Clean fuel on a triathlon

Options
ROBJ3411
ROBJ3411 Posts: 72 Member
I'm doing a 70.3 at the end of the month and was wondering what "clean" foods you endurance folks use to fuel?

I'm really worried about keeping my electrolytes up, cause I am a heavy sweater and bonked on the last race at the 7 mile mark on the run.

Suggestions?

Replies

• Ssand_257
    Ssand_257 Posts: 90
    Options
    i used to run 70.3's, i would use power bars and gels (mostly gels on the bike) along with sodium pills, and and i would eat a peanut butter sandwich on the run (a little weird i know) not everyone can eat solid foods like that. if you want to try that, try it on a bunch of long runs, not just one or two. If you have a local triathlon store I would go talk with them, they would probably be your best bet.
  • ROBJ3411
    Options
    I've used gels in the past, but the wife has got us eating Clean foods. ALot of unprocessed stuff without all the additives. I've been eating Lara Bars on the long bike rides and I was gonna add some honey packets for quick fuel. I can eat solids till I get to the run. I'm afraid to eat too much Nuts/fruit as I worry it will upset my stomach.
  • Rebeccasluckyduck
    Rebeccasluckyduck Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    These are great. I'm new to the whole "clean eating" thing so I'm not sure if this fits, but they're healthy and not processed. Below is the recipe, or this is the link. http://www.gimmesomeoven.com/no-bake-energy-bites/ if you want to see it directly. I've used these on long runs and they work great.

I also recommend salt tabs if you're sweat a lot. They made all the difference for me in triathlons and marathon running.

1 cup (dry) oatmeal (I used old-fashioned oats)
    2/3 cup toasted coconut flakes
    1/2 cup peanut butter
    1/2 cup ground flaxseed or wheat germ
    1/2 cup chocolate chips (optional)
    1/3 cup honey or maple syrup
    1 Tbsp. chia seeds (optional)
    1 tsp. vanilla extract

Method

Stir all ingredients together in a medium bowl until thoroughly mixed. Let chill in the refrigerator for half an hour. Once chilled, roll into balls of whatever size you would like. (Mine were about 1" in diameter.) Store in an airtight container and keep refrigerated for up to 1 week.

Makes about 20-25 balls.
  • ROBJ3411
    Options
    Thanks for the recipe, we'll have to give it a try....I just wonder how to store them on a bike and how they will hold up for 3-4 hrs. Nothing worse then making a mess on the bike and getting stickey.
  • Rebeccasluckyduck
    Rebeccasluckyduck Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    They hold up pretty well. I just put them in a ziploc and put them in my bento box if I'm on the bike. As for running, the girl I run with wears a Camelback and we stick them in there. I've never had them crumble up.