Post Workout Recovery

Options
2»

Replies

• JTS_go
    JTS_go Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Arnica (topical, or the little bead-like pieces you let melt under your tongue): http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/09/17/the-alternative-medicine-cabinet-arnica/

It also really works if you have to do something like work a convention and you're on your feet all day, or if you're a retail worker who stands and walks all day.
  • DennyHodge
    DennyHodge Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Keep it simple.

20-30 minutes after a workout you need carbs (to restore glycogen in the muscles), and protein (to repair muscles).

I drink a protein shake or eat a banana (carbs and potassium) with some chocolate milk. Sometimes chocolate milk on it's own, or a banana and some G2 Gatorade.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    You have 30 minutes to get fuel in.

I'm a sports nutritionist :)

No. This is simply not true.
  • bodyrollin
    bodyrollin Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I used to get really sore from my workouts, like couldn't walk a couple days after an intense lower body session, but ever since I started with the enzyme supplement/treatment the worst I get is just a general soreness that is not too bad and as soon as the muscle warms up can be worked again without pain...so here's what I use...

In my daily oatmeal 1 scoop of muscle milk powder

I use a protease enzyme supplement (aids with more efficient processing of the protein)

I also use the sitosterol from universal nutrition (it's a natural mostly plant derived anti inflammatory because soreness is actually caused by te bodys inflammatory response, and while you can use a NSAID like ibuprofen, there are some studies that show NSAIDs can stunt muscular growth so if you're trying to develop muscles it seems a bit counterintuitive.)

And a post workout muscle milk shake made with 2 scoops of powder, an 12 oz unsweetened almond milk.

Plenty of dark green veg too, especially leafy greens...

I'm not an expert, this is just the solution that has worked for me, and what I found through the research I did.
  • Skeels
    Skeels Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Protein shake and some kind of healthy eats
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    Some people like a cigarette.

meh, I reload too fast for that.
  • samgolod
    samgolod Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    boiled eggs or skimmed milk, hemp powder and black strap molasses
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    That's a lot of really helpful information, much faster than I expected. Thanks.
    I'm definitely going to look into Glutamine and give the before-bed protein a shot on this weeks rotation.

Are you lacking protein from your diet currently? Do you just like the taste of glutamine? Do not expect to see any real benefit from this....You could send me your money and have the same effect.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17618004

Make sure your protein power does have BCAAs or consider supplementing those..

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18974721
  • alits
    alits Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend has worked out for 2 years + now and since I just started he suggested I try using amino acids during my work out. I have been using xtend, (http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/sv/xtend.html) theres the link to get an idea of what it is, I like it and it seems to help. I am sore for a little while in the morning two days after I work out that specific body part and it's not a terrible soreness. I eat a banana everyday for breakfast which also may help.

The xtend tastes delicious too!
  • tomg33
    tomg33 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    For most people, nothing.
    From Alan Aragon:
    Something that people don’t realize is that there’s no “magic anabolic window” that’s open for a short period of time near the workout & then rapidly disappears. As a result of a single training bout, the receptivity of muscle to protein dosing can persist for at least 24 hours (Burd et al, 2011)."

Yes, that is what I was getting at. I think pre-, 'peri-,' and post- workout is very overrated and is a serious case of majoring in the minors for most.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Some people like a cigarette.

QFT
  • bfitnbfab
    bfitnbfab Posts: 79
    Options
    bump
  • jmjones2002
    Options
    I've wondered the same thing. I usually come home to make a protein smoothie consisting of banana, p.butter & chocolate powder. My thing is I usually go to the gym 2x's a day..in the morning this is okay but when I don't leave the gym until 8:30p what should I have? I'be always heard no eating after 7pm & I'm afraid it'll pack the weight on. Thanks for any info!!
  • bethanylaugh
    Options
    I learned this from a similar post last week and this is from WebMD:

Chocolate Milk Refuels Muscles After Workout
    Study Shows Carbohydrates and Protein in Chocolate Milk Help Muscles Recover From Exercise
    AAA.By Charlene Laino

WebMD Health NewsReviewed by Laura J. Martin, MDJune 4, 2010 -- Fat-free chocolate milk beat out carbohydrate sports drinks at helping to rebuild and refuel muscles after exercise, researchers report.

The combination of carbohydrates and protein in low-fat chocolate milk appears to be "just right" for refueling weary muscles, says William Lunn, PhD, an exercise scientist at the University of Connecticut.

"It's not just a dessert item, but it's very healthy, especially for endurance athletes," Lunn tells WebMD.

The research involved eight male runners in good physical shape who ate a balanced diet for two weeks. At the end of each week, they took a fast paced, 45-minute run.

Following each run, the men drank either 16 ounces of fat-free chocolate milk or 16 ounces of a carbohydrate-only sports beverage with the same number of calories.

Post-exercise muscle biopsies showed increased skeletal muscle protein synthesis -- a sign that muscles were better able to rebuild -- after the milk drink, compared with the carb-only beverage.

Additionally, drinking fat-free chocolate milk led to a higher concentration of glycogen, or muscle fuel, in muscles 30 and 60 minutes after exercise, compared with the sports drink. Replenishing glycogen after exercise helps future performance, Lunn says.

The findings were presented at the American College of Sports Medicine conference in Baltimore this week.

While only men were studied, one would expect women to gain the same post-workout benefits from chocolate milk, he says.

While the studies were small, there's no reason not to reach for fat-free chocolate milk after your next workout, says sports nutritionist Nancy Clark, MS, RD, of Healthworks Fitness Center in Chestnut Hill, Mass.

"Athletes can consider it an inexpensive nutritional alternative to engineered sports beverages for help with post-workout recovery," she tells WebMD.

The studies were supported by a grant from the National Dairy Council and National Fluid Milk Processor Promotion Board.

This study was presented at a medical conference. The findings should be considered preliminary as they have not yet undergone the "peer review" process, in which outside experts scrutinize the data prior to publication in a medical journal.

I've been using chocolate milk as a cardio recovery drink for about 2 years... i buy the nesquick (no corn syrup) and mix it it with 1% or skim... not only delicious but totally effective.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    mix maltodextrin and dextrose into your protein powder so its in a 4:1 carb to protein ratio

split carbs half and half between dextrose and maltodextrin.

you'll need a scale to do this (at least at first). You can get the maltodextrin and dextrose from a baking supply company. i paid less then the cost of one tub of beach body results and recovery formula, and i got a 50 lbs bag of dextrose and a 50 lbs bag of maltodextrin.

might sound like way to much work, but if you believe enough in the research that your going to do it then you will save $100s over using any premixed recovery formula.

The most often cited article on here (in my experience) discussing the post exercise question is really just a review of a lot of research that has already been done. thier conclusion was basically that it hasn't been proved or disproved that there exist an optimum 'post exercise' nutrtion window, and one should at least eat up to 3 hrs before a work out or immediately afterwards.

as long as your not exceeding your alotted cals for the day your not hurting yourself, so you might as well do it in hopes that there really is something too it. or at least give it an honest try.... probably with a ready made product. Choose one with dextrose in it, its chemically identical to blood sugar so it will enhance the insulin effect.

Finally, the forum is a great way to get every possible answer, regardless of truth or accuracy. IMO, your much better off doing your own research.
  • fitnessfreddie
    fitnessfreddie Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    STRETCH!!! That is the easiest way to overcome DOMS. Protein and diet help plus supplements but if you want to overcome it.quickly stretch. You have to stretch for at least 45 seconds per muscle for it to count too.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    For most people, nothing.
    From Alan Aragon:
    Something that people don’t realize is that there’s no “magic anabolic window” that’s open for a short period of time near the workout & then rapidly disappears. As a result of a single training bout, the receptivity of muscle to protein dosing can persist for at least 24 hours (Burd et al, 2011)."

Yes, that is what I was getting at. I think pre-, 'peri-,' and post- workout is very overrated and is a serious case of majoring in the minors for most.

Yup, yup, yup.
  • terri0527
    terri0527 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    bump for later:smile:
  • beatlebomb
    Options
    After you get home soak in epsom salts. It really works. Magnesium and potasium
  • grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Here is an excellent article regarding post workout nutrition. It stated there is no one hour, two hour or even three our window of opportunity to get your PWO
    http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_nutrition/the_top_10_post_workout_nutrition_myths