New Balance Minimus shoes - opinions?

Options
Good day all! I have been toying with the idea of transitioning to a minimal shoe. I've had my Aasics for over two years so it is definitely time for some new ones. I've been looking into the New Balance Minimus 10 shoe (partly because they're on sale - not sure if I want to pay full price on shoes I'm unsure of yet). Is anyone familiar with this shoe? Is it good for running?

I run through a green belt which is mostly dirt path and a few areas that are quite rocky, and I usually run about a 2.5-3.5 mile run, depending on which paths I choose. Will this shoe be enough protection?

My Aasics have been good shoes but they are heavy and keep my feet way too hot (they're always red and sweaty when I'm done running - yuck).
Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Michelle

Replies

• Trustybonney
    Options
    Don't have a pair of these, however, go to Amazon.com or Zappos and read shoe reviews.
    Also, stop off at a running shoe store or call them and ask about what their customers say.
    When in doubt ask. You are a smart shopper. Good luck!
  • bdburch
    bdburch Posts: 127
    Options
    I have their minimus zero trail shoe and I love it. I absolutely hate wearing shoes and these are one of the closest I've found that will give me a barefoot feeling while still conforming to my gym's policies. I haven't been able to use them for running outside yet but they work great for the treadmill and toning classes I take.
  • Brittany3914
    Brittany3914 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I recently transitioned to a minimalist shoe (also an Asics convert) with a forefoot running technique and I'm NEVER LOOKING BACK!

Although I don't run on trails (mostly paved trails or treadmill), I currently have the Merrell Barefoot Run Bare Access Arc 2 (longest name....EVER) and absolutely love them! I bought them at an REI, and I remember trying on another shoe that was similar in style but had thicker treads, suitable for trail running.

Like I said, I've never worn NB and haven't tested their minimalist line (I know a few people who wear them and have zero complaints). I'm just speaking about what I know. I'd suggest actually going to a store and walking around in them vs. buying online based on color/price/looks. Some brands and styles might fit better than others. Some might hit your toe in an uncomfortable spot, etc.

http://www.merrell.com/US/en-US/Product.mvc.aspx/30592W/73638/Womens/Barefoot-Run-Bare-Access-Arc-2?dimensions=0
  • mjenson17
    mjenson17 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input. I've recently gone to the store to try them out a little and was going to go back with socks this time (had my flip flops on :) )

Do you know if they should be more snug than a regular shoe? I'd been told when I bought my Aasics to buy a size up so that I don't crunch my toes. You know if this is good advice/bad advice or how a minimalist shoe should fit?
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    The minimus shoes should wear like a sock.
  • divemunkey
    divemunkey Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I have a pair of 20's for work, and one for crossfit, a pair of Zero's for crossfit (good for rope climbs), and another pair of 20's for casual, and 2 pairs of 10's for casuals. I LUUURVE them. Every single pair. I also have a pair of recovery shoes, don't recall what number they are. I also have A couple pairs of Merrell barefoot shoes, too, but I like the NB's better. And I have 2 pairs of VFF, but they are used for driving and other specific activities. Minimalist shoes ROCK!!!
  • divemunkey
    divemunkey Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Also, minimalist shoes should have a very wide toebox, and so should not be limit your foot or toe movements in any way.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    bumping becuase I'm curious about these shoes too. I'm currently wearing Brooks Adrenalines and love them but it's time for a new pair and I've also been toying with the idea of trying out a barefoot style. That said, I do plan on going back to the running shoe store to see what they say because I do pronate (as many of us do) and wonder if the barefoot style would have enough support.
  • bdburch
    Options
    My minimalists are 9.5 US Womens. This is also the size I wore in my previous Nikes (don't know the model) and some of my off brand casual tennis shoes.

I prefer to have them laced loosely because I do feel that they are a little snug but there is still plenty of room for me to move my foot around. I can still wiggle all of my toes and move my heel in and out of them if I choose to but the shoes do not slip off at all by themselves.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I didn't like minimus. I like altra zero drop and merrell. They make the best ones IMHO.
  • bdburch
    Options
    bumping becuase I'm curious about these shoes too. I'm currently wearing Brooks Adrenalines and love them but it's time for a new pair and I've also been toying with the idea of trying out a barefoot style. That said, I do plan on going back to the running shoe store to see what they say because I do pronate (as many of us do) and wonder if the barefoot style would have enough support.

From my research and experience, barefoot (or neutral) shoes are just that, neutral. They offer little/no support and try to mimic the feeling of being barefoot. One of the ways to prevent injury when running in these types of shoes is to run with correct form.
  • mjenson17
    mjenson17 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the comments. I decided to go for it and bought the New Balance Minimus 10 trail running shoe. I started out light and walked in them which felt fine. Did my first run in them last night and I think I'm really going to like them. My feet definitely felt like they were adjusting since it's a whole new feel for them. Felt like they were getting used to the arch differences. I definitely felt like I got more of a muscle workout on them too. I felt like my leg muscles worked a little more because they weren't just coming down on padding. Felt pretty cool.

The run felt really light so I felt like I kept a nice steady pace and my feet didn't feel weighed down. Where I go running, it's mostly trail with patches of heavy rock, and then some sidewalk, so it's a good mix of terrain and I felt like the shoes did well on all terrain.

I'm excited to keep working with these shoes. It could be the beginning of a beautiful relationship!
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options

Pronating is a heel strikers problem. Pronating refers to how you roll from your heel to your forefoot for toe off. This concept is irrelevant if your heel never touches the ground, there is no roll.

Minimal shoes are made to make forefoot and midfoot striking as easy as possible (trying to forefoot strike in big poofy heel shoes sucks).

Heel striking in minimal shoes will trash your shins and your knees. There is little to no padding, your arch and your calves are your shock absorber, not the big poofy heel.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    I have the New Balance WT20v2 Minimus Trail Running Shoe and i really like them! I run on hiking trails at a nearby state park.
  • msrootitooti
    msrootitooti Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I have the Minimus for just walking around but run in the Saucony Kinvara's which is a minimal shoe but still has a little more of the sole.