Lost 3 stone since xmas now stuck, can anyone help?

Options
I am a 18st guy who has lost 3 stone since xmas eating more healthy at around 1500 calories and trying to walk for 3 miles 3 -4 times a week.

I have a none active job I am a web designer and work from home so sat down most of day.

I have come to a stop and can't get below 18st and I have started doing a 2 week 1200 calorie plan with my wife to try kickstart again but is this too low.

My usual day plan is
Breakfast:
1 x Banana
1 x Toasted thin with light marg
1 x Cup tea - 2 sugars - skimmed milk

Lunch:
1 x Heinz Soup
1 x Warburtons thin

Dinner:
Ham, boiled potatoes, mixed veg, gravy

Supper:
2 x Choc Biscuits

All comes to 1200 calories.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    eat more!

dont follow that 1200 cal plan, its awful!

loads more protein and loads more fruit and veg!
  • traceyfunk
    Options
    Definitely add more bright coloured and green non-starchy vegetables! You'll still be under your 1500 but you will have the nutrition your body needs.
  • EstherZue
    EstherZue Posts: 39
    Options
    Yes, definitely eat more. But eat better also. Instead of the Heinz soup, cook some tomatoes and bell peppers and puree them with a stand mixer. Exchange the sugar pieces in your tea with honey or stevia sweetener. Instead of the Wharburtons have some proper wholewheat bread, with cheese and turkey breast and some nuts, covered in chocolate if you want.

Apart from the banana and the "mixed veg" for dinner you have no nutrition in your diet :noway:
  • Dunkirk
    Dunkirk Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Can you alter your work space so you can stand up while working? As well as what others said on your nutrition.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    That is not a lot of food for a man. And what you are eating is a lot of sugar and sodium.

Trying upping your calorie intake. I'm a 17 and a half stone woman and I eat 1850 cals a day. Read this thread:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912920-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013?hl=road+map+2013

Also, you need to evaluate your diet. More protein, more fruit, more veg, less processed rubbish. I'm not a fan of 'clean' eating, but you could certainly make adjustments. You'd feel much better for it.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Buy a recipe book and learn to cook - your menu is dreadful and almost devoid of nutrition!
    And 1200 calories for a big guy is crazy.

Learn to cook some proper food in small portions and you will both lose weight and get healthy.

Hairy Bikers have a low calorie cook book out, The Hairy Dieters: How to Love Food and Lose Weight.
  • lagringaloca1
    lagringaloca1 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Lose the potatoes and bread (unless the bread is 100% whole grain). For now stay away from any kind of white starches. Eat more GREEN vegetables and salad. Lose the canned soup, its most likely high in sodium, causing you to retain water. For protein choose chicken or turkey breasts, and use FRESH veggies over frozen or canned. Try walking an hour EVERY day real early in the morning (start just before sunrise), and when you can take a half hour or 45 mn walk after dinner every night.
  • Fairlieboy
    Fairlieboy Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Move to the 5+2 plan. Check out the group on MFP. Provides that higher protein. Download these 2 books from Amazon. Eat Fast diet from Michael Mosley & Mimi Spenser. Also check out David Gillespie with Sweet Poison. That will put you right off sucrose & fructose.
    If you use uncle Google you can pick up lots of interviews for these 2 groups. Both of these are science based health programs. Not diets. Loosing weight is a side effect. Not the purpose.
  • gatestar
    gatestar Posts: 5
    Options
    I thought my diet was not too bad.

I cook my Dinner, I have mixed veg and green beans.

I know I have Heinz soup I was thinking of cooking my own soup.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    I thought my diet was not too bad.

I cook my Dinner, I have mixed veg and green beans.

I know I have Heinz soup I was thinking of cooking my own soup.

its not too bad, but it could be a lot better!

plus you dont have to starve to lose weight. given your size you could easily lose on 16-1800 cals per day.
  • MsPudding
    MsPudding Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Hairy Bikers have a low calorie cook book out, The Hairy Dieters: How to Love Food and Lose Weight.

I love that book! Sure, if you cook a lot then some of the recipes are a bit basic ... however having all the calorie work done for you is gold.
  • xampx
    xampx Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Eat a lot more. I would guess at around 1800 daily with the occasional 2000-2200 day.

Also, eat a lot more protein, and eat ANY soup other than canned. I used to eat a can of Heinz tomato soup every day for lunch, but then I actually read the contents!
    Now I either make my own, or buy 2 serving cartons from the supermarket. I check to see which has the least salt and calories and highest protein, and if the protein is rubbish, I have some meat or fish or cottage cheese with it.

I eat 1400-1800 a day and I am a 5ft 4 female who weighs 203lbs (14 1/2 stone) and I lose weight! My diary is open to friends.

(Also, warburton thins are pretty much empty calories - I used to have them too! These days I don't even bother with bread, high protein food fills me up enough to not crave carbs. And try to gradually cut down the sugar in your drinks, 1/2 a tsp a fortnight)

Good luck
  • gatestar
    Options
    It's strange because MFP put me on 1500 calories and I have been doing that for a while.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    It's strange because MFP put me on 1500 calories and I have been doing that for a while.

and you said you stopped losing on 1500... i know it sounds wrong but eating MORE will probably help you lose more!

i presume that you have MFP set to lose 2lb per week?

change that to lose 1.5lb and eat NET that amount and see how you get on.
  • LadyPakal
    LadyPakal Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Here's the rule of thumb I've been working with, when it comes to setting desired weekly loss:

If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal, 
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal, 
    If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal, 

Loss has slowed, yes - that is inevitable as you get closer to goal - but is now 1 lb/wk (if I average it out).
    So far, touch wood, I have not plateaued or stalled. Oh, and I have a desk job.

I have my macros set to 40% carb & 30 % fat & protein. Don't always meet them, some days have more fat, some days have more carb but I try and meet the protein level. Not a huge amount of exercise, although I have started to cycle to work now - 5 miles a day.

You need to revisit your initial settings regularly and re-jig a bit as you lose weight - there is no way you'll lose at the same rate as you did in the beginning.
  • gatestar
    Options
    Want to lower my carbs and have more fruit, but banana seem to be high in carbs any suggestions?
  • maegmez
    maegmez Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Harry dieters book isn't that great, I wouldn't buy it again. The ingredients can be pricey and they are very time consuming. There are much better and easier recipes out there.

I prepared 6 or 7 of them
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    3 stone in 3 months is a HUGE amount of weight. Your body is probably just needing time to re-evaluate. If you're sure your portions haven't been creeping up I should stick with what you were doing for a while longer and maybe throw in a different sort of exercise just to shake up your system. 1200 is definitely not going to help you keep your metabolism high and you'll struggle to get all the nutrition you need if you were to do it long term.
  • LadyPakal
    LadyPakal Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    All fruit is carby - that's the nature of them - try berries as they are somewhat lower, blueberries for example are good with porridge. Bananas are good fruits to eat though as they are more filling and potassium rich.

I love cherry tomatoes as a snack.