Eat More to Weigh Less - really?

Options
13»

Replies

• CariS001
    CariS001 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I was skeptical too... and still have days where I'm tempted to plumet myself back down to 1000-1200 calories. But, I DO know that my metabolism is thrashed, and the reset makes sense to me. Now, actually accomplishing a reset... that's my current struggle. I hope to one day be a example for resets that worked ;)
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    I agree with all the responses you have gotten about this as far as they encourage eating at a smaller deficit. However, I am confused about your statement:

" and why is it when I look at the EM2WL group, the information there invites me out to an external website where I am invited to donate money to access any of the further information?"

I have been on the website and all of the information is available free to anyone. You don't have to donate anything. There is a statement on the bottom of the web page that says something about the "info being free but hosting a website is not free so if you would like to make a donation, you can." I have not made a donation, and I have been on their forums and blogs and asked questions and I have never been prompted or pressured to give money.

I refer to the EM2WL Starter Kit - a download e-book at $5.00. I doubt this e-book contains anything more than MFP offers for free. Freedom of choice though - no problem.
  • darman
    darman Posts: 269
    Options
    Ok - so i am acronym challenged...

TDEE?
    EM2WL?
    IPOARM?

What do these stand for?
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Ok - so i am acronym challenged...

TDEE?
    EM2WL?
    IPOARM?

What do these stand for?

TDEE: Total Daily Energy Expiditure... it's all the energy used (cals needed) by yoru body to do everything you ask it to do throughout a day... breath, pump blood, digest food, clean the house, run errands, move furniture, lift, cardio, etc.

EM2WL: Eat More To Weigh Less... it's a philosophy... see the bulk of this tread for mroe info.

IPOARM: In Place Of A Roadmap... it's a thread/approach that helps simply all this for people. Search for it for more info.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Options
    Thank you for all responses.

This venture has left me leaning more towards TDEE -20%, but I have a clearer picture of the way ahead for me.

I hope it was/will be useful for others and all best to all.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I understand your reservations. I think that eat more to weigh less gets misinterpreted a lot and possibly doesn't get explained often enough. I follow and advocate the TDEE-20% approach. As for exercise calories, as long as you only eat them once it's fine. So either include exercise in TDEE and don't eat back calories, or don't include it and then eat them back later. It's just personal preference.

The other issue I've seen with EM2WL is that there are some who don't understand the context (that you still need to eat under your TDEE) and who just assume the answer is always to increase calories. That's not always the case. If a person is eating at a reasonable level and not losing weight then other options should be considered, like inaccurate logging.

Hopefully you've gotten the info you were looking for.
  • Jamtart9
    Jamtart9 Posts: 13
    Options
    Ok I think I understand TDEE, but nowhere in this thread does anyone actually say how to figure it out...

So TDEE is BMR + energy burned in exercise.

To lose weight, you need to figure your daily TDEE and subtract 20%...then eat only that many calories a day.

Or if you want to do it the easier way, you let MFP calculate it and eat back the calories you burn in exercise...

Is that correct?
  • smiddleton83
    smiddleton83 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    If my BMR is 1460, and I eat that…then I burn 500 calories, I will have the net of 960. However, I have eaten 1460 calories…and just because I burned 500 of them in exercise, my body knows that it was eaten. So would I not be over eating if I ate those extra 500 cals? Please help. I do a Seal team outdoor training, Monday – Friday, and run 5+ miles on Saturday! I found myself to be so hungry, but dealing with it, until night where I find myself bingeing. : (
    My friend shared with me with a Eat-Clean book, that is really doable! So, I have been doing this is for 4 weeks, applying all the principles, and I have went from 150 to 157 …and now I just feel fat, my waist went up an inch, my clothes feel tighter, I have been drinking up to 6 liters of water a day, measuring, and counting. Since I have been eating this way, I no longer binge…but I have gained weight! Should I up my calories more? One website said my BMR is 1460, another said 1551, and another said 1750!!!! MY GOODNESS!!!
    I have been eating my burned calories…and equal to eating 2000+ cals a day! Should I lower my cals?
    Should my net equal to 1460, 1551, or 1750…or should my net equal 960? The body has already registered these cals eaten…right? Why eat them back?
    I know I have messed my metabolize up eating this way…I want to do what is right!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    Ok I think I understand TDEE, but nowhere in this thread does anyone actually say how to figure it out...

To lose weight, you need to figure your daily TDEE and subtract 20%...then eat only that many calories a day.

Or if you want to do it the easier way, you let MFP calculate it and eat back the calories you burn in exercise...

Is that correct?

Yeah that's it. Although if you set MFP to 2 lbs per week it's not going to be TDEE-20% for the most part. Set it to 1 lb and it should be close.

As for how to figure it out go to goals and it should show you "calories burned daily" and that's your TDEE. It's BMR multipled by an activity multiplier.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    If my BMR is 1460, and I eat that…then I burn 500 calories, I will have the net of 960. However, I have eaten 1460 calories…and just because I burned 500 of them in exercise, my body knows that it was eaten. So would I not be over eating if I ate those extra 500 cals? Please help. I do a Seal team outdoor training, Monday – Friday, and run 5+ miles on Saturday! I found myself to be so hungry, but dealing with it, until night where I find myself bingeing. : (
    My friend shared with me with a Eat-Clean book, that is really doable! So, I have been doing this is for 4 weeks, applying all the principles, and I have went from 150 to 157 …and now I just feel fat, my waist went up an inch, my clothes feel tighter, I have been drinking up to 6 liters of water a day, measuring, and counting. Since I have been eating this way, I no longer binge…but I have gained weight! Should I up my calories more? One website said my BMR is 1460, another said 1551, and another said 1750!!!! MY GOODNESS!!!
    I have been eating my burned calories…and equal to eating 2000+ cals a day! Should I lower my cals?
    Should my net equal to 1460, 1551, or 1750…or should my net equal 960? The body has already registered these cals eaten…right? Why eat them back?
    I know I have messed my metabolize up eating this way…I want to do what is right!

You're eating them back because 1460 is the deficit you should be eating at. It's probably a 500 calorie deficit, if you chose 1 lb per week loss. So if you burn 500 off then your deficit gets a lot bigger, which means you're at risk of losing more muscle and stalling out. You want to net your goal. Since MFP's calorie burns are often off though many people (myself included) eat back half so there's a margin of error.
  • darwinwoodka
    darwinwoodka Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Not eating enough and depriving your body of what it needs and what you want to eat is going to make you feel deprived and when you binge you'll eat more, and that excess will turn to fat.

Not eating enough and working out is going to slow your metabolism and cost you lean muscle mass. Muscle is more available to the body as an energy source than fat, and won't rebuild if you're not eating enough.

Strength training and eating enough calories to maintain your lean muscle mass is going to help put you into a fat burning mode. The muscle will have enough calories to rebuild when you work out, and your metabolism won't slow, and your daily expended energy will tend to come from your fat reserves and not your lean muscle mass.

There is a lot of science behind this, but that's the basics.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options

Is that correct?

Yes, except that the TDEE is BMR + your day to day calorie burn above BMR (work, etc.) + exercise. I'm mentioning that because I think the middle bit can be forgotten about. The figure MFP uses supposedly includes the first two parts, but not the third.

If you want to you could use the first two parts and subtract 20%, but then add in your exercise calories - 20% too. The difference is that it's a percentage deficit rather than a fixed amount.

I think this summary is very clear: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/943139-weight-loss-cheat-sheet-ipoarm
  • Jamtart9
    Jamtart9 Posts: 13
    Options

Is that correct?

Yes, except that the TDEE is BMR + your day to day calorie burn above BMR (work, etc.) + exercise. I'm mentioning that because I think the middle bit can be forgotten about. The figure MFP uses supposedly includes the first two parts, but not the third.

If you want to you could use the first two parts and subtract 20%, but then add in your exercise calories - 20% too. The difference is that it's a percentage deficit rather than a fixed amount.

I think this summary is very clear: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/943139-weight-loss-cheat-sheet-ipoarm

THANK YOU for that link!! that helps immensely!
  • bearwith
    bearwith Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Just keep up the exercise as well.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Options
    Hopefully you've gotten the info you were looking for.

I've got it - thank you.