Overeaters Anonymous

Options
For those of you who go/have been to meetings, what is it like? There is one near me and I am thinking about it but not sure what the experience is like.

Replies

• CCusedtodance
    CCusedtodance Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I do not have any information for you; however I will respond to your post so it will go back up to the top and perhaps someone will see it.
  • collinslydia
    Options
    Overeaters Anonymous is really life changing. I went two years ago, and while I've been in and out of it, while I am in it and fully committed I'm really happy. For a long period of time I was able to abstain from foods that were unhealthy for my body and my spirit, and everything else in my life that was unmanageable fell into place. I strongly suggest that you go!
  • charliemarie923
    charliemarie923 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    For those of you who go/have been to meetings, what is it like? There is one near me and I am thinking about it but not sure what the experience is like.

Ive never been to an OA group, but i have been to a BEAT general eating disorders group. It was very useful-it had peer support and then a tuition part, but you need to be ready. If youre not prepared to change and follow what they say, theres not point going. It took me 3 long years to figure that out. Its worth a try, definately and even if you dont find the group itself useful, you may meet some friends there who can support you.
  • finnsgma
    finnsgma Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • ctenan1205
    Options
    I'd really like to go myself. I am a recovering anorexic who is now for some reason flipping in completely the opposite direction... I binge nearly every day, and have gained at least 10 pounds in 3 weeks. Some of it was needed, but now I can't stop. I need help so that I do not regain all the weight I lost, and my body returns to it's natural weight - not a bulimic or anorexic weight. I really want to go to OA rather than an eating disorder group because I am afraid the anorexics in the group may trigger something in me.
  • Foodie711711
    Foodie711711 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I recently went to one to check it out. It's very similar to AA/NA just food associated. Same steps, same terminology, groups ran the same way. It was nice to see that there were other ppl like myself who have difficulties with eating. I do drug and alcohol support for a living so I was not a fan of the group just because I felt like I was at work for another hour. But my mom who had never seen anything like it really enjoyed her experience. Hope that helps.
  • BeautifulHez
    BeautifulHez Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Oveaters alike, add me! Only positive people need apply. :D
  • Shadowcub
    Shadowcub Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    OA (OVereaters Anonymous) is a 12-Step, 12-Tradition program modeled on that of Alcoholics Anonymous.

Surprising to many, it's not really about the food. It's about the feelings and emotions that lead us to "act out" with food (annorrexia, bullimia, or compulsive overeating). Or as it's often put, "It's not about what we're eating. It's about what's eating us."

If you have an unhealthy relationship with food, regardless of your size or weight, you are welcome. Attend a meeting and check it out. Better yet, attend at LEAST 6 meetings before making that decision. If you can. spread those meetings out between 2-6+ different groups as each has a particular "flavor" and one may be a better fit for you than another.

There is a page on the main website ( http://www.oa.org/membersgroups/find-a-meeting/ ) where you can look for meatings near you. I highly recommend it.
  • frodocofield
    Options
    I am a member of OA (I'm giving this site a try as part of my food plan), and I have never felt better, more centered or emotionally/mentally healthier. Yes, OA is a 12 step program. And it's funny for some people to think of food as an addiction. But I have heard and read many people in all of my many diets over the course of my adult life talk about emotional eating or eating to cope, and for me, OA has been my solution to that need to use food to deal with life. Not only am I down 4 sizes and still losing (and I never had more than 45ish pounds to lose at my heaviest, though often the perception of OA is that everyone is morbidly obese), but I also don't obsess about food, dieting or my body anymore. This is just my experience, so take it for what it's worth-- but I am two years free of binge eating and bulimia. Nothing else ever worked for me, and I tried every diet out there. If you're getting a nudge to try it, maybe give it a shot? Hopefully this is helpful!