Post Workout Recovery

Options
Figured it made more sense to put this under the nutrition section since it seems more food-related than workout related... to me at least.
I'm looking for suggestions on additives for my post workout shake to help with recovery and help speed away the soreness. I wrestled in high school, and even in the years that I haven't worked out since then, I've always felt that a good work should "hurt" later... but with the nutrition available to us, as well as "home-remedies," there have got to be time-tested ways to get that same great pump and dead-tired workout without the day(s) or soreness.

Replies

• melmargirly
    melmargirly Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    bump
  • rahlpn
    rahlpn Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I learned this from a similar post last week and this is from WebMD:

Chocolate Milk Refuels Muscles After Workout
    Study Shows Carbohydrates and Protein in Chocolate Milk Help Muscles Recover From Exercise
    AAA.By Charlene Laino

WebMD Health NewsReviewed by Laura J. Martin, MDJune 4, 2010 -- Fat-free chocolate milk beat out carbohydrate sports drinks at helping to rebuild and refuel muscles after exercise, researchers report.

The combination of carbohydrates and protein in low-fat chocolate milk appears to be "just right" for refueling weary muscles, says William Lunn, PhD, an exercise scientist at the University of Connecticut.

"It's not just a dessert item, but it's very healthy, especially for endurance athletes," Lunn tells WebMD.

The research involved eight male runners in good physical shape who ate a balanced diet for two weeks. At the end of each week, they took a fast paced, 45-minute run.

Following each run, the men drank either 16 ounces of fat-free chocolate milk or 16 ounces of a carbohydrate-only sports beverage with the same number of calories.

Post-exercise muscle biopsies showed increased skeletal muscle protein synthesis -- a sign that muscles were better able to rebuild -- after the milk drink, compared with the carb-only beverage.

Additionally, drinking fat-free chocolate milk led to a higher concentration of glycogen, or muscle fuel, in muscles 30 and 60 minutes after exercise, compared with the sports drink. Replenishing glycogen after exercise helps future performance, Lunn says.

The findings were presented at the American College of Sports Medicine conference in Baltimore this week.

While only men were studied, one would expect women to gain the same post-workout benefits from chocolate milk, he says.

While the studies were small, there's no reason not to reach for fat-free chocolate milk after your next workout, says sports nutritionist Nancy Clark, MS, RD, of Healthworks Fitness Center in Chestnut Hill, Mass.

"Athletes can consider it an inexpensive nutritional alternative to engineered sports beverages for help with post-workout recovery," she tells WebMD.

The studies were supported by a grant from the National Dairy Council and National Fluid Milk Processor Promotion Board.

This study was presented at a medical conference. The findings should be considered preliminary as they have not yet undergone the "peer review" process, in which outside experts scrutinize the data prior to publication in a medical journal.
  • footiechick82
    footiechick82 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    My old trainer use to tell me to buy a dark chocolate bar and have one piece (or 2 if I worked really hard) and it helps with muscle pain. Whether or not it really worked, I don't know. He just said there is something in the cocoa that helps with pain relief of muscles.

I also like to eat bananas if it's early morning - pottasium helps. However, kiwi has more potassium.

I'm no expert - so wait for others replies :)

Edit: I have my chocolate protein shakes after my workouts.
  • jennfranklin
    jennfranklin Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I always eat a banana along with my protein shake, the carbs help with recovery
  • blackmantis
    blackmantis Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Glutamine supplement is what you need. After my workout I use 2 scoops of ON whey powder with a scoop of met-rx glutamine powder with 2 tbsp of BlackStrap Molasses. That's 14grams of glutamine after workout and before bed then you will be back to delicious in the morning!
  • kuntry_navy
    kuntry_navy Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    drink pickle juice

or

look into something with essential amino acids(which also comes from food).
  • fitnessfreddie
    fitnessfreddie Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I'm sure everyone can attest to their own regiment after workout, but they say that you want anywhere from a 4:1 and 2:1 ratio between carbs and protein. Personally I mix in dextrose with whey protein for an immediate post workout shake. Also ammino acids are needed to help recovery and build. The final and most.important step for soreness though is a proper warm up/cool down and stretching. Even with weightlifting it's not just for runners.
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    ... look into something with essential amino acids(which also comes from food).
    ^ This.

The ONLY thing that actually aids in recovery/repair of muscle tissue is amino acids. "Essential" are those you need for life. Glutamine, though a non-essential amino-acid, also aids in reducing DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) and overall recovery. Many protein powders include a little, but supplementing additional works better.

Also, studies suggest that not only a post-workout protein intake, but also a pre-sleep protein intake aids muscle recovery. The repair of this tissue is done when you're asleep - as such having a good availability of proteins to synthesize (because you've taken a nighttime protein shake/meal) will help.

That and get adequate rest.
  • Nutripea
    Nutripea Posts: 8
    Options
    You have 30 minutes to get fuel in.

Chocolate milk is a perfect combo of protein and carbs.
    You want a roughly 1:4 ratio of protein and carbs. Healthy fats are awesome, but post workout should be limited so as to speed up absorption of nutrients.

Almond butter on whole grain toast and a banana
    Greek yogurt with banana and honey
    oatmeal made with skim or almond milk (optional: protein powder)
    Turkey sandwich with a little avocado on whole grain
    Low sugar, junk free protein bar and an apple
    Peanut butter and an apple
    etc...

I'm a sports nutritionist :)
  • guyknight1963
    Options
    There are many products out there- I believe most of the products and suppliments are expensive "snake-oil", designed to liberate you from your money and give you very rich urine. Try eating more protiens, as part of your normal fitness plan. I am looking into the Paleo diet, that type of diet seems to make some sense. However, I am no body builder. I don't want to buy, or take a ton of expensive suppliments, pills, or magic elixars available for a price at my local GNC.
    I try to eat sensibly. i do take a genertic multi-vitamin.

After my morning workout, i eat my normal breakfast of eggs & bacon.

There is so much conflicting data available as to what you should take for a pre/-during /and post workout.

Usually, it seems like it is really just a hidden endorsement of an expensive suppliment now available at your local gym or sold at GNC.
  • Nutripea
    Nutripea Posts: 8
    Options

That and get adequate rest.
    [/quote

Yes! REST!!
  • Cassierocksalot
    Cassierocksalot Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I too swear by Glutamine. But I use 1 scoop in my water while at the gym, 1 scoop in my recovery drink after and 2 scoops throughout the day on the day after (I do boot camp 3 days a week so I'm not working out heavily every day). I also put a banana in my recovery drink to help with my shin splints and leg cramps. Good luck!
  • tomg33
    tomg33 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    When it comes to recovery the first place to look at is how you are training? Bro split, upper/lower, push/pull/legs, 5/3/1, 5x5, some sort of powerlifting or olympic method?

Or what happens?
  • albertabeefy
    Options

Or what happens?
    For most people, nothing.
    From Alan Aragon:

"a relatively recent study (Power et al. 2009) showed that a 45g dose of whey protein isolate takes appx. 50 minutes to cause blood AA levels to peak. Resulting insulin levels, which peaked at 40 minutes after ingestion, remained at elevations known to max out the inhibition of muscle protein breakdown (15-30 mU/L) for 120 minutes after ingestion. This dose takes 3 hours for insulin & AA levels to return to baseline from the point of ingestion. The inclusion of carbs to this dose would cause AA & insulin levels to peak higher & stay elevated above baseline even longer.

So much for the anabolic peephole & the urgency to down AAs during your weight training workout; they are already seeping into circulation (& will continue to do so after your training bout is done). Even in the event that a preworkout meal is skipped, the anabolic effect of the postworkout meal is increased as a supercompensatory response (Deldicque et al, 2010). Moving on, another recent study (Staples et al, 2010) found that a substantial dose of carbohydrate (50g maltodextrin) added to 25g whey protein was unable to further increase post-exercise net muscle protein balance compared to the protein dose without carbs. Again, this is not to say that adding carbs at this point is counterproductive, but it certainly doesn’t support the idea that you must get your lightning-fast post-exercise carb orgy for optimal results.

Something that people don’t realize is that there’s no “magic anabolic window” that’s open for a short period of time near the workout & then rapidly disappears. As a result of a single training bout, the receptivity of muscle to protein dosing can persist for at least 24 hours (Burd et al, 2011)."
  • Asrafel1337
    Asrafel1337 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    That's a lot of really helpful information, much faster than I expected. Thanks.
    I'm definitely going to look into Glutamine and give the before-bed protein a shot on this weeks rotation.
  • shivles
    shivles Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Anything low fat with a 1:4 protein to carb ratio, greek yogurt with honey and banana is my favorite but I like a pb+j too
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    I just try to eat a normal meal within an hour after workout. I've chased the nutrient timing train before, and agree with those who say it doesn't matter.
  • albertabeefy
    Options
    BTW an excellent article on pre/post workout nutrition was recently published (Jan., 2013) in the jissn: Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition. It details differences for various types of athletes, talks specifically about protein and carbohydrate pre/post workout requirements, and is available for review here:

http://www.jissn.com/content/10/1/5

And it's an excellent read.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    I just try to eat a normal meal within an hour after workout. I've chased the nutrient timing train before, and agree with those who say it doesn't matter.

Agreed.

I have had no loss of lean body mass and no symptoms of over training since I have stopped worrying about the "glycogen and muscle repair window" after exercise. All it has done is allow me to reserve more calories for later in the day when I'm actually hungry.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Some people like a cigarette.