hungry after diner and no calories left! what to do?

Options
Hi all, What are your tricks when you have no calories left and you are hungry after dinner? really hungry!

Replies

• majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    Eat. If it's a one-time thing, going over your calories by a few hundred isn't going to have much effect in the long run. If it happens all the time, re-evaluate your goals--chances are your calories are set too low.
  • RHSheetz
    RHSheetz Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Well, I could not see your Food Diary, so I am shooting in the dark... BUT...

1. Make sure that the food you are eating now is Nutrient Rich and Calorie Poor
    2. If you are hungry and you are truly "out" of Calories you have a few options. I would got for veggies (Celery, Green Peppers, Brocolli, Cauliflower) they are LOW in Calories and High in Fiber which helps you get full and stay full. You could make a Nice Sized Salad, and use Viniger for a dressing.

I usually have the oposite problem, because I eat Nutrient Rich, Calorie poor foods, I have a LOT of Calories left over at the end of the day.
  • vlvaldes
    vlvaldes Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    drink a TALL glass of water, eat a small piece of chicken or lean meat (1-2 oz), and whatever green veggie you can find, raw or steamed, followed by another TALL glass of water. Ignoring my hunger leads me to binge and regret, so I've learned to eat a little bit when my body asks, and do some extra pushups or situps to burn the handful of calories in the veggies (or march in place during commercials in my favorite shows)
  • pennydreadful270
    pennydreadful270 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    How about some nice dust?
  • katedevall
    katedevall Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    1) drink water (fills you up)
    2) exercise more, you now have "extra" calories and gives you more to work with for the after dinner snacks
  • LittleMissDover
    LittleMissDover Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    If I'm really struggling I'll 'borrow' some from the next day as weekly intake is what matters. I rarely find myself in this position though as I plan ahead and always make sure I have room for a 100 cal snack at least in the evening.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Have a piece of fruit and plan better for tomorrow.
  • carolose46
    carolose46 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Well, I could not see your Food Diary, so I am shooting in the dark... BUT...

1. Make sure that the food you are eating now is Nutrient Rich and Calorie Poor
    2. If you are hungry and you are truly "out" of Calories you have a few options. I would got for veggies (Celery, Green Peppers, Brocolli, Cauliflower) they are LOW in Calories and High in Fiber which helps you get full and stay full. You could make a Nice Sized Salad, and use Viniger for a dressing.

I usually have the oposite problem, because I eat Nutrient Rich, Calorie poor foods, I have a LOT of Calories left over at the end of the day.

I agree, last night I had 130 grams of pork filet with 1.5 cup of brocoli rabe, a banana and a kiwi. I had exerciced just before dinner.
    It happens also when I eat fish.
    Is it possible that some food or food combinations take less time to digest and you feel hungry right away?
  • nornyb
    nornyb Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Take a 30 minute walk.....it will earn you some extra calories and you might not want to eat when you are done.
  • favreervaf
    favreervaf Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Don't eat, or drink water. Eventually you wont be hungry anymore, or go to sleep.
  • carolose46
    carolose46 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Thank you all, I will try your tricks! have a nice day!
    :flowerforyou:
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    If I am actually hungry and not just bored or thirsty I will have something like air popped popcorn... or a big salad (very few calories for what you get). I also make bean sprouts at home and snack on those if I'm still hungry as they are low cal.

If I am "hungry" because I just want to snack I throw some ripped up kale or spinach onto a cookie sheet, spray lightly with oil, add some spices and pop in the oven for a few minutes to make chips. You can have a lot of these without many calories.

Or I will go take a walk. Light exercise curbs my hunger and exercising will give you calories for a snack.

For the future, always make sure your meals are good meals along with good snacks. Fill up on protein, fiber, water and healthy fats so you stay full for longer.

Or, have a healthy snack/meal tonight while you are hungry and get some extra exercise in tomorrow to off set it. I look at my calories over the week so sometimes I borrow from the next day or the day before.
  • ashvicfran
    ashvicfran Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    You ate dinner, then exercised & did not eat after your workout? if so, the most important thing to do is to eat after your workout! it refuels your body! This is Key
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Strap on the GPS, and take fido for a vigorous 1 hour walk, come back and you'll have 300 calories to play with.
  • Rowan813
    Rowan813 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I ask myself if I am hungry enough to eat veggies. If the answer is "no" I don't eat. If the answer is"yes" I eat some veggies. I agree with looking at what you had all day. Be sure you get enough protein during the day.
  • bekeyers
    bekeyers Posts: 18
    Options
    I ask myself if I am hungry enough to eat veggies. If the answer is "no" I don't eat. If the answer is"yes" I eat some veggies. I agree with looking at what you had all day. Be sure you get enough protein during the day.

This is a really good idea, thank you :)

I've been following your progress and you do so well I'm sure it would be a once off thing and you would be fine to eat a little something. I too make sure I have calories left at the end of the day because I know this is the time I am most likely to want that snack.