Weight gains as we age.

Options
Ok I finally am disgusted with myself. I weigh more now than I have ever in my life. At 150 lbs I feel like a blimp. I know some of you are saying that don't seem like a lot. However, I am only 5 foot 1 inches. I have never had a weight problem except when I was a child but it was the other way. I could never gain enough. at 6 years old i weighed 29 lbs. At 18 I finally tipped the scales at 90 lbs. by time I was 30 I weighed 120 lbs and that was after having 3 kids. At 40 I weighed 130 lbs. But at 46 almost 47 I now weigh 150 lbs. I am a cook. I am on my feet 8 to 10 hours a day 6 days a week. I ride my bike to work everyday in the spring summer and fall and in the winter i walk to work. Work is a mile away. My Dr. says it is my changing hormones that are to blame and if i wasn't so active i would probably weigh more. However I refuse to stand quietly by while i get fat. I have developed arthritis on top of it all in my knees. I was feeling tired and run down all the time. I took a class on natural healing and started a vitamin regimen that has help the run down and tired feeling now I am ready to attack the weight and get back to a normal healthy weight and be able to keep up with my 5 year old granddaughter. I am looking for people to be my "weight loss pals" so we can inspire and root on each other. I love compitition. I think it would help me stay on track.

Replies

• newme2105
    newme2105 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Hi - I weigh a lot more than you but luckily I am 5ft7. I had a full hysterectomy almost 2 years ago and between that and various medications I gained 4.5stone! I am now doing the 5:2 diet and exercising and am losing weight. I've lost 13.5lbs since 3 March 2013.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,119 Member
    Options
    Your calorie needs do decrease as you age. Best thing to do is log all your food for a couple weeks and study your nutrition.

It's tough to eat less - but it's wasteful to eat more than your body needs, and as a chef/cook you know how important it is not to waste food.
  • grandmastime
    grandmastime Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    What is the 5:2 diet. I have never heard of it before.
  • grandmastime
    grandmastime Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    My Dr. never said anything about that just basically I am getting older my hormones are changing and there is nothing i can do about it. However I will not take that lying down. I found this sit specifically to help track my food intake.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,119 Member
    Options
    What is the 5:2 diet. I have never heard of it before.

You can Google it. It is a form of Intermittent Fasting. Some people do well on limiting the times they eat. I think 5:2 has an entire 24 hour fast period every week.

Go to Groups ^^ above in the blue bar and type in 5:2 or Intermittent Fasting. Lots of groups here with good info.