How important is the Recovery Drink

Options
I'm just wandering about this because I'm not wild about it. (The taste)...But if people on here really think I need to be drinking this then I will start back up. I work out at about 4:30 am until about 6 or 6:30 but usually don't end up eating breakfast until about 8:30 or 9 am. All feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    I am not sure what you are having as a recovery drinks, but when I do over an hour of running, I drink chocolate milk. What is important are the fats and protein within 30 minutes of working out for faster recovery.
  • tinasullens
    tinasullens Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I'm still shocked that you don't like the taste of the P90X Recovery drink!!! Omg, I love it! I only use 1 scoop after a workout instead of two though and blend it. Do you use a blender? "A" recovery drink of some sort IS important..it doesn't necessarily have to be the P90X Recovery drink. Just create your own with the 4:1 carb/protein ratio. It's not good at all to go that long without food. Your body will start feeding off muscle instead of fat. You are defeating your purpose of doing P90X to begin with. EAT!! lol
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I am not sure what you are having as a recovery drinks, but when I do over an hour of running, I drink chocolate milk. What is important are the fats and protein within 30 minutes of working out for faster recovery.
    What chocolate milk do you buy? It's been forever since I've had any and this is the second or third time I've seen someone post about chocolate milk as a post workout drink.
  • cynthials
    cynthials Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    If you are working out and not eating for 2-3 hours afterward, you definitely need some sort of recovery drink. Chocolate milk works, as does grape juice + half scoop vanilla whey (this is what I use).
  • robinp00
    robinp00 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    The recovery drink is just as important as the workout itself. Muscle isn't built by working out, but rather by recovering. This being said, muscles require carbs and protein to build up. Without the recovery drink, your muscles are screaming for nutrients and are receiving nothing.

I don't use the P90x drink, but rather the following mix:

- Whey protein isolate (90% pure)
    - Maltodextrin carbs
    - Purple k creatine

If you take the recovery drink, your results will increase dramatically. Guaranteed.

I generally eat immediately after I finish my workout too, mainly because I workout in the evenings and don't want to eat too late.