bucks to start. I'd peruse Craigslist and look for an Olympic barbell set. Then eventually you will want to make (plenty of DIY plans on the web) or buy a power rack. At some point you'll need a bench.

That's it!

^ This.
    Stronglifts 5x5
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Depending on budget, priority for me would be...

> Barbell
    > Some plates
    > Squat Rack
    > Free bench
    > More plates
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    you can always start with bodyweight stuff while you save some pennies?

press ups, planks, squats & lunges are all really effective!

What about' You are your own gym'. It's a bodyweight book and app.
  • bethira
    bethira Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I definitely agree with the folks mentioning Craigslist. A lot of people go all out, buy really expensive weight sets that get used like crazy for two weeks and then gather dust for the next two years.

And because it's my personal favorite, check out Body Pump on You Tube. Body Pump uses relatively light weights (my max right now is 20 lbs) in high repetitions and works every muscle group. With a set of 5, 7.5 and 10 lb plates a bar and two sets of hand weights, you can do pretty much any of the exercises. If you do decide to go this direction, pay close attention to form. Correct form will give you nearly instant results (I saw a change in my body after just 2 or 3 one hour classes).
  • MelStren
    MelStren Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. It's an hour drive one way to the nearest gym for me. I started with light dumbells and purchased my first barbell and plates just last week!