I think I can, I think I can, I think I can.... I know I can

Options
I just turned thirty although I dont care about the number really. It did however put my life in perspective. I am the mother of three boys 6, 2 and 1. Turning thirty made me realize that I have a lot of life left to live and I want to be able to expericene it to the fullest.

My story starts like many of yours I was heavy as a child. Most of my family where and still are heavy. It wasn't until I was in my teens that I even realized that I was fat. I met my husband and he made me feel beautiful. I almost forgot at some points that I was even heavy until I went to shop for a wedding gown. I slowly have just gained more and more weight not even realizing just how big I was getting until one day..... Our family had gone on a heart walk in honor of my father who died at a very early age of heart failure and his father as well. My aunt who has just lost over 100 pounds and others in my family have lost alot of weight. I feel like the odd man out all of a sudden. We all took pictures together in pink shirts. My aunt posted them on Face book... i had to look twice. I was the size of two of them. I spent twenty minutes just sitting there thinking about how i had gotten to where i was. Beating my self up and feeling bad for my children and husband who didn't ask for a unhealthy mate or mother. It was like the flood gates of reality had washed over me. All I could think about was all the times that I didn't do what I wanted because of my weight. All the experiences I have missed out on. Dont get me wrong I do alot of things but I have learned to improvise, settle change things to fit me without even realizing I think sometime. I sat there and thought how long are you going to let your life pass by without really living it?

I am usually the strong mom of our family for everyone not just my children and husband. I realized I couldn't do this alone, I needed tons of support to give me the strength to push through all of the challanges that where ahead. My husband who is the best, he jumped right on board. He has been encouraging me and making me feel like nothing is impossible. So here I go life...I am starting my journey to be me again, something that I am almost scared to see where it goes. My journey is going to be full of emotional road blocks and physical let downs.. so if any of you out there have a word of a advice for this thirty year old mom who has to loose a whole other person please do. I am going to need all the advice and support I can get.

I think I can I think I can I think I can....... I know I Can

Amanda

Replies

• jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Great you have support at home, lots of support here, I wish you the best of luck, add me if you want to.
  • Halloweenmom2
    Options
    It's a struggle, but I bet ONCE we get to our goal - LIFE will be so much better, not just because we are thinner but because we will begin to feel unbeatable.

I'm here, add me if you'd like.

:D
  • ❤B☩❤
    ❤B☩❤ Posts: 634
    Options
    MOST DEFINITELY you have come to the right place!! :drinker: Cheers with water!! This site has some of THE GREATEST cheerleaders on it, and believe it or not, you will be one of them for many people, as well!

Just by saying to yourself, "I KNOW I CAN!" is a huge step and being here for yourself, your husband and your little boys will give you the motivation to keep going. Best of luck to you, and you got me as a friend!
    Donna
  • Ms_Natalie
    Ms_Natalie Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    Welcome to this fantastic forum and congrats on making a decision to become healtheir and fitter! You are already being an excellent role model to your children! :flowerforyou:

You CAN do this and I'm totally sure you WILL! :flowerforyou:
  • MrsBattousai
    MrsBattousai Posts: 171
    Options
    Hey!

First off I love the title of your topic, when I was reading your post it was like reading my own life. I'm also 30 and have 3 kids and have been big all my life. Sitting in the side lines watching my kids get older and being out of breath every time I tried to play with them. I wish you the best of luck in your weight loss journy.

Good luck,

Melissa
  • tleigh
    tleigh Posts: 58
    Options
    Welcome! You can do this! I never REALLY thought I could lose weight, and now with MFP it is happening. It is great that you have support at home, that helps so much! Feel free to add me if ya need more support on here.

Trisha
  • DanOhh
    DanOhh Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Good luck, Amanda, and welcome to MFP!
  • missouri_rain
    missouri_rain Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Hi Amanda!
    So glad your here, reading your story I felt like you were reading my journal, the most important thing I have learned on this journey is to just it one day at a time, each morning I pray I can just make it through this one day, before you know it, many days turn into months.
  • Melanie1967
    Melanie1967 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    You not only have come to the right place, you have the right attitude about it also. Your story is real, because it's my story also. All of my life I have been heavy, left out, and over looked. I am 43, had 5 children, raised 8 children and now have 15 grandchildren that I want to live to see grow, and be able to do stuff with them also. The support here is awesome! I couldn't do this without all of my friends here. My hubby started off as very little support. Now, even though he hasn't came out and said anything like 'your looking better, your doing good', he has now started here himself in hopes of loosing 37lbs. Anyhow, I am a talker and cold go on FOREVER! I have never done as good trying to loose weight as I have here, with ALL of these GREAT people that understand what I am going through! Goodluck on your journey, and your lifestyle change and feel free to add me as a friend if you would like! Mel
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Hi Amanda! Glad you found MFP. I have been devoted to this site for a number of months and have already seen some progress. I like to take one day at a time, because I have a ways to go. Just make the best choices for your health each day and don't think any further than that day.
    It is a life change, not a diet for a specific amount of time.
    Please add me as a friend if you need some extra support!
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Welcome to a new way of life - a healthy life for you and your family. The best of luck to you on this life-long journey!
  • exercisediva
    exercisediva Posts: 127
    Options
    The biggest step is always the first one! You made the first step to becoming a happier, healthier you! Your children will love you for it! Best of luck!!
  • boomboom011
    boomboom011 Posts: 1,459
    Options
    Good life choice coming here! this is the best group of folks i have ever met! welcome!
  • Robin304
    Robin304 Posts: 64
    Options
    Welcome to MFP. I am inspired by your story and sent a friend request your way. Good luck on your journey!
    Robin
  • fraochin
    fraochin Posts: 48
    Options
    Welcome along! This is a great place to gain inspiration, low fat reciepes and tips on how to make dieting work for you!

I am new-ish too so my first tip to you would be LOG EVERYTHING that passes your lips!

Good luck! x