What do you think of my fitness routine?

Options
Hi! Hoping I could get some fresh perspectives of the fitness plan I wrote up for myself over the weekend. This is to take me up til' mid June (the C25K I'm using actually takes 9 weeks and I will complete it..so longer for that one!)

Mon: 30 Day Shred followed by the 30 Day Squat Challenge
Tues: C25K & 30DSC
Wed: 30DS & 30DSC
Thurs: C25K & 30DSC
Fri: Rest & 30DSC
Sat: Rest
Sun: C25K, 30DS & 30DSC

Once I've completed the 30DS I'll be moving on to Ripped in 30.

I'm looking to shift thigh and tummy weight mainly, and build muscle in my stomach, legs and arms. All opinions welcome :) thanks!

Replies

• stewarac
    stewarac Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Awesome Routine! I'm doing the 30DS and then moving onto the Ripped in 30, and was thinking of incorporating some of the running into my routine and your plan looks like the perfect way! I assume your C25K is interval training? And hi :)
  • selina884
    selina884 Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    You will probably get exhausted soon enough.

I would add 2 full rest days. (1 during the week and 1 on a weekend)
  • nornyb
    nornyb Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    It looks pretty challenging, but you should know your body and if you can handle it. Question about the use of the term "shift" for weight, is that a British way of saying lose? Over here that would mean "move around", and we know you can't do that.
  • Katieloula
    Options
    It looks pretty challenging, but you should know your body and if you can handle it. Question about the use of the term "shift" for weight, is that a British way of saying lose? Over here that would mean "move around", and we know you can't do that.

Hi! Yes shift is a Brit term for lose :)
  • Katieloula
    Options
    Hey :)

Yes it's interval training - I always hated running because I never appreciated the effect of a good sports bra! So now I'm kitted out I've been running/jumping a lot more and thought C25K would be perfect for building my endurance over time,

I have the Get Running (C25K) app on my phone which I'll be following - it gives you audio instructions when to walk, and then when to run again and so on.. plus you can play your music over it too!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    It's very cardio heavy, which is fine if you have cardio specific goals. Based on your post, I'd replace one fo the cardio programs with some type of strength/resistance training where you're using heavier weight/resistance and doing fewer reps.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    It's very cardio heavy, which is fine if you have cardio specific goals. Based on your post, I'd replace one fo the cardio programs with some type of strength/resistance training where you're using heavier weight/resistance and doing fewer reps.

I agree with this, heck I might even say replace two. Perhaps put in a lifting program instead of 30DS.
  • tinabatinaflc
    Options

^this

i'd replace like 3 of the cardio days with a strength program. it definitely looks like a good cardio heavy routine though if thats what your after! i firmly believe that strength training with heavy weights is THE BEST way to lose fat though! good luck, let us know how you!

<3c
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I think it's cardio on top of cardio and you should work some form of strength training in there
  • Katieloula
    Options
    I think it's cardio on top of cardio and you should work some form of strength training in there

Thanks for all your advice! Are there any specific strength dvds that you'd recommend? The gym is miles from me so that isn't an option :(
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    I don't get how you can rest and still work out on the same day.
  • Warchortle
    Options

Thanks for all your advice! Are there any specific strength dvds that you'd recommend? The gym is miles from me so that isn't an option :(
    A push up is strength training.
  • Katieloula
    Options

I don't really see doing squats as a big exercise, 100 only takes me about 5 minutes.
  • stoverk2
    stoverk2 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Are there any specific strength dvds that you'd recommend?

I just finished 90 days with a modified version of ChaLean Extreme and got great results. I wasn't entirely satisfied with her cardio, so I did only the "circuit videos" (3 a week) and did Insanity workouts or went running 3 days a week, with one rest day. ChaLean is also available for download if you can't afford the purchase price. I recommend having weights from 5-25 lbs for the program - your strength will improve quickly!
  • jamers3111
    jamers3111 Posts: 495 Member
    Options

30 Day Shred is HIIT, so she will be incorporating some strength training. But I agree, once your body gets used to this you may need to do more/heavier lifting :) Regardless, just have fun and listen to your body.
  • jaznon
    jaznon Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I have done Ripped In 30 a couple of times. I haven't done the 2nd level for some reason (?). But I just watched the first week of 30 day shred. The two videos seem VERY similar. There are a couple of the same exercises. Just my opinion. I am still going to take the 30 Day Shred challenge though!
  • Katieloula
    Options
    I just finished 90 days with a modified version of ChaLean Extreme and got great results. I wasn't entirely satisfied with her cardio, so I did only the "circuit videos" (3 a week) and did Insanity workouts or went running 3 days a week, with one rest day. ChaLean is also available for download if you can't afford the purchase price. I recommend having weights from 5-25 lbs for the program - your strength will improve quickly!

Thank you I'll definitely look it up :)
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    try You Are Your Own Gym for some bodyweight resistance routines. I believe there's an app that's cheap as well
  • Warchortle
    Options

I don't really see doing squats as a big exercise, 100 only takes me about 5 minutes.
    Then you don't understand what a rest day is.
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    i agree with needing more strength work. whatever changes you make, you need more variety.
    doing the same 2 dvd's for 2-3 months sounds extremely boring. you would get more out of your money by buying
    some weights to make the body weight squats more challenging.

squats are a 'big' exercise they use almost every muscle in your body. doing them slowly also makes them harder.
    try different versions. 1 leg, split squats, sumo, they work the muscles in different ways.