Help for a picky eater?

sherrie8929
sherrie8929 Posts: 38 Member
edited September 21 in Recipes
First, let me say that I'm new to this website but especially new to the boards and I am just beside myself with how helpful everyone is! I've noticed this just reading through posts and am excited to be a part of the forum.

Ok here's my problem: I'm a boring, picky eater. I am a decent cook, but generally cook for one and don't like to cook very difficult meals. I find myself turning to the normal, run of the mill meals that I am sick of, such as spaghetti, tacos, fajitas, baked chicken/pork chops, and miscellaneous sides.

I don't eat any seafood at all. None. It just plain grosses me out. I'm picky when it comes to veggies, but love broccoli, sugar snap peas, peppers, onions, zucchini and corn. I love all fruits just about, and all meat aside from seafood.

I'm willing to branch out of my comfort zone to try some new things, such as asparagus or different sauces, etc., but I have NO idea where to start! Any help for a simple, picky gal?

Replies

• Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    I am a pickey eater too. I don't really care for fish and I live in the desert so it is tough to get anyway. Recently I picked up a kids cookbook meant for kids to be able to cook things for them selves. This is great. The recipies are fun, take little time and have only basic ingredients I love. I got it at Borders Book store. Maybe something like that would help you.
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Stir fries! Easy, quick and can incorporate all the things you like, try adding interesting sauces to try something different. :)
  • sherrie8929
    I do love a good stir fry! It's been so long since I've made one that I forgot about them! Any ideas or tips for sauces?
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    I use low fat italin dressing.
  • sherrie8929
    Hmm that might work... or a sundried tomato and raosted red pepper vinaigrette...

Thanks for the suggestion for kid recipes! Never thought about that.
  • amy1612
    I loove oyster sauce,very low in calories, also light cocnut milk with a little of (any kind) or curry paste is nice :)
  • sherrie8929
    See that's where the pickiness comes in... no oysters, no coconut, no curry... LOL
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Take a look at my food diary if you want to. You'll have to go back a month to find a lot (I was gone from mpf for a while). Remember that you have to try something at least 12 times in order to aquire a taste for it.
    Also, there is a vegetarian oyster sauce avilable which uses mushrooms instead of oysters.
  • amy1612
    It doesnt taste or look like oysters, :)
    Its true that you can make yourself like things, so far in the past few months Ive added bananas and olives to my list of favourites from hating them, simply by eating them so much that I started to love them,
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    there are so many options but here are a couple that may give you some ideas.

marinate chicken in a cup of buttermilk and a teaspoon of rosemary in the fridge overnight. I grill this and eat it hot with brown rice, cold on salad or in a sandwich.

hoisin sauce is a great marinade for beef and pork, great for stir fry or to grill. I like to make beef kabobs with lots of veggies for this one.

I use a lot of beans if you want any of those let me know, I have a great chick pea and tomato salad with feta cheese and you can eat it cold or hot and I usually eat it in a pita or on greens.
This discussion has been closed.