Job Worries!

Options
Hi everyone,

I work with people with special needs and have recently got into an agency that supply hospitals with care workers. Now usually I work in residential homes so it's easy for me to prepare healthy dinners for myself but with this new job I'll be working 12hr days on my feet (good excersise!!!) and will only have access to a kettle!

I'm thinking a big breakfast in the morning, like porridge plus a banana smoothie, but my main concern is what to bring with me?! Sometimes there will be no fridge available on the wards, I'm working on, let alone a microwave, so I need something non perishable, easy to prepare and store and it also nees to be high energy as it is a run around job that starts at 8am and finishes at 9pm!

Any suggestions would be SO welcome!

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• dragonflyjill
    dragonflyjill Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Trail mix and a piece of fruit? Can you bring a small cooler, maybe keep it in the car?
    How do they feed the patients with no kitchen facilities? Weird!
  • fraochin
    fraochin Posts: 48
    Options
    There are kitchen facilities but they are to feed patients, not staff. Increased risk of infection etc. Only kitchen staff allowed in there! There is also cafe's etc in the hospitals but I tend to order the wrong things and get tepmted by cakes etc at these places so would prefer to bring my own food in!

As I said I will have access to basic things, and some ward staff rooms are better than others so there will sometimes be a microwave etc but as I'm agency I won't know what hospital, let alone what ward I am on until the day! So it's hard to prepare!

Cooler in car is a good idea though!
  • Racheal200
    Racheal200 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    hi
    i have worked under similar circumstances and a cooler will help
    get a thermost and have soup and crackers hard boiled eggs
    cheese wraps

hope this helps puddings :flowerforyou:
  • cassandra1220
    cassandra1220 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I take the starkist albacore tuna lunch kits to work with me. They come with a low fat mayo pack and crackers. Pair that up with a pc. of fruit and you are good to go. Can you take a small cooler with you?
  • futuredispatchhottie911
    Options
    What about tuna you can get them already made in a package soup doesn't always have to be hot I know it helps. fruits vegetables the only other thing I can think of is sandwiches I am sorry I know it's not alot of help. Or you can get a plastic small lunchbox and get one of those ice things you put in the freezer it's supposed to keep stuff cold maybe that will work for you.
  • cassandra1220
    cassandra1220 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    BTW... you are a stunning woman!
  • fraochin
    Options
    Thanks Rosy! A thermost is a great idea! I can make home made veg soup and a boiled egg or two for some extra energy!

Cassandra I don't think we have the albacore kits in Ireland? Must look into it! Going to go buy a small cooler tomorrow!

Thanks for help!
  • fraochin
    Options
    Tis a good picture, that's all! I certainly don't wake up looking like that! haha

But thank you!
  • sandara
    sandara Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    A small soft side cooler would give you lots more options. Salads, Cottage cheese and fruit, yogurt. You can make some really filling sandwiches with the arnold's mutli-grain bread, laughing cow cheese and some lean sandwich meat. It's one of my favorites and seems to keep me going all day. Top it off with a piece of fruit or yogurt. Good luck!
  • dlrcpa
    dlrcpa Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Pasta salad (no meat but you could add garbanzo beans/chick peas), bean salad (kidney beans, green beans, oil, vinegar, sugar). Any types of beans wouldn't spoil and would give you protein and energy. Barley & fruit pilaf (Barley, dried apricot, raisins, apples, walnuts). Shredded carrot & raisins & apple salad (I like fat free Catalina or Thousand Island dressing on this.)
  • tdh302
    tdh302 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Others have posted similar, but just wanted to say I understand as I am a psychology doctoral extern and spend two long days (about 15 hours including travel time) split between a psychiatric inpatient facility, the practice, and campus. No place at all to store food or re-heat. I bring an insulated bag with about 4 coldpacks to keep salads, yogurts, and fruits. I pre-measure out beans, dressings, or whatever else for my salad and put those in baggies or small containers. I also bring a protein bar or pre-made protein drink and bottled water. I am completely self contained for 6 mini meals in a day.
  • fraochin
    Options
    That's brilliant advice tdh and dircpa! Thank you so much!
  • tdh302
    tdh302 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    You are very welcome! It can be time consuming and a bit of a pain to pack all your food, but I always do this the night before so that I don't have to think about it in the morning when I'm tired and just trying to get out the door :)
  • bigcoon103
    bigcoon103 Posts: 30
    Options
    Ruff job, got a lot of good advice from all. String cheese, crystal light drinks and nuts are my addition to the cooler. Have a great day.