Are you guys sure?

Options
Are you SURE it's a positive thing that all I have to do is eat 1370 without exercise and lose 1 1/2 pounds a week? That's what MFP says but I'm terrified I'll start and won't lose weight, or not a pound and a half a week anyway.

I'm 5'5, 174 pounds, i don't know if frame matters but i'm a medium frame.

Replies

• toastnhunny
    toastnhunny Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I lost 10 lbs this year, just by following my calorie goal everyday and I've exercised only a few times, although I'm trying to workout more often. But it's not a scam and it really does work.
  • brokenjawedmuse
    Options
    No one can guarantee anything when it comes to weight loss. Everyone's body is different.

However, you won't get a lean and toned look without exercise. If all you're looking to do is lose weight, then yes, calorie restriction alone will do that for you.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Calories in, calories out. Law of science. It'll work. You probably won't drop the 1 pound, 1 pound, every single week (the body doesn't know the difference between one Sunday to the next) but follow the guidelines and it should average out about that monthly.
  • Scott_2025
    Scott_2025 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    As you may be able to tell, i am a guy...Not sure the physiology is the same for guys and girls, but the system here has been working well for me for nearly 60 days.... My weight loss goal is 2 pounds per week. Each time I have lost 10 pounds MFP has me reset my calorie goal. each 10 pound loss has resulted in about 60 calorie reduction in daily calorie goal.

Give this place a shot..... It is working for me....
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Are you SURE it's a positive thing that all I have to do is eat 1370 without exercise and lose 1 1/2 pounds a week? That's what MFP says but I'm terrified I'll start and won't lose weight, or not a pound and a half a week anyway.

so what will you do if you only lose half a pound or a pound?
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    We can't guarantee it will work.. no one can.

I would suggest setting your goal to 1 lb per week which should give you a bit more calories. I am the same height as you with about 20 more lbs to lose than you and have my goal set at 1 lb per week. I tend to lose more than that.

You don't want your deficit too high.

Also know that weight loss is not linear. You will not lose each and every week the same. Some weeks you will lose a little, some weeks you will lose a lot, some weeks your weight will stay the same and some weeks you may gain. Don't freak out over it as it happens and is just part of the process.

GOod luck!
  • retiree2006
    retiree2006 Posts: 951 Member
    Options

For some it's possible, for others it's probably not. Each of us is different. If you insist on that loss and you don't make it, you're setting yourself up for disappointment and possible failure. Why not just eat healthy, exercise if you choose to (it helps with lots more than dropping pounds) and see how it goes. Adjustments are something you can make as you learn how you react to certain calories, etc., as time passes. Good luck and relax! Doing something is always preferable to doing nothing!
  • sunshinestater
    sunshinestater Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I'll echo the importance of toning. If time is your issue, there are some great 30 minute DVDs out there, like the Firm Express and Jillian's Body Revolution, which I'm currently doing. But you will definitely lose weight if you take in less calories than your body uses.
  • Asrafel1337
    Asrafel1337 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I haven't been a member for very long, but I've already noticed a change. If you hadn't already, like me, when you do start actually watching your Calories, Carbs, Fats, and Proteins, and adjust your daily eating habits accordingly, it does make a difference. Adding exercise into your day burns more calories, so you also have the opportunity either enjoy a bit more of the foods you love, or it helps make up any extra you may go over. My biggest hurdle, at first, was the self-discipline to follow the program, and so far I'm glad I am.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    There are no guarantees in life, but one thing is pretty sure....if you consistently eat too much...you will most likely GAIN, so what do you have to lose by trying it?

Additionally..do you have something against exercise? Any healthy lifestyle change should incorporate SOME kind of exercise....
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    We can't guarantee it will work.. no one can.

I would suggest setting your goal to 1 lb per week which should give you a bit more calories. I am the same height as you with about 20 more lbs to lose than you and have my goal set at 1 lb per week. I tend to lose more than that.

You don't want your deficit too high.

Also know that weight loss is not linear. You will not lose each and every week the same. Some weeks you will lose a little, some weeks you will lose a lot, some weeks your weight will stay the same and some weeks you may gain. Don't freak out over it as it happens and is just part of the process.

GOod luck!

This. If you find that you're starving all the time, drop to 1 pound of loss per week.
  • davypr86
    davypr86 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I have only been a week and it has work well. The main benefit has been that it motivates me to work out regularly so as to have more flexibility with the food.

I believe this works as long as you are being honest with yourself and pay attention to every detail (ex. A teaspoon of sugar or a tablespoon of oil). If you do that you will be very aware of what you eat and the weight loss should come along.
  • ellemuise
    ellemuise Posts: 34
    Options
    weight loss is not linear you'll lose but maybe not 1.5lbs every week .also the only way to know is to try right?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

How much you lose at that calorie count depends on a lot of personal things, so there is no guarantee of 1.5 lbs per week. That's just based on population averges.

But exercise is important for healthy whether you are trying to lose weight or not. Not exercising is never a "positive", IMO.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    It would not be unusual to start and not lose weight right away. Most people don't, unless it is water weight or they are killing themselves with exercise. Best to figure on it taking a couple of weeks for the scale to start moving in any meaningful way. If it happens sooner, wonderful.

And BTW, keep in mind is not only # of calories in/out that determines how much you lose/gain and how quickly. It is also the type of calories. 100 Cals of sugar (insulin spike, encourages fat gain) is vastly different from 100 Cals of, say, pesto (monounsaturated fatty acids - help keep you feeling satisfied, good for your heart, encourages fat loss).

The important thing is to try to make changes you can/will stick with - otherwise, even if you lose everything you want now, it'll all come back when you backslide.
  • kayaksara
    kayaksara Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Yes, you will lose withouth excercise. I lose an average of 5 pounds per month eating 1200 calories per day....without a whole lot of exercise. I recommend exercise if you can. And if you exercise you may want to up your calories a bit. You have to experiement a little. I currently weigh 144 and I am short and small frame. But like everyone else is saying, every body is different. When I started I didn't lose a pound for 6 weeks. But I didn't gain either. I stayed the course and kept eating the same. Finally the pounds started falling off me. Don't expect a pound every week though. Be prepared for no loss. But eventually a calorie deficit will result in a weight loss.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Thanks to MFP, I am currently maintaining my weight after reaching my goal weight.
    I had my weight loss set to lose 1 lb a week using MFP's calculations and it worked. Some weeks I lost less but others I lost more and the average was 1 lb a week. So it does work. Have faith.

Sometimes, though, trying to lose too much too fast may cause you to stall and plateau. I don't know if 1 1/2 lbs is "too much" (it may not be) but if you find that you aren't losing or you're too hungry, try resetting your goal to losing 1 lb a week.

Exercise is helpful if you're feeling hungry. It allows you to eat more on exercise days.

Good luck and have faith. MFP works. Weigh, measure and track all your food intake and your exercise.
  • DennyHodge
    DennyHodge Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    You will definitely lose weight. How much will depend on your body/genetics/etc. It may be more, it may be less. It's important to start tracking your nutrition/diet though to start. Be consistent for a period of time and see where you end up weight wise compared to what the tool says you will be. Then you can adjust from there.

Don't just focus on the scale though if you are working out hard. Any kind of strength training/body weight exercises will burn fat and add muscle (not bulky -- I know as a female that's a concern), but lean muscle that tones your body. Muscle weighs more so some people get discouraged on the scale.

Take measurements, or just pay attention to how your favorite pair of jeans fit after a few weeks. The clothes don't lie. Sometimes the scale does.
  • krhn
    krhn Posts: 781 Member
    Options

If you can find your BMR by first calculating it, you can then get a closer guess at how many calories you can take to lose weight - more of a trial and improvement!
  • His_Buttercup2015
    His_Buttercup2015 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    If calories in = calories out then weight gain = 0. Therefore calories in < calories out = weight loss. MFP figures out how many calories it takes for you to lose weight. If you keep an eye on fat and sugar too even better. Its a proven fact if you burn more calories than you consume you'll lose weight, how much time it takes varies. Like someone posted before, your body doesn't know one Sunday from the next.