First 5k run?

Options
I've been doing insanity for about 2 months now, and today also started the couch to 5k workout. There is a zombie run 5k in August. Do you think if I keep up with the couch to 5k and insanity from now until august I'll be fit enough to do it? I am about 20 lbs overweight.

Replies

• MissMormie
    MissMormie Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Yes, absolutely. As long as you follow the couch to 5k workouts you should be fine. Don't overdo it as you'll risk injuring yourself.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    WIth four months to train you won't have any problem at all doing a 5K in August.
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    I'm so excited! My friends wanted me to join tough mudder with them but I dont think I'm fit enough for that, the zombie run looks doable.
  • paulajed
    paulajed Posts: 21
    Options
    I'm about 60 lbs overweight and am running my first 5K on APRIL 20th- just started running a month ago- and already able to jog 4 miles- keep it up, you can do it!!
  • janahcarter
    janahcarter Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    You don't have to be fit to run a 5k. I did my first 5k last September at 200+ pounds. I'm doing the couch to 5k as well to get ready for my second one this May. You can do it!
  • Aymzc
    Aymzc Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I've just entered to do a 5k in June, not started training yet. Me and my boyfriend doing it together.
  • kbrooks06757
    kbrooks06757 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I did my first 5k at about 90 pound over weight. Couch to 5k is great. Stick with the program and you will do fine.
  • canelly
    canelly Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    Yes you can!! My first 5k mud run I entered without any traing lol I just decided to do it and it took me 40 min :O I been running a 5k after that every month my fastest time is 29 min. I am not a runner but I love a challenge.
  • lisavirani
    lisavirani Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I'm planning on signing up for the zombie run also. But just for an FYI, a friend of mine did it last year and she said it is basically a 5K sprint the entire time. Not casual running/jogging, but a sprint! That scares me, ha. Just thought I'd share her experience :)
  • rahlpn
    rahlpn Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    You can do it! I've only been exercising regularly for 3 months and am still about 55lbs from my goal weight. I am doing my first 5K at the end of this month. I'm a little nervous but excited, I'm doing it with a group of friends.
  • Jxnsmma
    Jxnsmma Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Tough Mudder is one of the hardest. i dont think Id try it for my first mud run. I'd start with a 5k mud run and go from there! I did a 5k snow run this winter and am signed up for both a 5 and a 6k mud run this summer and I cant wait! Its gonna be so much fun!

as for the 5k regular run, you have plenty of time..... youll do great! dont worry about your time, just make finishing your goal and build on it for the next one. try and beat your time, or stop less (if you take walk breaks).

DO IT!!!
  • MariaChele85
    MariaChele85 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    20lbs overweight?? That's almost nothing. Try 80 lbs overweight and I've done four 5ks already.
  • Touched670
    Touched670 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    ABSOLUTELY!! The couch to 5K gets you from walking to running...it's awesome. There is also a book called Run Your Butt Off that follows the same concept. I bought mine online for like $8.00. I actually like it better than the C25K...

Good luck to you!!!
  • weatheredcheese
    weatheredcheese Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    You will be fine, c25k is really simple and will have you running 5k in a matter of 2 months so this gives you another 3 or so months before the event.
  • RunningMom42
    RunningMom42 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I ran a 5k 70 pounds over weight after completing C25K the first time. I was slow but I did it. You should have no problem at all.
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    20lbs overweight?? That's almost nothing. Try 80 lbs overweight and I've done four 5ks already.

It doesn't feel like nothing lol