Sleep and weight loss

Options
I read a study about how getting at least 7 1/2 hours of sleep can help weight loss.

I went to bed around 2:30 am, set an alarm for 10:30 am, and still woke up at 8am. I have a hard time going back to sleep in the morning after I wake up. Anyone else finding it hard to get enough sleep? What do you do? Have you noticed any changes in your weight loss from sleeping more?

Replies

• PlumCrazyGirl
    PlumCrazyGirl Posts: 1,463 Member
    Options
    I had read a magazine article about weight loss and sleep.
    Unfortunately, I don't recall what magazine.

The article took a handful of women... weighed/measured them at the start and end of the study.
    Requested they don't change anything except get 8 hours of sleep. Their exercise and food was to remain the same.

Participants lost inches and/or pounds at the end of the study.

I was also told by an individual in the medical field -- her father got a cpap for a sleep disorder -- that's all he did -- use the cpap and lost weight.

For me, I can say use of the cpap (for the same sleep disorder) is not causing me to lose weight.
  • mattschwartz01
    mattschwartz01 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I read a study about how getting at least 7 1/2 hours of sleep can help weight loss.

I went to bed around 2:30 am, set an alarm for 10:30 am, and still woke up at 8am. I have a hard time going back to sleep in the morning after I wake up. Anyone else finding it hard to get enough sleep? What do you do? Have you noticed any changes in your weight loss from sleeping more?

I am having a little more difficulty with sleep longevity but I chalk it up to having generally more energy. I do notice that my quality of sleep is much better.
  • nicola1141
    nicola1141 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    My husband lost 40 lbs when he got the CPAP. A big part of that, though, was he wasn't tired during the day anymore (because he was getting restful sleep at night), so didn't take as many naps, had energy to walk to the corner store (instead of drive) and he switched to diet pop instead of full-sugar.

Do you have blackout shades/curtains? Those help a lot with going back to sleep (or sleeping later). I'd start with smaller increments. You say you went to sleep at 2:30 - can you move that up to 2:15 and move in small increments, so that if you continue to wake at 8 you're getting more sleep?
  • tatd_820
    tatd_820 Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Im not sure how I feel about this because I never get that much sleep and I've done pretty well over the last 14 months losing 76lbs. I mostly go to bed at midnight or later and wake up at 5:45 am.
  • patinaragazza
    patinaragazza Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I have fairly bad insomnia and it definitely affects my ability to lose weight. Exercise is my key to sleeping better--other than that I just try to chill and read when I can't sleep.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,119 Member
    Options
    I have trouble going back to sleep if I let my brain take over. It has been a challenge to quiet my thinking in the early morning hours. I naturally wake at eight hours of sleep now; but I had to go on a MISSION to make my life as stress-free as possible and to make my bedroom as conducive to sleep as I possibly could.

Make sure you aren't drinking Cokes or tea or coffee (caffeine) after noon-ish, have a nice dark room. Go to bed at the same time every night, run a fan or other white noise machine.

When you wake at 8AM, go to the bathroom and keep thinking happy thoughts. Don't let the stresses of the upcoming day start to work on you.

Sleep helps your hormones reset. Hormone balance is crucial to weight loss and maintenance.
  • workaholic_nurse
    workaholic_nurse Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I did a blog entry on this not too long ago...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/workaholic_nurse/view/sleep-496784

linking it because I hate to retype.:drinker:
  • GingerBiscuit_19
    GingerBiscuit_19 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    The best way to get sleep is to enure that you are warm enough and not overheated, you have your curtains shut - no light; and it's as quiet as possible. Near impossible in the city, where I live, but still. Maybe have a hot bath beforehand too!

The only thing I have with the whole no light thing is that in the morning it affects my moods ( I have manic depression and SAD), so I leave a little gap in the curtains so that when the sun rises, I get it :)

As for sleep helping weight loss, I don't know. But I guess if you have a good sleep, you will have more energy during the day and therefore you are more likely to burn calories!
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Is there a particular reason you are staying up so late? Could you go to sleep earlier? Some people's bodies are highly resistant to changes in their personal circadian rhythm. That being said. There is also a range of normal. Some people have a set point of around 6 hours.
  • CarmenSRT
    CarmenSRT Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    I've had problems getting enough sleep for years. The various issues that keep waking me up have been addressed one by one - stopped caffeine entirely, take a medication for the Restless Leg Syndrome, take another med for the overactive bladder, added melatonin as well and I exercise more than an hour every day. I now get up 3 times a night instead of six. Unfortunately that isn't enough change to yield a good night's sleep. I think I may just be doomed to never get a good night's sleep again. :ohwell:

My weight loss is much slower than in past weight loss cycles. It still happens, it's just a much harder slog
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I think this depends on the person. Some people just need more or less sleep than others. At 8 hours a night, I am sleep deprived. My husband, on the other hand, has a hard time sleeping for seven hours and feels best at about 6.5 hours.

Having a one-size-fits-all sleep prescription makes about as much sense as a one-size-fits-all exercise prescription.

Just like everyone says here: If you are hungry, eat more.

Apply that to sleep as well: If you are tired, sleep more.
  • kittykat1994
    kittykat1994 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this! Such an interesting and helpful read!
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    I have found that a nightly melatonin supplement has greatly eased my insomnia. I feel almost twice as refreshed after a night's sleep than previously. I recommend giving it a try.
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    Since starting my journey in January I would have to say I am sleeping better than I have in years. I exercise for about an hour most night from about 6-7. I sleep better, I feel more rested, I have more energy. I can exercise more. I can eat more because I exercise more. I'm more tired and sleep better. It's a vicious cycle that is working great for me at least :happy:
  • ajhugz
    ajhugz Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    My husband lost 40 lbs when he got the CPAP. A big part of that, though, was he wasn't tired during the day anymore (because he was getting restful sleep at night), so didn't take as many naps, had energy to walk to the corner store (instead of drive) and he switched to diet pop instead of full-sugar.

Do you have blackout shades/curtains? Those help a lot with going back to sleep (or sleeping later). I'd start with smaller increments. You say you went to sleep at 2:30 - can you move that up to 2:15 and move in small increments, so that if you continue to wake at 8 you're getting more sleep?

Thats a good idea. I never go to bed at the same time but i always wake up within the same hour.
  • ajhugz
    Options
    Is there a particular reason you are staying up so late? Could you go to sleep earlier? Some people's bodies are highly resistant to changes in their personal circadian rhythm. That being said. There is also a range of normal. Some people have a set point of around 6 hours.

Yeah sometimes I stay up late editing pictures. I don't have to, I just get lost in my work.
  • ajhugz
    Options
    I have found that a nightly melatonin supplement has greatly eased my insomnia. I feel almost twice as refreshed after a night's sleep than previously. I recommend giving it a try.

Sleeping pill? They don't put me to sleep because I fight it. I get scared I'm going to sleep too long and then i get a anxious and then I'm up for a long time or waking up multiple times.
  • ajhugz
    Options

Having a one-size-fits-all sleep prescription makes about as much sense as a one-size-fits-all exercise prescription.

Just like everyone says here: If you are hungry, eat more.

Apply that to sleep as well: If you are tired, sleep more.

Thanks for putting in that perspective
  • mamabravo68
    Options
    you might want to check your cotrsol levels, if they are high, due to stress, you dont sleep, you put weight on.