Share your top tips for eating out & staying on track

Options
We all need to do it, at least sometimes, and if we want to. Keep the weight off, we need to have long term strategies for eating out without going mad!

So, let's all share our top tips, so we all have something to read through & refer back to before venturing out..........

Replies

• Chocoholic55555
    Chocoholic55555 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I'll start....

Plan before you go. Most places will have their menu online, some of which will also contain nutritional information, so take a look before you go. Just don't forget to politely take a menu and glance over it when you get there, (the rest of your dining party can just think that you're a really quick decision maker, they need never know you've been debating your food choices in advance).
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    eat fruits and vegetables and high protein foods like shrimp.......I mean just go for the shrimp.
  • kbeech06
    kbeech06 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I also check out the online menus and nutrition info online if its available. If its not, I use my common sense to order something lower in fat and calories. I try to avoid sauces and fried things. If I was in the States, I would probably split my meal in half and bring the leftovers home in a doggie bag but they don't seem to do that here in the UK and I think if I asked they would think I'm crazy.
  • LesaLu4
    LesaLu4 Posts: 83
    Options
    bump
  • ctalimenti
    ctalimenti Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    If you know in advance you are going to be eating out, limit your caloric intake a few hundred cals in the days proceeding.

I am about in maintenance mode and found a strategy that works. I know I burn 1600 cals/day. Monday thru Friday I eat 1300 so that I can goof off a little on the weekends and not feel bad about it. It works every time.
  • Chocoholic55555
    Options
    Remember that you don't have to clear your plate! If the portion looks too big, eat what you need from it and leave e rest. Place your napkin over it when you're done to stop yourself picking at the left overs before its cleared.
  • xbleedingxglitterx
    Options
    When I eat out, I ALWAYS check online for the menu first. I plan my meals before I leave the house. When I order, I always get water to drink and if I order something "bad", I never get dessert afterwards. I ask for my dressing on the side if I get a salad of any kind. On the rare occasion that I do get dessert, I split it with my husband :)
  • leahshepherd
    leahshepherd Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Check online first... but if that is a no go... or everything is massively calorific then I just go for the non--creamiest, non fried-est thing on the menu, or salad without dressing (yes I am that person). I have also claimed to be lactose intolerant so that I could get pizza without cheese ... hehehe.
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    Just make healthy choices and only eat until you're full.

It takes discipline! There's no magical technique.
  • favreervaf
    favreervaf Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Things that I do are take notice to the little things: ask for no mayonaise on something. 1 Tbsp can be 100 calories or more. Ask for no cheese on things, cheese is full of saturated fats and is calorically dense. Instead of french fries, most places have substitutes like steamed veggies, etc. And as always, watch the liquid calories, water only. No need to fill up on sugary drinks that subsequently spike your insulin and causes other metabolic issues like high glycemic index issues.
  • Raeambi
    Raeambi Posts: 13
    Options
    Honestly the advice I can give you is to not restrict yourself too much on your meal choice. A lot of eating is psychological, and if you choose something, say a salad as you feel its better well in your head it can lead to you overthinking it and then you don't feel full or satisfied. I would choose something that is healthy, lower in fat but that you actually want to eat. If you don't want to eat the healthiest, lowest in fat meal on the menu then simply don't. Only pick something you actually would like.

Also stop eating when you are satisfied. Eat slowly, chew your food properly, actually taste your food rather than just chew and swallow, take sips of water in between and put your fork down every couple of forkfuls. This will all help your body realise when it has enough quicker.

Oh and then of course track it. Track EVERYTHING! If you do go up going over maybe go for a walk that night or you can always go to the gym the next day to make up for it.
  • Aymzc
    Aymzc Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I would normally order a jacket potato instead of fries. Anything thats grilled. If at an italian something with tomato based sauce rather than cream.
    If I have pizza I almost always have a veggie one rather than meat sometimes one with chicken.Most places now are doing much more healthy options and its great when they give you the cal content.
  • Kifissia
    Kifissia Posts: 136
    Options
    I too check online before I go. If I know I'm going somewhere, I eat less during the week. I avoid the usual stuff, but sometimes I really want that creamy, cheesy high calorie meal. When I order something I ask them to bring a 'To go' container too. Once my meal arrives, I immediately put 1/2 or 2/3 of my meal in the 'To Go' container for the next day or two. What I've noticed lately is for some places, the left overs don't taste as good.
  • ashvicfran
    ashvicfran Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Always check the menu onlline. Make conscious choices and DO NOT be afraid to ask the server questions on how the food is prepared and make substitutions if necessary!
  • RHSheetz
    RHSheetz Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Oh Hang... I do not try to be polite about it, I look up the menu options in MFP while sitting at the table and tell every one "Can you believe that xxxxx has 1200 Calories!"

I ask for Broiled Items without Butter, Salad Dressings, Sauces, Graveys on the side. I do not order a startch, I ask what is on the salad and kick off anything that is not good for you.

I am really a pain when I go to a resturant, which I do 6 days a week.
  • Chocoholic55555
    Options
    :wink: A good tip is to remember that some "healthy" options are not low in calories. Some salads covered in croutons & dressings can clock up more calories than a "normal" choice like spaghetti bolognese. Be aware of this!
  • Xerxes03
    Xerxes03 Posts: 1
    Options
    If you're eating at a restaurant known for larger portions, ask for a to-go box at the START of the meal. Immediately put half of everything in the box and close the lid. Out of sight, out of mind. And you have another meal for another day.