"Water" intake

Options
rymattsmom
rymattsmom Posts: 369 Member
So, when we are supposed to drink at least 8 glasses of water a day, do you all count the vitamin zero calorie waters and what about unsweetened ice tea? can i count that?

Replies

• jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    ITs really liquids, I would count them, the thing going for you is that you eat food and you get a lot of water from your food too
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    If I poured water to make it, I count it. And it's not 8 glasses a day. That's just a suggestion. Drinking half of one's body weight in ounces is better (if you weigh 200 lbs, drink 100 oz)
  • Ms_Natalie
    Ms_Natalie Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Many people suggest that you should count ONLY water for your water intake...water is the key element your body uses and it is therefore needed in its purest form to be totally beneficial for your health and weight loss.

I drink about 5 - 6 pints a day, especially when it is very warm and I have been exercising.

I didn't use to drink enough water, but now I am in the habit of doing it...I easily reach my target every day :flowerforyou:
  • Clew
    Clew Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    Drinking half of one's body weight in ounces is better (if you weigh 200 lbs, drink 100 oz)

I try to use this formula as well. It makes sense ... after all, 8 glasses of water for a 150 pound person and 8 glasses of water for a 300 pound person is quite a different level of saturation!
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I don't count tea, coffee, etc because they're considered diurectics and (even though they're made with water) actually take water away from your body. So I only count the actual water I drink (not eat), and yes I include it if I had a crystal light packet :) I also go by the "half your body weight in ounces" and increase that amount if I work out or have excess sodium.
  • sbarham
    sbarham Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I count only the water I drink, and other calorie-free liquids I keeps track of under the snack category. I consider they mean a cup as 8 oz, so 1 bottle of water I count as 2 glasses (16.9 oz). I just do this because drinking a good amount of "just water" is essential for me to lose weight and stay hydrated. I can rationalize every drink that has water in it, count it as water, and never actually drink just water. LOL Anyway, it's whatever works for you, but the more plain water we consume, the better! Good luck!
  • onyxlibra7
    onyxlibra7 Posts: 93
    Options
    Drinking half of one's body weight in ounces is better (if you weigh 200 lbs, drink 100 oz)

I try to use this formula as well. It makes sense ... after all, 8 glasses of water for a 150 pound person and 8 glasses of water for a 300 pound person is quite a different level of saturation!

LMAO!!
  • sweetcyanide
    sweetcyanide Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    i certainly count them lol. i don't like to drink just water.
  • sabrinafaith
    sabrinafaith Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I only count actual water unless I'm sick and drinking a lot of herbal tea.

I usually have 8 oz only on days I don't work out. On days that I run, I drink about 12 glasses of water, which is approximately 96 oz of water.

Sometimes when I have the munchies I realize I haven't had water in a few hours and I have a glass and find that I no longer want food. Its very important to learn to distinguish hunger from thirst.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    I don't count tea, coffee, etc because they're considered diurectics and (even though they're made with water) actually take water away from your body. So I only count the actual water I drink (not eat), and yes I include it if I had a crystal light packet :) I also go by the "half your body weight in ounces" and increase that amount if I work out or have excess sodium.

According to the Mayo Clinic, caffeine isn't diuretic unless you drink more than 500-600 mg of it a day. This is 4-7 cups of coffee, depending on the type of coffee. (http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/caffeinated-drinks/AN01661 ) Tea has even less caffeine than coffee. As long as you are drinking only a few cups of coffee and a moderate amount of tea, you should be fine to count tea and coffee as water. Keep in mind that most coffee/drinking cups are more than 8 oz, so be careful!
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    Sometimes when I have the munchies I realize I haven't had water in a few hours and I have a glass and find that I no longer want food. Its very important to learn to distinguish hunger from thirst.

a very important, excellent point.