Advice for Orlando Holiday with car mad son

Options
We live in the UK but in October are going on holiday to Orlando. This will be the first time to the States for my children.

My son will be 8 then and is car mad...Formula 1 and British Touring Cars especially.

Can anyone recommend any events or tracks not too far from Orlando that would be worth a visit.

Thank you :-)

Replies

• YourGirl_Tina
    YourGirl_Tina Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    I know there are a few tracks in the area and some you can even rent to drive. I am sure you have but.. Have you googled it?
  • RunWinterGarden
    RunWinterGarden Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Daytona is about an hour and a half away from Disney (assuming that's where you are going) and a VERY straight shot down I-4. Disney also has the Richard Petty Driving Experience, not sure what it offers for an 8 year old, but it's worth checking out.

http://www.drivepetty.com/race-tracks/orlando-walt-disney-world-speedway
  • RunWinterGarden
    Options
    Looks like they have a junior ride along program:

http://www.drivepetty.com/media-center/press-release/rpde-announces-“junior-ride-alongs”-at-walt-disney-world-speedway
  • Shrinking_Moody
    Shrinking_Moody Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Daytona also offers track tours daily - some even take you onto the track providing no other events are schedule for that day.
  • MooseKnuckle5
    Options
    We don't have anything here Formula 1 or British Touring Car wise but as gschneck said the Richard Petty Driving Experience is awesome as well as the Daytona Speedway is amazing. I know Daytona has a lot of interactive things (like teaming up and changing the tires) and they have a museum there as well.
  • stressedmum73
    Options
    Thank you so much for the info its just the thing I was looking for. The experiences look like I could get sons and husbands birthday presents sorted :-)
  • RunWinterGarden
    Options
    Thank you so much for the info its just the thing I was looking for. The experiences look like I could get sons and husbands birthday presents sorted :-)

Glad to help! If you need anymore Orlando advice just let me know! Been here 22 years now
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    Don't miss the updated Test Track ride at Epcot then. You "design" your own car in line and "test" it on the test track. Should be fun to him (a wait of about 30 mins in the standby line is probably perfect for the whole experience, any shorter and you'll get on the ride without designing the car).

Also don't miss the "Lights Camera Action" stunt show at Hollywood Studios.